Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Madrid v Liverpool (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    This time its different.
    Compared to 2019 v Barcelona.
    I said we would still get through at 3-0.
    The 1st leg was never a 3-0.
    And it was Barcelona who can be got at.
    This season , this team is year 4 or 5 of the cycle.
    Hunger and desire gone. 1 player wont be here next season (gini) . Others looking ahead too like Salah Mane Firmino.
    This team is older (old). Plus it doesn't have leaders like VVD and Henderson. Others are frustrated like TAA and Robertson who looked stars in the team in 2018 2019 2020.
    Now it's a struggle.

The 2nd leg isn't like Barcelona it is Real Madrid and they are snidey and will do all to get the result they need in any shape or form.

This time I don't see it so clearly. Liverpool are in bad shape, bad form, inconsistent and very far from mentality monsters.
    Also, a lot of people seem to forget that we actually dominated play in that first game with Barcelona but were toothless in front of goal and couldn't seem to finish the chances we created (the MORE chances we created).

Barcelona were clinical in the three they got - one of which was a set piece Messi masterclass work of magic that 99 out of 100 goalkeepers would never stop, and another the beneficiary of an unfortunate deflection.

The story was different in the return leg where we kept our performance and intensity level only this time we were able to finish our chances and we kept the back gate locked.

I don't see this year's team replicating anything close to that achievement next week at Anfield.
    I just don't.

The only hope of a prayer we have in my opinion is Real getting super-complacent* (AC Milan 2005 Half-time-style) and thinking they've wrapped this one up in the bag and we benefit from couple of quickfire early goals that knock them off their moorings and force them to re-set too late into the game. And even then I still think we would need a third or fought because I just DON'T see us keeping their frontline quiet with our defensive set-up and personnel.

In other words,..

...another Istanbul.

That's just not happening.

(*Add to that, I also just don't see Zidane letting them get complacent about it either as, just like us, the Champions' League is their only real hope of any silverware this season and his last chance to save his job)
    Last edited by Crimson Dynasty; 7th April 2021 at 04:14 AM.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    This time its different.
    Compared to 2019 v Barcelona.
    I said we would still get through at 3-0.
    The 1st leg was never a 3-0.
    And it was Barcelona who can be got at.
    This season , this team is year 4 or 5 of the cycle.
    Hunger and desire gone. 1 player wont be here next season (gini) . Others looking ahead too like Salah Mane Firmino.
    This team is older (old). Plus it doesn't have leaders like VVD and Henderson. Others are frustrated like TAA and Robertson who looked stars in the team in 2018 2019 2020.
    Now it's a struggle.

The 2nd leg isn't like Barcelona it is Real Madrid and they are snidey and will do all to get the result they need in any shape or form.

This time I don't see it so clearly. Liverpool are in bad shape, bad form, inconsistent and very far from mentality monsters.
    You didn't predict a lfc progression to the cl final back then Dicko

We're inconsistent but still have the ability to score a fair few goals in a single game. Concede and it's a nightmare, concede more than 1 and it will take a miracle.

As noods and another poster said, our starts to games can be defining of our games tale, if we start well and catch a break it'll take care of itself.

Here’s another one:
    If it rains in the morning and the wind changes direction around noon - it could well be sunny in the afternoon and we might all have a picnic.

The twats will dive all over the place like last night in the next leg. We need to concentrate and ignore their actions...No doubt UEFA will get a Italian ref or some one like that who will be so picky he will slow the game down to walking pace..
    But never mind. Just get the ball in the box. we can create chances.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

@CC - On the flip side

Big chief once say: sometimes bright sun in morning mean - wind will change, and big storm in afternoon come shake sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    @CC - On the flip side

Big chief once say: sometimes bright sun in morning mean - wind will change, and big storm in afternoon come shake sky.

A high point in critical analysis, well done Steveo, small steps and all

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say you were beaten by the better side.

That happened last night clearly are Madrid great ? No they are not and they are beatable but as Souness says you have to be at it from kick off.

If we start to lose ground on 4th id be leaving out Mane Robbo Trent they are knackered / out of form.

We need to freshen the squad up with fresh players this summer.....yes we should have done this before but that horse has bolted.

Next season will seeing if we can challenge for a title but being honest I expect baldy will spend £150m again and run away with the title again.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say you were beaten by the better side.

That happened last night clearly are Madrid great ? No they are not and they are beatable but as Souness says you have to be at it from kick off.

If we start to lose ground on 4th id be leaving out Mane Robbo Trent they are knackered / out of form.

We need to freshen the squad up with fresh players this summer.....yes we should have done this before but that horse has bolted.

Next season will seeing if we can challenge for a title but being honest I expect baldy will spend £150m again and run away with the title again.
    I totally underestimated Madrid. Though I still think we ballsed it up with that starting midfield.
    Hinsight and all that, but even the Ox, Milner and even young Curtis Jones would've closed Kroos and Modric quicker.
    Our starting Midfield next week will be Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I totally underestimated Madrid. Though I still think we ballsed it up with that starting midfield.
    Hinsight and all that, but even the Ox, Milner and even young Curtis Jones would've closed Kroos and Modric quicker.
    Our starting Midfield next week will be Interesting.
    As long as it doesn't include Thiago i'll be happy. Apart from getting yellow cards, he offers either nothing or very little to the team, though i thought the one last night was a tad harsh on him.
    If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just put it in the net, and we'll talk about the other options later... Bob Paisley.

Were we happy to see Kroos pinging balls towards our right back area all night, supposedly they saw that as our achilles heel even more than down the centre of our defense.
    How about this..Milner at right back and push Trent up to right side of midfield.
    Or this...Put Fabinho as the middle centre back of a three, and have Trent and Robbo as wing backs
    What do you think?