Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Nat Philips

He'd probably do well against Van Dijk when we have to sit in a bit to see out matches. Where he might get caught out is when our line is played high, but if someone like Henderson is in our midfield to cover space left by Trent that leaves a player bombing at Phillips, it will minimise the impact.

Ideally next season I'd have 5 centre-backs as we don't know how Van Dijk and Gomez will recover.

Van Dijk
    Gomez
    Konate (?)
    Kabak (?)
    Phillips

Looks pretty good to me. Much as none of us want to see Fabinho at centre-back, he is a very serviceable emergency option as 6th choice - and by and large that should be a rare occurrence for any side. Totally fine with him playing there for 2-3 matches a season if we are desperately unlucky with injuries, but we should never be down to the bare bones like that in a "normal" season realistically.

We might be able to get Kabak on loan for the season give Schalke say £3m and pay his wages.

We could loan them Neco/Rhys Williams in return.

Phillips is not the future.
    He was a desperate option.
    He has done well .
    Not let liverpool down.
    But he is PNE level at best.
    Good luck to him in the future.

Davies will be sold in the summer.

Kabak possibly bought to sell too.

CB
    VVD konate Gomez Matip next season.

Totally agree with all
    of this - but we have to remember Matip is not back up to anyone. He can’t play more than a few games a season. So that means we need to buy 2 CB - or Konate and 1 other.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Phillips is not the future.
    He was a desperate option.
    He has done well .
    Not let liverpool down.
    But he is PNE level at best.
    Good luck to him in the future.

Davies will be sold in the summer.

Kabak possibly bought to sell too.

CB
    VVD konate Gomez Matip next season.
    We haven't bought Kabak yet unless I've missed something (and if we have would someone link me please) so I suspect we will try to haggle with Schalke to try and get him for a couple of million cheaper, due to their relegation - perhaps offering a player on loan from the youth set-up as a sweetener.

Or alternatively we'll "do a Liverpool" and go into next season with four centre-backs - Van Dijk, Gomez, Konate and Matip - and be left pulling our hair out in January
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Phillips had done very well, he should be our cup game CB and emergency cover, I know football has moved on a lot, but to be quite honest, he's like a better version of Carragher, better in the air, better with the ball, better positionally and at reading the game

If we were back when Houllier arrived, he'd be the player partnering Sami and we'd have never bought Henchoz and Carra wouldn't have got a look in, under Houliier or Rafa
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

One thing I have been a little perplexed about re Phillips is how we use him at corners, he has a tremendous leap, but not the happy knack of muscling through players levering his way into position, I've thought for a while we should just have him in a fixed position and Trent try to ping it right onto his head where he just have to get above the defenders, see how it works out and if doing that creates gaps in how opponents defend our corners and the players can be briefed at HT how they might exploit it

You’ll have some hangover Tuesday 19. All weekend on the sesh!

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    You’ll have some hangover Tuesday 19. All weekend on the sesh!
    Weekend ? He's been on it since we won the league!!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Weekend ? He's been on it since we won the league!!
    At least someone here is on it