Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Arsenal

I know Jota scores a few but his link up play is poor. When Mané and Salah are on it they are a level above and I really don’t think Jota can play Bobby’s role.

19, I cannot believe you are suggesting we drop Fabinho, did he steal your lunch money or something ? Him at 6, Henderson further forward, surely

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I fancy Arsenal to give us a bumming anyway to be honest. They looked confident against Spurs even after going behind and they can score goals unlike Wolves.

We look a shambles in truth - anyone who can stomach it - try watching last nights game again,
    If we have an organiser in midfield we have a much better chance, our lads have been deathly quiet in Hendo's absence, but like us, Arsenal are a much better side than their points tally suggests this season, I've watched quite a few of their games, they've been like many of ours when they have dominated, played the better football, wasted too many chances and then made a mistake to cost them a goal or they've been on the wrong end of VAR decisions which would have seen them get a point and possibly more from quite a few games

Jurgen loves Fab, enough to break the golden rules of "The player who has the shirt" and "if it aint broken don't fix it" to accommodate him as he did last season when he returned and we'd been playing the best I'd ever seen us play under Jurgen in Fab's absence, as the results clearly showed, so given how potent Arsenal's left hand side is, with Tierney surely threatening Robbo's place as a starter at LB in the Scotland set up looking at the form of both, I expect we'll probably see

Alisson

Trent Phillips Kabak Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum

Salah Jota Mane

Could possibly work, but if Hendo's high pressing and Fab leaves their player for transition to get involved in that with both Gini and Hendo ahead of him, we will be in trouble

Plus sides are Hendo will help combat their left side and he can play the switches for Mane and Robbo, as can Trent, and he can put quality crosses in and play the attempted balls over the top including down the line for Mo, but as he was the player in the centre who orchestrated our press, counter press and a lot of the movement to support certain kinds of balls and he can't do that the same from RCM, I'd just rather have him at CM as all of that movement and automation desperately needs whipping back into shape
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Are you expecting Hendo to be fit for the Arsenal game? I though he was out for ages?

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I know Jota scores a few but his link up play is poor. When Mané and Salah are on it they are a level above and I really don’t think Jota can play Bobby’s role.

19, I cannot believe you are suggesting we drop Fabinho, did he steal your lunch money or something ? Him at 6, Henderson further forward, surely
    Problem with that and my issue with Fab, is that he will still go high pressing and leave the opposition player for transition when Hendo and Gini are both already ahead of him, it's what led to Arsenal scoring the opening goal in our 3-1 against them in the first meeting.

I've seen him do it 8 times in his 2 games already, he really really needs coaching, if somebody would just tell him, in no uncertain terms, that when the other 2 midfielders are ahead of him and the opposition player for transition is in his area central aiming to be found between our midfield and defence and release a runner wide on either side behind our 2 midfielders ahead of him, he can NOT saunter upfield and fucking leave that player.

If one of our players loses the ball or misses a tackle in this situation, him having his usual rush of blood to go charging to try and make a tackle he is never in a million years going to make IS NOT the best way to defend that situation, not fucking ever.

The best way to defend that situation if he stays with his man so there isn't an easy option for transition, if their player starts driving the ball forward, him staying with his man to the point he gets so far he can go and challenge him and one of our CBs has been able to read the situation and is well placed to pick up the player he is then leaving and Gini and Hendo have had the opportunity to get back is

Jesus, I think Fab's an excellent player, but he needs coaching, he can't do what he does game after game after game after game, not once in his absence did a single player, Hendo or any of the mids that started with him he'd directed to assume the No6 role when he went high pressing leave that fucking player for transition, not fucking once

And yes, Jota's link play apart from the ball he played for Salah's goal v Leipzig is absolutely atrocious and yes he got a goal and is more likely to get us a goal than Bobby, but his overall play last night, running into blind alleys, turning into 2 or 3 opposition players, misplacing routine passes, often straight to the opposition, fucking up good attacking opportunities by passing the ball behind Trent and others numerous times was far worse than anything I've seen from the much maligned Firmino, he does do all those things, but he'll also do some very good things each game too, not very many sometimes I'll admit

Eventually we'll be able to come up with a "beyond dislike" XI.

Current 'shoe-ins' are Firmino and Fabinho, with maybe Wijnaldum, Henderson, and possibly even Salah and or Mane in the running to make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Are you expecting Hendo to be fit for the Arsenal game? I though he was out for ages?
    There was an update from Jurgen a couple of weeks back that said he'd possibly be back after the international break, physioroom has his potential return date as 10th April, so maybe the Arsenal game will come too early, in which case I'd probably play Gini at RCM to combat Arsenal's left side, certainly not the increasingly leggy Millie whose age is definitely catching up with him

I'd be tempted to play Keita LCM, however, we need a player who can at least look to play the switches with some quality if Gini's sitting and Trent's looking to burst into the space they've left ahead of him and unless we play Thiago, we won't have a single player who can do that whoever the third midfielder is

Our midfield's range of passing and passing ability, given the strengths of our other players and how we've consistently scored most of our goals the last few seasons, with the exceptions of Hendo and Thiago, is quite frankly, absolutely abysmal, even fucking McTominay's and Fred's passing is better than all our midfielders except Hendo's and Thiago's
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 16th March 2021 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    Eventually we'll be able to come up with a "beyond dislike" XI.

Current 'shoe-ins' are Firmino and Fabinho, with maybe Wijnaldum, Henderson, and possibly even Salah and or Mane in the running to make the team.
    You usually get half a dozen on a matchday thread. According to a couple on a recent matchday thread, Kabak is rubbish and will never be good enough. In time, they may be correct, but certainly not after a couple of games.
    Last edited by skyebo; 16th March 2021 at 10:46 PM.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Fabinho has to play the midfield player if any to be dropped has to be Thiago.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    You usually get half a dozen on a matchday thread. According to own goal Carra, Kabak is rubbish and will never be good enough. In time, they may be correct, but certainly not after a couple of games.
    Fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Fixed that for you
    I can't believe an ex pro would come out with something like that.Totally out of order. In any case, he's lucky he still has a job after his spitting escapade a couple of years back.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.