Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Nat Philips

I love what Phillips is achieving. I hope for our sake he stays.

It's an uncomfortable thing to say but we just don't know how Van Dijk is going to be when he comes back. There's a possibility he could be a "Kompany" in that he is imperious when he plays, but can't play 80% of games anymore.

If there was a "third" of the pitch where I'd rather we have one or two "extra" players than how you'd normally construct a squad (defence, midfield, attack) then, after this season, I'd pick defence as the area.

As for the construction of the numbers, people keep mentioning Matip - in a Covid-influenced economic climate do we really foresee anyone coming in for him with a fee we would accept? I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we got bidders for him - people will want a sure thing as we ease out of the Covid situation and Matip is a player who regularly unavailable with niggles.

Sid i think matip has about 3yrs remaining on big wages. Was he a free xfer in? Not sure but its believed he negotiated a big salary. I doubt he would want to leave and no-one will offer him the same terms unless he was available for every game - if that were true we would want to keep him.

Very good player when fit but poor value for money so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I love what Phillips is achieving. I hope for our sake he stays.

It's an uncomfortable thing to say but we just don't know how Van Dijk is going to be when he comes back. There's a possibility he could be a "Kompany" in that he is imperious when he plays, but can't play 80% of games anymore.

If there was a "third" of the pitch where I'd rather we have one or two "extra" players than how you'd normally construct a squad (defence, midfield, attack) then, after this season, I'd pick defence as the area.

As for the construction of the numbers, people keep mentioning Matip - in a Covid-influenced economic climate do we really foresee anyone coming in for him with a fee we would accept? I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we got bidders for him - people will want a sure thing as we ease out of the Covid situation and Matip is a player who regularly unavailable with niggles.
    Agree about Matip. No way we are shifting him. He'll probably see out his contract which has a couple of years left on it if I remember rightly.
    The players we'd like to see go will be hard to shift as its obviously not only us who see the issue with their fitness and availability.

Matip us brilliant his contract is up 2024 I believe.

He will be taking around £15m in wages at least.

It sounds harsh but we could accept £5-10m for him.

As good as he is he is only available for 20% of games I dont like writing this but with my business head on...what do you do ?

Thank god Klopp ended up starting Phillips over Williams

Was crazy at the time, As I said on here that williams started over him at first.

Reminds of Hyppia no nonsense tough as nails

Still only just turned 24. Lots of time to improve on any shortcomings. At same age Virgil was still at Celtic and about to join Southampton and still not on many people's radar. Not saying he is showing the same potential as Virgil but he may be an as yet unpolished gem given sufficient top quality game time.

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    Reminds of Hyppia no nonsense tough as nails
    Agree with the no nonsense tough part. But to me he reminds me of the big Greek! Kyrgiakos. Hyppia for me was very special

Still very much in the "keep" camp. He can give the likes of Van Dijk or Gomez a rest via his availability for Cup games, can help us close games out by coming on for the last 10 minutes to head away crosses and also might cause the occasional problem for the opposition when we have late set pieces of our own against the opposition.

He isn't a natural "fit" to our system, but as 4th/5th choice (I hope we have 5 centre-backs next season, not including the emergency option of Fabinho) I don't think that is SO important.

His stock won't be higher and I will begrudgingly understand if the Club decide to sell, but in terms of availability when you look at our other centre-backs (Van Dijk, Gomez and apparently Konate) I'd far rather have Phillips or Kabak than Matip - Matip's an imperious player when fit, but he is the Daniel Sturridge of centre-backs.

Agreed Sid. I'm very much of the option he's a perfectly serviceable 4th choice defender. He's been the one shining light of this all round rubbish season.

Means we only need to bring in one new CB for next season IMHO.

I'd be interested how he'd get on alongside VVD. It could be a bit like Vidic and Ferdinand from a few years ago.