Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stop the self pity

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    OK the caffeine argument could well be a euphemism for something else. However it is evident that many of our players have broken down already. We relied on the same players for three years and now they've collapsed. That's down to under investment
    I wouldn't believe the article 100% myself. I just found it interesting. An alternative argument.
    Something is broken but as Crimson and others have said, initially I put the majority of our issues to not investing and overusing our best 11. Now though I think there could more deep root issues within the squad.

Apparently Sid, West Ham have hit the woodwork 18 times this season, the most of any team in the Prem, yet they’re having the season of their lives.
    Lies damn lies and statistics

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Has anyone read the article about the players being on an off cycle of overdosing on caffeine? Or something along those lines. It's a technique used in the cycling world and it has been claimed that we have been doing it for the last 3 years but are now on the off cycle. Hence the dip in performance levels.
    I read the article over the weekend. There is no proof to any of it (from what I can see in the article) but it was an interesting theory. The author claims it is used by a few different clubs.

Im no expert on this stuff and don't know much about the author so take with a pinch of salt but it was a theory I hadn't come across before.
    Bobby has been on decaf for 18 months now !

Too much negativity too argue bigoted minds

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Bobby has been on decaf for 18 months now !
    Keita has been on the horlicks.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

That's Rooney aint it.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    True.

Saying that, unless we were ridiculously low-balled, there's a few lads I think fall under the "take-what-we-can-get" category to be Honest.

As disheartening as things are at the moment, I think there's a lot to be said for the fact that you're often, as a side, not that far away from bouncing back, be it a side finishing 5th-10th getting back into the Top Four, or a Title-challenging side that fell away getting back on the proverbial Horse.

Drogba to Chelsea (£24m)
    Henry to Arsenal (£11m)
    Van Nistelroy to Man United (£19m)
    Ronaldo to Man United (£15m)
    Torres to Liverpool (£20m)
    Suarez to Liverpool (£22.5m)

Not too much point reading into the prices (inflation, Covid situation) but those are just a few examples where one player has come in and been able to give a Club a considerable lift of sorts. This doesn't always result in Titles (Torres) but if you're in the Top Four mix we know the score when it comes to money/appeal to players and so on, so getting back towards the upper section of the Table next season is where to get started with that.

Every year there are the "shiny" players (Real Madrid and Man United used to be in the habit of buying these) and it's easy to fret when we don't purchase them (we almost never do if you think about it!) but there is a wealth of talent out there and no matter how hard they try, Man City can't buy everyone so with luck our scouting department find a couple that are on the verge of big things and can integrate them in.

Hopefully we get that ball rolling as soon as the window opens. Early business please!
    Good post. Lot of sense talked on this thread. As you say one signing could be the difference between mediocrity and glory. Van Dijk is the obvious one in recent times. If we could find a special player to come in in midfield or attack it could give us a big lift.