Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Nat Philips

You have players like Alonso, Torres, Suarez, Gerrard VVD

Then you have henderson carra, Wij firmino etc.

Different class end of the day gerrard played with some utter tripe while he was with us sadly, he changed games by himself, he won them by himself, when you can say that about henderson?

when we won the league the front 3 was incredible, look at this season with a few of them, even salah not being himself, yes sure we've missed VVD etc, but a big problem has been scoring, use to be such a breeze, they all had a part to play of course, including henderson.

But without that front 3 clicking like they did, we'd never of won anything

We've been blessed with some great attackers over the last years, from SAS to these 3, it's a shame all things have to come to a end, but unlike with SAS, the rest of the team was decent, and obviously VVD allison etc, which is why we came short of the title sadly with SAS, it's criminal to think how good they was and how we didn't win it

But once again, perks of not having rich owners.

Thinking about it sturridge is one of the most underappreciated players, we've had in recent years he was incredible for a while.

I mean ffs suarez and sturridge had to play with Victor Moses... Allen.... Sakho.. flanagan Cissokho....Mignolet in goal

We've come a long way thankfully, i'd even rather are bench with origi etc better than those players. still.... big room for improvement but yeah, takes money we have none.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 21st May 2021 at 02:55 PM.

Back to the Nat Philips thread.
    He has stuck his head in where many people fear to go. And the power of his headers is immense.
    Reminiscent of a bygone era.
    He is surely aware of the dangers of doing such things but he has put himself on the line for us.
    He has his limitations but is still only 24 and may blossom alongside someone. like Virgil.
    Whatever happens at the end of this season a big thank you to Nat!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    19 - dear 19... You talk an awful lot - but your intellect is a good bit behind the level you believe it to be.

As with Hendo you are unable to differentiate between a hard worker with limited talent and a genius with talent to burn.
    Intellect? You don't even have the basic reading and comprehension skills to appreciate that throughout this thread I have been insistent that the only genuine comparisons to be made between players are those playing in the same positions and what they contribute in open play playing those positions

I wouldn't compare a left back to a forward or CB anymore than I would compare a DM to a generational talent attacking midfielder, I'd compare a LB to a LB a CB to a CB and a DM to a DM of a player operating at DM
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Back to the Nat Philips thread.
    He has stuck his head in where many people fear to go. And the power of his headers is immense.
    Reminiscent of a bygone era.
    He is surely aware of the dangers of doing such things but he has put himself on the line for us.
    He has his limitations but is still only 24 and may blossom alongside someone. like Virgil.
    Whatever happens at the end of this season a big thank you to Nat!
    Absolutely, he isn't the answer longterm, he has shown he would be a most useful back up and cup game CB and although we'd have to adjust how we play (why he isn't a longterm solution) should we need to call on him for Premier League action, we know he is more than capable of stepping in and doing that job and that we have a way we can play in those circumstances if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Absolutely, he isn't the answer longterm, he has shown he would be a most useful back up and cup game CB and although we'd have to adjust how we play (why he isn't a longterm solution) should we need to call on him for Premier League action, we know he is more than capable of stepping in and doing that job and that we have a way we can play in those circumstances if necessary
    Do you not think he still has the ability, facilities and time to develop his game to our suiting?
    Most CBs come into their prime at late 20s early 30s. It is an art matured by age.
    What do you think he lacks to fulfill a future at CB that he cannot develop over time?

The lad isn’t technically good enough.

Be like expecting Henderson to go play at Camp Nou.

He has come in and done a terrific job. Obviously he is a better solution than playing a key midfielder in there but that doesn’t mean he is any kind of first team material going into next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    The lad isn’t technically good enough.

Be like expecting Henderson to go play at Camp Nou.

He has come in and done a terrific job. Obviously he is a better solution than playing a key midfielder in there but that doesn’t mean he is any kind of first team material going into next season.
    Don't you worry my friend, FSG are signing me on a free, I'll be on the bench, not Phillips they're currently trying to sort out a contract to sell him for a few million, bit like Ben davies.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Do you not think he still has the ability, facilities and time to develop his game to our suiting?
    Most CBs come into their prime at late 20s early 30s. It is an art matured by age.
    What do you think he lacks to fulfill a future at CB that he cannot develop over time?
    If I could bless the lad with another yard or two of pace, believe me I would, that for a start

Isn't comfortable defending one v one against pace - We play defending one v one or two v two against pace all players fit

Doesn't have the ability to step into midfield quickly and timely to dispossess opposition forwards or attacking midfielders looking to receive the ball in the hole between defence and midfield that Virgil, Matip and Konate has and Joe at least has the pace to try and do, but usually commits a foul or gets done trying to do

We're trying numerous ways to further develop and enhance what we have and our play and the number of ways we can create against all teams and in particular break down PTB teams, we're linked with players who will add more creative to our midfield while also being able to play our pressing and counter pressing game, a key skill of our CBs in this is being able to step into midfield with the ball and drive it forward causing players to have to come out of their lines and engage them, Nat doesn't have that ability or the pace and agility to develop it.

The other key is we're adding more players in more positions who can pass the ball really well, at CB we missed Matip's long diagonals and attempted balls over the top and clever balls through midfield and presence at attacking and defending set pieces as much as we missed Virgil's, Konate gives us all of that and has that accurate long range passing, greater variety than any of our current CBs too, Nat doesn't offer any of that, except for he is absolutely fantastic in our own box at defending set pieces and crosses, as are the other 3 I mention, but they offer the whole package. He isn't very good at attacking set pieces, despite being a very good header of the ball, lacks that power strength and agility to muscle between players and get a great leap.

I absolutely love and hugely appreciate everything he has done so far this season, I think he can be a very good squad player for us

Its a tricky one with Nat as its clear the high line doesnt suit him but if Klopp wasnt here and someone like Simeone/Rafa were then its adifferent story.

I guess we will keep him next season unless someone offers say £12-15m.

Whatever happens he has stepped up and put the performances and desire in he is limited but as fans you cant ask for anymore.