Thread: RIP 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler

RIP 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler

Former undisputed middleweight world champion 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler has died at the age of 66.

The American dominated the middleweight division from 1979 until his controversial defeat by Sugar Ray Leonard in April 1987.

"Today, unfortunately my beloved husband Marvelous Marvin passed away unexpectedly at his home here in New Hampshire," his wife Kay Hagler said.

Hagler took part in 67 fights during his 14-year professional career.

He won 62 of those, 52 by knockout, while he drew two and lost three times.

Hagler made 12 successful title defences and famously won the classic fight known as 'The War', when he beat Thomas 'Hit Man' Hearns in April 1985.

"Boxing lost an all-time great today," said boxing promoter Frank Warren.

Former world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan said he was "shocked and deeply saddened" to hear of the "incredible" Hagler's death.

The Irishman added: "I'm honoured to have spent some amazing times with him. My heartfelt sympathies to his wife Kay and his family. Rest in Peace Champ."

British heavyweight Derek Chisora said Hagler was "one of the greatest".
    Last edited by RedNoodle; 14th March 2021 at 05:21 AM.

Just read about it. Unexpected as he hadnt been ill. Legend of a fighter and the best in that golden age middleweight era, as much as I love boxing its not what it used to be.
    RIP Marvellous Marvin.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Former undisputed middleweight world champion 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler has died at the age of 66.

The American dominated the middleweight division from 1979 until his controversial defeat by Sugar Ray Leonard in April 1987.

"Today, unfortunately my beloved husband Marvelous Marvin passed away unexpectedly at his home here in New Hampshire," his wife Kay Hagler said.

Hagler took part in 67 fights during his 14-year professional career.

He won 62 of those, 52 by knockout, while he drew two and lost three times.

Hagler made 12 successful title defences and famously won the classic fight known as 'The War', when he beat Thomas 'Hit Man' Hearns in April 1985.

"Boxing lost an all-time great today," said boxing promoter Frank Warren.

Former world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan said he was "shocked and deeply saddened" to hear of the "incredible" Hagler's death.

The Irishman added: "I'm honoured to have spent some amazing times with him. My heartfelt sympathies to his wife Kay and his family. Rest in Peace Champ."

British heavyweight Derek Chisora said Hagler was "one of the greatest".
    I was at that fight between Marvin and Leonard i also saw a few of Tommy Hearns fights live. RIP Marvin (He was my Fav Fighter at that time)

RIP Marvin

A true great indeed...Ironically only last week I sat and watched the fights against Sugar Ray Leonard in 1987 and in 1980 when he demolished Alan Minter in 3 rounds on Youtube....RIP....