Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stop the self pity

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    The last time we had a serious dip after some 'fantastic times' it took us 30 years to get back to such a level. I don't know about you, but quite a few others are likely to not be around in 30 years time, some of us a lot sooner than that.
    Noods did you not read my posts.
    1983/84 league title, league cup and European cup winners
    1984/85 (souness had left) first 11 league games 11 points, 20th position in league but managed to finish 2nd and also get to European cup final.
    1985/86 new manager Kenny
    League and FA cup double

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Noods did you not read my posts.
    1983/84 league title, league cup and European cup winners
    1984/85 (souness had left) first 11 league games 11 points, 20th position in league but managed to finish 2nd and also get to European cup final.
    1985/86 new manager Kenny
    League and FA cup double
    It's not how you start, but how you finish, as shown by both us and Man City this season. Do you honestly see this current side getting back to another CL final, never mind winning it and/or winning another PL title? I know I don't.

This team/squad needed serious investment as a result of both our thin squad and how Klopp plays. We failed to do that and as a result we now find ourselves in a major decline. Given that we're likely to miss out on the CL, and because FSG are tight gits, the even bigger investment we now need is even less likely than it was before, even more so given the team is getting older/is burned out

If that makes you think we're suddenly going to turn things around as we did in 84-86 when we had better players and a much better squad, be my guest. As It is I think unless FSG get their head out of their backsides, or they sell to someone who is willing to invest in the team (I don't want to be a state run/oil club by the way) it is much more likely we're going to go back to being 'also rans' hoping that we have the odd good season where we win a domestic cup, or go on a run in the CL, if indeed we're actually playing in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    It's not how you start, but how you finish, as shown by both us and Man City this season. Do you honestly see this current side getting back to another CL final, never mind winning it and/or winning another PL title? I know I don't.

This team/squad needed serious investment as a result of both our thin squad and how Klopp plays. We failed to do that and as a result we now find ourselves in a major decline. Given that we're likely to miss out on the CL, and because FSG are tight gits, the even bigger investment we now need is even less likely than it was before, even more so given the team is getting older/is burned out

If that makes you think we're suddenly going to turn things around as we did in 84-86 when we had better players and a much better squad, be my guest. As It is I think unless FSG get their head out of their backsides, or they sell to someone who is willing to invest in the team (I don't want to be a state run/oil club by the way) it is much more likely we're going to go back to being 'also rans' hoping that we have the odd good season where we win a domestic cup, or go on a run in the CL, if indeed we're actually playing in the competition.
    Dear Noods
    I answered your original question.
    Regarding the current situation it is obviously very different.
    After 1983/84 and Souness had left it took Joe Fagan quite a while as to how best replace him. The answer was not in 1 but in 2 players - Ronnie Whelan and Jan Molby.
    Current situation is different but I think the answer may be similar - needs some lateral thinking.
    Bob Paisley made a great change with Ray Kennedy.
    Whoops battery low!

We need 4 players in my opinion of real quality. Not 5 million+ add ons.

Firstly another centre back to partner Van Djik.. Another midfielder.. A wide player who can get down the by line and get the ball a cross and a number 9 a real forward not some pretend number 9.
    We have played in front of teams too often this season..its no coincidence we have failed to score in most games recently.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Dear Noods
    I answered your original question.
    Regarding the current situation it is obviously very different.
    After 1983/84 and Souness had left it took Joe Fagan quite a while as to how best replace him. The answer was not in 1 but in 2 players - Ronnie Whelan and Jan Molby.
    Current situation is different but I think the answer may be similar - needs some lateral thinking.
    Bob Paisley made a great change with Ray Kennedy.
    Whoops battery low!
    That was a masterstoke, considering he played all his time at Arsenal upfront. It was his ball to Fairclough that put us through against St Etienne.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Get a grip everyone.
    We have been here before and have come back.
    Time to support the manager and his team!
    Quite right
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    That was a masterstoke, considering he played all his time at Arsenal upfront. It was his ball to Fairclough that put us through against St Etienne.
    Hope you can see this link Skyebo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abbJZPLh4M
    And soon to follow ...from the 1977 final ... A reference to that master stroke that even Shankly could not follow...' I think the commentator is referring to Ray Kennedy' s change of position, but he is not mentioned explicitly.

Hope you can see this link Skyebo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abbJZPLh4M
    And soon to follow ...from the 1977 final ... A reference to that master stroke that even Shankly could not follow...' I think the commentator is referring to Ray Kennedy' s change of position, but he is not mentioned explicitly.
    Thanks for the link, just watched the goals from the game. Great memories.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.