Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stop the self pity

Not sure I believe that, but, every time I saw Trent on footage coming out of the tunnel before games he was quaffing a Red Bull I think
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    It's going to be hard to shift the likes of Wilson Grujic Shaqiri Origi for much money.
    True.

Saying that, unless we were ridiculously low-balled, there's a few lads I think fall under the "take-what-we-can-get" category to be Honest.

As disheartening as things are at the moment, I think there's a lot to be said for the fact that you're often, as a side, not that far away from bouncing back, be it a side finishing 5th-10th getting back into the Top Four, or a Title-challenging side that fell away getting back on the proverbial Horse.

Drogba to Chelsea (£24m)
    Henry to Arsenal (£11m)
    Van Nistelroy to Man United (£19m)
    Ronaldo to Man United (£15m)
    Torres to Liverpool (£20m)
    Suarez to Liverpool (£22.5m)

Not too much point reading into the prices (inflation, Covid situation) but those are just a few examples where one player has come in and been able to give a Club a considerable lift of sorts. This doesn't always result in Titles (Torres) but if you're in the Top Four mix we know the score when it comes to money/appeal to players and so on, so getting back towards the upper section of the Table next season is where to get started with that.

Every year there are the "shiny" players (Real Madrid and Man United used to be in the habit of buying these) and it's easy to fret when we don't purchase them (we almost never do if you think about it!) but there is a wealth of talent out there and no matter how hard they try, Man City can't buy everyone so with luck our scouting department find a couple that are on the verge of big things and can integrate them in.

Hopefully we get that ball rolling as soon as the window opens. Early business please!
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

If they did it at Dortmund too, that could also explain their demise under Klopp.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Has anyone read the article about the players being on an off cycle of overdosing on caffeine? Or something along those lines. It's a technique used in the cycling world and it has been claimed that we have been doing it for the last 3 years but are now on the off cycle. Hence the dip in performance levels.
    I read the article over the weekend. There is no proof to any of it (from what I can see in the article) but it was an interesting theory. The author claims it is used by a few different clubs.

Im no expert on this stuff and don't know much about the author so take with a pinch of salt but it was a theory I hadn't come across before.
    Straws.
    Grasping.

It's not rocket science.

We had a team that went on a crazy three year run starting from the first Champion's League final we lost and culminating in the title win last year, and not bothering to rebuild or refresh in the transfer windows in between, like,....(*sigh*)....Red nose used to do with his Manc teams.....and eventually it caught up with us as injuries, stale tactics, inflexibility of the Manager with his philosophy, complacency and carelessness with players (not taking care of their health and going for internationals when they were barely ready to play consistently for the club), a laughably thin bench (in contrast to a very strong starting eleven) and yes, also bad luck and terrible officiating calls combined in a perfect storm of calamity to lead to where we are today.

There were failures on multiple levels in the club hierarchy from ownership to the manager and training officials, who learned quick how to win a title(s) but didn't do the follow-up lessons on how to sustain success, and it's a hard lesson that everyone will have to learn.

A summer clear-out will be necessary with some infusion of fresh blood.
    Fans should be prepared for a rough start at the beginning of next season as the new team gets their legs under them, but hopefully the return of fans to Anfield, and ironically, the lack of European Football will be a massive boon in helping towards this.

Take a lesson from Chelsea when they won the title and then dropped to 12th the following season and then after a serious rebuild and having nothing but the league to concentrate on, came back and won it back the season after that,
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    True.

Saying that, unless we were ridiculously low-balled, there's a few lads I think fall under the "take-what-we-can-get" category to be Honest.

As disheartening as things are at the moment, I think there's a lot to be said for the fact that you're often, as a side, not that far away from bouncing back, be it a side finishing 5th-10th getting back into the Top Four, or a Title-challenging side that fell away getting back on the proverbial Horse.

Drogba to Chelsea (£24m)
    Henry to Arsenal (£11m)
    Van Nistelroy to Man United (£19m)
    Ronaldo to Man United (£15m)
    Torres to Liverpool (£20m)
    Suarez to Liverpool (£22.5m)

Not too much point reading into the prices (inflation, Covid situation) but those are just a few examples where one player has come in and been able to give a Club a considerable lift of sorts. This doesn't always result in Titles (Torres) but if you're in the Top Four mix we know the score when it comes to money/appeal to players and so on, so getting back towards the upper section of the Table next season is where to get started with that.

Every year there are the "shiny" players (Real Madrid and Man United used to be in the habit of buying these) and it's easy to fret when we don't purchase them (we almost never do if you think about it!) but there is a wealth of talent out there and no matter how hard they try, Man City can't buy everyone so with luck our scouting department find a couple that are on the verge of big things and can integrate them in.

Hopefully we get that ball rolling as soon as the window opens. Early business please!

A Thousand Times, THIS!

None of that 'Last day of the window' nonsense we saw in January that just had "panic buys" written all over it.
    Nothing said this season was doomed than watching the club desperately scramble to get defenders in just before the window closed and only because we had just lost BOTH our CB's (one of them a makeshift CB who's normally a midfielder and the other a crock that we unsurprisingly lost for the rest of the season), only just two days prior, when everyone and their grandmother knew since as far back as October that we needed to get at least a top-level defender in when the window opened.
    As if they had learned nowt from watching us lose both our starting Centerbacks in the beginning of the season to unforeseen injuries.

I've never seen such amateurish shite in my life.

And I hope whomever was responsible for that clown show isn't working for the club in this coming window.

And of course, the cherry on top of the comedy cake was Klopp finding out in training that neither of the two buys were really that ready to start for the team forcing him to play Hendo at the back before we also inevitably lost him for 6-8 weeks (if we're even lucky).

Fuck to all of it.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

We spend big money and we win things and not only win we play the best football most of us have ever seen . Then We spend next to nothing and we win nothing. Not only nothing but go on a shock run of poor form.
    It's spend big or fuck off in the summer with FSG for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    Straws.
    Grasping.

It's not rocket science.

We had a team that went on a crazy three year run starting from the first Champion's League final we lost and culminating in the title win last year, and not bothering to rebuild or refresh in the transfer windows in between, like,....(*sigh*)....Red nose used to do with his Manc teams.....and eventually it caught up with us as injuries, stale tactics, inflexibility of the Manager with his philosophy, complacency and carelessness with players (not taking care of their health and going for internationals when they were barely ready to play consistently for the club), a laughably thin bench (in contrast to a very strong starting eleven) and yes, also bad luck and terrible officiating calls combined in a perfect storm of calamity to lead to where we are today.

There were failures on multiple levels in the club hierarchy from ownership to the manager and training officials, who learned quick how to win a title(s) but didn't do the follow-up lessons on how to sustain success, and it's a hard lesson that everyone will have to learn.

A summer clear-out will be necessary with some infusion of fresh blood.
    Fans should be prepared for a rough start at the beginning of next season as the new team gets their legs under them, but hopefully the return of fans to Anfield, and ironically, the lack of European Football will be a massive boon in helping towards this.

Take a lesson from Chelsea when they won the title and then dropped to 12th the following season and then after a serious rebuild and having nothing but the league to concentrate on, came back and won it back the season after that,
    Agree with most of this.
    This season's schedule is crazy - Premier League/Sky/Whatnot trying to cram all the games in that they can, in order to justify the TV money.
    Many of our players are burned-out IMO - doubt it's caffeine but due to a punishing schedule.
    The number of injuries we've had to "key" players is ridiculous - Virgil, Joe Gomez, Jordan, Jota - and has caused our line-ups to be al over the place. What is it now, 16 different centre-back pairings after just 26 games?
    I'm obviously concerned we're having an awful season, but believe we should come back stronger. We obviously need an influx of new players (but not too many) to freshen up the squad. I think we've missed out by not doing this after winning the Champions League.
    I wonder if FSG will allow Jurgen to get a small number of quality additions in, before the majority of our over-27/28s become wrecked through over-use?
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

OK the caffeine argument could well be a euphemism for something else. However it is evident that many of our players have broken down already. We relied on the same players for three years and now they've collapsed. That's down to under investment

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    We spend big money and we win things and not only win we play the best football most of us have ever seen . Then We spend next to nothing and we win nothing. Not only nothing but go on a shock run of poor form.
    It's spend big or fuck off in the summer with FSG for me.
    Thats where I'm at too. They need to show wether they mean business.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    If they did it at Dortmund too, that could also explain their demise under Klopp.
    That last season of Klopp's reign was so unprecedented.

I have a lot of time for stats and there was a really good article that explained how Dortmund "should" have finished higher that season - sometimes these things happen though. I'll try to dig it out. A Liverpool example might be the....was it 11/12 season(?) where we hit the woodwork a record number of times in a season and I think someone worked out that had even half gone in we scraped 4th place or something.

Granted, stats need to be read with some context - Sancho for example is an absolute assist machine for Dortmund these days which looks incredibly impressive on paper, but one has to bear in mind that he is regularly passing the ball to someone who looks a generational talent in the finishing department.