Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Fulham

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Fab needs to get back in midfield imo and Hendo too if he comes back this season.

What we are doing by moving them is killing both our defence and midfield.

Phillips Davies Kabak Williams two from that four its not great but its a potential soultion and it puts more height in the side with Fab at CM.
    Then Fab has to change his game, we/he got found out using him as we did half way through his first season, because we weren't actually using him as a DM

Here is the Sky article which is supposed to be a glowing endorsement of him

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/11812068/why-fabinho-is-now-the-premier-leagues-best-holding-midfielder

Read it, look at the heat map, played almost exclusively central, not as a DM would play, played very high in the opposition half most of the time

If I'm an opposition manager looking at that, I'm immediately thinking, player for transition in his area, and one wide, he doesn't play across the line and when he goes so high he leaves space between himself and the defence where you'd normally expect to find a teams DM. And THAT is exactly what teams started doing to us half way through his first season, it was happening game after game after game in 18-19 after Christmas which resulted in too many draws and Jurgen having to bring Hendo in to cover duties you'd expect a DM to be doing.

Then when Hendo played at CM he organised the other 2 with him and that midfield 3 became more fluid, rotating through all the positions and that opposition player for transition always picked up and the distribution was a lot better. In a midfield 3 that is interchanging like that it is incredibly difficult for any opposition manager to designate players to play off any of them, because they're never in a fixed position

I made a lot of noise at the time about Jurgen abandoning that fluid 3 and going more rigid and our form has steadily gone to shit since he did that, it started as soon as Fab came back in, in the Southampton game, we ran out 4-0 winners eventually, but we could have been 3-0 down by half time, and they were getting in doing exactly what I describe

Honestly, I think Henderson was an accidental playmaker Jurgen never intended to happen and the fluid 3 was something orchestrated by Hendo and those playing in midfield with him that was again something Jurgen hadn't planned or wanted, but it was better, it was evolution and that no-one recognised that and tried to get a player like Fabian Ruiz in who would make that even better and instead signed a metronome player suited to an all singing all dancing passing side capable of playing through teams was just an almighty fuck up

My honest opinion now is that Jurgen and his coaching staff somehow believed they won the league through being an all singing all dancing passing side capable of playing through teams and Thiago was the evolutionary piece. We never were that team and we don't have the midfielders to use him properly and our forwards movement, as it was for 3 seasons prior to him arriving isn't suited to his abilities either

I'm all for Fab coming back into midfield, but we can't use him as we did, we have to develop him into an actual DM, teams found us out using him as we did halfway through his first season, I'd like to see him used purely as an out and out sitting DM, in front of the 2 CBs, playing across the line covering the full backs and dropping in to become the third CB, he has the ability to play like that, but if we use him as we did first season, we're toast, like in the Villa game
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    If only Klopp knew as much as some of the posters on this forum.
    If only hey 🤣🤣

And Klopp has also confirmed Ben Davies - who signed from Championship side Preston North End on deadline day - could also come into contention while outlining why the 25-year-old has yet to feature for his new club.

"Nat I think will be ready, Ben as well," said Klopp.

"For Ben, it's not easy. In our situation, we brought him in and he has to adapt, all these kind of things.

"He is a really good player, but we just have to try to make sure that the people who play with each other... if you bring one new player and then a second new player, it changes everything. We have to see.
    "The game could come too quick for Ozan but Nat should be ready and Ben anyway."

Fabinho returned after a month on the sidelines to partner Kabak at centre-back on Thursday.

And asked about the possibility of using the Brazilian in his preferred central midfield role, Klopp added: "It would be great.

"We had a problem with Nat Phillips, who has played together with Ozan, and he couldn't play, so we had to make a decision.

"Do we take an inexperienced pairing on to the pitch or do we take Fab? We decided on Fab."

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Then Fab has to change his game, we/he got found out using him as we did half way through his first season, because we weren't actually using him as a DM

Here is the Sky article which is supposed to be a glowing endorsement of him

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/11812068/why-fabinho-is-now-the-premier-leagues-best-holding-midfielder

Read it, look at the heat map, played almost exclusively central, not as a DM would play, played very high in the opposition half most of the time

If I'm an opposition manager looking at that, I'm immediately thinking, player for transition in his area, and one wide, he doesn't play across the line and when he goes so high he leaves space between himself and the defence where you'd normally expect to find a teams DM. And THAT is exactly what teams started doing to us half way through his first season, it was happening game after game after game in 18-19 after Christmas which resulted in too many draws and Jurgen having to bring Hendo in to cover duties you'd expect a DM to be doing.

Then when Hendo played at CM he organised the other 2 with him and that midfield 3 became more fluid, rotating through all the positions and that opposition player for transition always picked up and the distribution was a lot better. In a midfield 3 that is interchanging like that it is incredibly difficult for any opposition manager to designate players to play off any of them, because they're never in a fixed position

I made a lot of noise at the time about Jurgen abandoning that fluid 3 and going more rigid and our form has steadily gone to shit since he did that, it started as soon as Fab came back in, in the Southampton game, we ran out 4-0 winners eventually, but we could have been 3-0 down by half time, and they were getting in doing exactly what I describe

Honestly, I think Henderson was an accidental playmaker Jurgen never intended to happen and the fluid 3 was something orchestrated by Hendo and those playing in midfield with him that was again something Jurgen hadn't planned or wanted, but it was better, it was evolution and that no-one recognised that and tried to get a player like Fabian Ruiz in who would make that even better and instead signed a metronome player suited to an all singing all dancing passing side capable of playing through teams was just an almighty fuck up

My honest opinion now is that Jurgen and his coaching staff somehow believed they won the league through being an all singing all dancing passing side capable of playing through teams and Thiago was the evolutionary piece. We never were that team and we don't have the midfielders to use him properly and our forwards movement, as it was for 3 seasons prior to him arriving isn't suited to his abilities either

I'm all for Fab coming back into midfield, but we can't use him as we did, we have to develop him into an actual DM, teams found us out using him as we did halfway through his first season, I'd like to see him used purely as an out and out sitting DM, in front of the 2 CBs, playing across the line covering the full backs and dropping in to become the third CB, he has the ability to play like that, but if we use him as we did first season, we're toast, like in the Villa game
    If he played as a traditional defensive midfielder his heat map would be behind the cbs considering how much on top and how far up the pitch we played in that period. Can’t play a defensive midfielder and press high up the pitch really can you?

Thing is Nineteen I judge with my eyes mainly not heat maps.

All players have strengths and weaknesses you can say we will target Fabinho here and Trent over there.....it all looks good on paper but when the whistle is blown its who performs best and takes their chances.

Fabinho is good at CB but I like him in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    If only Klopp knew as much as some of the posters on this forum.
    Going by the after match reaction on here last night, that wouldn't be too hard.

Its a bit strange that milner gets on ahead of keita in a game we are chasing. As much as i love the guy his pace has gone, and he doesnt score now that salah takes the pens. Id put fab, keita and 1 other in midfield and start jota and origi ahead of mane and firmino. If the regulars are physically exhausted then bench them, if they are mentally exhausted no point them.being in the squad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_mAFuIjAz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMDaWJiWCk

Quick, direct, being direct and using the counter press to get the win in both

An example of exactly what I have said about Joe for Wolves goal too, sees Jiminez, Trent is never in a position to get right side of him, but Joe leaves him anyway to go into an area where he's taken himself out of the game

Play deeper, try and nick it off them in different areas than as high as normal and break on them, quickly and directly

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Thing is Nineteen I judge with my eyes mainly not heat maps.

All players have strengths and weaknesses you can say we will target Fabinho here and Trent over there.....it all looks good on paper but when the whistle is blown its who performs best and takes their chances.

Fabinho is good at CB but I like him in midfield.
    So, Legs, halfway through his first season we didn't have a run of too many draw from getting done on the counter as I describe and we didn't bring Hendo in at RCM to try and stop that

People talk about the team being found out, the same people won't accept we got found out using Fab as we did halfway through his first season, I judge with my eyes also, and I've seen too many successful transitions through his area to release a player wide for the counter when he's high pressing far too many times succesfully and far too many nearly times, when that player for transition was found and it was on and he fluffed his ball, just absolutely loads of them, all game in that Villa game

Let's just play him as we did first season then and see what happens, another Villa most likely, I'd actually like that, it's not going to make any difference to our league situation now anyway, maybe at least the gaffer and the fabled analysis team will see it belatedly
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 5th March 2021 at 05:50 PM.