Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you patriotic?

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Was watching Prince Philip's funeral today, and noticed the amount of armed forces people involved. Got me thinking about this thread - patriotism - and realised that we in the UK and also elsewhere should be grateful for the way Britain held out against the Nazis in World War 2. Just imagine where the world would be if Britain and it's Commonwealth, and other countries, hadn't repulsed Nazi Germany.
    We should be grateful for that particular generation and their spirit.
    I wonder, would the current generation be willing, or capable, of doing what that generation carried out?
    I felt much sorrow for the Queen yesterday. It was a peculiar yet majestic spectacle. Her face was hidden by her hat but she was alone in her grief - perhaps she was crying but never let it show!. For myself I never thought I would have felt such sadness for Philip but those images of his hats and gloves - wow. And that Land Rover too. The Queen is our last major connection to WWII. When she goes I fear for the UK.

Was watching Prince Philip's funeral today, and noticed the amount of armed forces people involved. Got me thinking about this thread - patriotism - and realised that we in the UK and also elsewhere should be grateful for the way Britain held out against the Nazis in World War 2. Just imagine where the world would be if Britain and it's Commonwealth, and other countries, hadn't repulsed Nazi Germany.
    I wonder, would the current generation be willing, or capable, of doing what that generation carried out?
    It's an interesting question, I'd suggest Britain wouldn't be capable of displaying such resolve today.

Amazes me how people seem to run down churchill and Britain's role in ww2.

Although eventually such a regime would inevitably fall away and in an accelerated manner compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    It's an interesting question, I'd suggest Britain wouldn't be capable of displaying such resolve today.

Amazes me how people seem to run down churchill and Britain's role in ww2.

Although eventually such a regime would inevitably fall away and in an accelerated manner compared to others.
    Why does it amaze you? It's not running it down as such but just not bigging it up as some do. There are many British who have no idea of the role other nations played in the Nazis downfall. They genuinely think it was all down to the UK and the British media are more than happy to go along with it.

I agree with that. I'm not trying to disrespect that generation ( my grandparents). It is an admirable way to live, community spirit and looking out for neighbours etc which has all but vanished.
    That generation of people had no choice and that is the sad thing. They had to live through those years which undoubtedly shaped the rest of their lives.
    I understand Patriotism from their point but in this current world it seems to be a lost point and something that the meaning of has been skewed.

Russia and Hitler being a meglamaniac who massively overstretched his forces is what won the war, without Russia's involvement and support the war would never have been won
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Russia and Hitler being a meglamaniac who massively overstretched his forces is what won the war, without Russia's involvement and support the war would never have been won
    When the decision was made to go into Russia the greatest downfall for the Germans was lack of understanding of their severe winters and was the main reason for The Germans failure.
    The troops were inadequately dressed for the weather and had no hope of survival even without gunfire.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    When the decision was made to go into Russia the greatest downfall for the Germans was lack of understanding of their severe winters and was the main reason for The Germans failure.
    The troops were inadequately dressed for the weather and had no hope of survival even without gunfire.
    Yep, that's exactly what won the war, despite what all the little Englanders say and believe and this opinion of Russia they have which was given to them by our media over the last 4 decades and Russia lost more troops than every other country too, a lot more and should be hugely recognised and rightly honoured for their incredible part in winning WW2, but never are
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

TBF any of the poor buggers that died won us the war.
    Let's be grateful the Nazis never won.

What won the War was when Hitler made the fatal mistake if holding back on taking Moscow. It was summer and they were just a few km outside and ready to go in and take it. The Russians at that point were on the brink and would have surrendered.
    They waited though on Hitler orders, the Winter came and it turned the tide of the war.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    TBF any of the poor buggers that died won us the war.
    Let's be grateful the Nazis never won.
    Exactly Ian. Nobody really won anything, people only lost.