Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nat Philips

It’s 2 really. Matip is hardly ever fit. That’s why I was flabbergasted at the club for going into a title defence season with effectively 2 CB’s and one of them Gomez - who hardly has a glowing fitness record.

#Winging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It’s 2 really. Matip is hardly ever fit. That’s why I was flabbergasted at the club for going into a title defence season with effectively 2 CB’s and one of them Gomez - who hardly has a glowing fitness record.

#Winging it.
    The way we've been going through CBs, we could have had Maldini, Gentile and Franco Beresi and we'd still be relying on the the second coming of Ryan Showcross and Screech from Saved by the Bell!

Im not saying that we shouldn't have a gotten another CB in, but even if we had and they'd stayed fit they'd still be partnering Phillips or Williams.

I hope Phillips gets a good move and becomes first choice, he's been the only good thing to come out of this season.

Its sad when ex footballers have dementia later in life due to heading the ball and i'm not making light of it at all.
    But i wonder how many ex footballers will have problems later in life having clashed heads with Nat Philips? he musta headed at 3 people today. drawing blood from one guy. hes bloody dangerous at times.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Get Konate in, keep Phillips as 5th choice, cup game and see games out player, yes we need 5 because you never know how things will go after long term injuries even with the very best and most carefully managed recovery, and as it's rumoured Leipzig want Kabak, then strike a deal on the Konate front, let Kabak go and give them half of the fee (enough to sign Kabak) in advance and the rest in instalments
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I think Phillips has earned his spot as one of the four cbs. VVD Gomez Phillips and AN Other. Matip must go and Davies has never played as a red. Another CB signing is a must

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    I think Phillips has earned his spot as one of the four cbs. VVD Gomez Phillips and AN Other. Matip must go and Davies has never played as a red. Another CB signing is a must
    Virgil, Matip, Gomez, Phillips and sign Konate

Phillips has done an incredible job, but he's not a fourth choice CB for a team with our aspirations, we have to and have had to significantly alter how we play because of our loss of all our pace at CB, even the above medium pace of Matip and if our aspirations are to win the Premier League and Champions League, then we need to be able to play 2 v 2 at the back with a very high line against top top players, Phillips doesn't and never will give us that.

He will be a great player to keep around in the group, great for Cup games, great to have as an option to see games out when teams are looking to bombard our area and backline with long balls and crosses late on in games, honestly, for all his heroics this season, he's not as good in those situations as Virgil, Matip or Konate and doesn't have their pace or many of their other abilities AND we need 5 CBs, you can't start the season with 4, 3 of whom have had serious long term injuries and assume 2 of that 3 are going to not have any pains and strains or short term to mid term tweaks

On this subject an awful lot of people seem to have lost sight of what we need in a CB to be at our best and play as the team was built to play and that part of our severe loss of form at the turn of the year was because not having pace, at least medium to quick pace in both our CBs meant we had to play differently and during that loss of form we were working on how to play differently because of our injuries successfully and consistently, but this is an emergency way of playing and getting through, not how we will have to play if we want to win the games biggest prizes

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    I want 5 centre-backs if possible. If it were up to me (it isn't) I'd go -

Van Dijk
    Gomez
    Konate
    Transfer*
    Phillips

I adore Matip. If he stays, I'll be behind him and behind the decision. But I view players coming back from major injuries as "half" players - so if Van Dijk, Gomez and Konate have injury record issues, we have "one and a half" centre-backs there and we need two more players to make a reasonable "three and a half" centre-backs.

I'd have happily kept Kabak as he has age on his side, but I don't think we hang onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I want 5 centre-backs if possible. If it were up to me (it isn't) I'd go -

Van Dijk
    Gomez
    Konate
    Transfer*
    Phillips

I adore Matip. If he stays, I'll be behind him and behind the decision. But I view players coming back from major injuries as "half" players - so if Van Dijk, Gomez and Konate have injury record issues, we have "one and a half" centre-backs there and we need two more players to make a reasonable "three and a half" centre-backs.

I'd have happily kept Kabak as he has age on his side, but I don't think we hang onto him.
    I thought Kabak did ok, I wouldn't want us to sign him, because he's just not good enough in the air in either box, in the Prem and against certain Champions League sides, that's a problem, it was always be a problem.

I'm really hoping Matip can get fit and stay fit by not playing so many games back to back, and the same with Konate who I believe will be a Liverpool player next season.

The thing with having Virgil at LCB is teams will always target your weaker centre back, with Matip and Konate, there isn't any obvious weakness to target, with Gomez there is and teams, including Atletico in last seasons Champions League will target any player alongside Virgil, Matip or Konate who is a weaker player, Joe was targeted successfully a few times by opposition sides, Kabak would be for the same reason

Both CBs being great in the air makes us far more dangerous at attacking set pieces too, against some opposition if players were out, I'd actually prefer Phillips at CB to Gomez, and if we have to play deeper and have a one stays one goes policy on our full backs, well, we know how to play like that now, not that Phillips is a threat at attacking set pieces, but he makes us a lot more solid at defensive set pieces and defending crosses than Joe or Kabak ever have, will or would

We also need CBs who can deal with the fall out from Fabinho charging to wherever the ball is, I honestly don't understand how his issue with that and seemingly uncontrollable urge to do that hasn't been addressed, all players fit we play a high press leaving 2v2 at the back, 3v3 including our No6 and the oppositions player for transition, and I just do not think we can afford to do that, but Jurgen either just loves Fab and thinks it's cool for the other players to pick up the slack from him doing this or believes that when it happens, we'll still score more goals than the soft one we conceded through it. I don't like it, but with a deeper line and one stays and one goes full backs or with Virgil and Matip we can deal with it, I jsut don't think we should have to, get a DM to play No6, not a destroyer, or coach the lad

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I thought Kabak did ok, I wouldn't want us to sign him, because he's just not good enough in the air in either box, in the Prem and against certain Champions League sides, that's a problem, it was always be a problem.

I'm really hoping Matip can get fit and stay fit by not playing so many games back to back, and the same with Konate who I believe will be a Liverpool player next season.

The thing with having Virgil at LCB is teams will always target your weaker centre back, with Matip and Konate, there isn't any obvious weakness to target, with Gomez there is and teams, including Atletico in last seasons Champions League will target any player alongside Virgil, Matip or Konate who is a weaker player, Joe was targeted successfully a few times by opposition sides, Kabak would be for the same reason

Both CBs being great in the air makes us far more dangerous at attacking set pieces too, against some opposition if players were out, I'd actually prefer Phillips at CB to Gomez, and if we have to play deeper and have a one stays one goes policy on our full backs, well, we know how to play like that now, not that Phillips is a threat at attacking set pieces, but he makes us a lot more solid at defensive set pieces and defending crosses than Joe or Kabak ever have, will or would

We also need CBs who can deal with the fall out from Fabinho charging to wherever the ball is, I honestly don't understand how his issue with that and seemingly uncontrollable urge to do that hasn't been addressed, all players fit we play a high press leaving 2v2 at the back, 3v3 including our No6 and the oppositions player for transition, and I just do not think we can afford to do that, but Jurgen either just loves Fab and thinks it's cool for the other players to pick up the slack from him doing this or believes that when it happens, we'll still score more goals than the soft one we conceded through it. I don't like it, but with a deeper line and one stays and one goes full backs or with Virgil and Matip we can deal with it, I jsut don't think we should have to, get a DM to play No6, not a destroyer, or coach the lad
    Just seen a stat.
    You'll love this dude. Since Fab went back into midfield we've won 23 from 27 points.
    #debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Just seen a stat.
    You'll love this dude. Since Fab went back into midfield we've won 23 from 27 points.
    #debunked.
    That's more down to the reorganisation finally taking shape and finding form, we're playing a deeper line and one full back is staying and the other going most of the time and 2 mids in front of the defence most of the time and a huge part of it is Thiago finally adjusting his game and using his passing quicker and more directly.

Burnley stats

Fab Tackle success rate 0% Duels won 25% Clearances 5 Interceptions 0
    Thiago Tackle success rate 50% Duels won 53.8% Clearances 0 Interceptions 1
    Gini Tackle success rate 0% Duels won 50% Clearances 1 Interceptions 0

Fab v West Brom Tackle success rate 0% Duels won 33.3% Clearances 0 Interceptions 0

As per my post, I'm talking about our set up all players fit when we're leaving ourselves 3v3 at the back 2 CBs and 1 No6 Since his return Fab cost us goals v Real, Villa and the filthy, through charging to where the ball is and leaving a player in his area wide open, the players he left were Modric, McGinn and Fernandes.

As we are set up and playing right now, it isn't so big an issue, because we have an extra defender and midfielder back, but even with that, he has still managed to cost us 3 goals

Another issue is players targeting him at corners, he doesn't get off the ground, he doesn't jump, there were lots of instances v Burnley where he shuffled backwards, didn't jump and the ball went over him and they got their header in, look at the one Phillips cleared off the line, Fab shuffles back, doesn't jump, when if he had he'd have put it out for another corner, Mee (I think) gets up above him behind him and Phillips saves an otherwise certain goal

Look at the West Brom goal that was correctly disallowed, which of our players didn't get off the ground and gave their lad a ride on his back to win the first header? Fab and to make it worse and highlight he is targeted, it was the same player he let do it for their equaliser at Anfield

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only detailing what has actually happened and been happening, these aren't opinions, they're facts, they're things that have happened
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 21st May 2021 at 09:20 AM.