Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2424546474849505152535455 LastLast

Thread: Real Madrid v Liverpool (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    No no no. Play a game of football CC and stop trying to read your way into an understanding of the game.

This is where you and 19 miss the bleeding obvious entirely.

The players have been run into the ground.. this is what we are witnessing. This is what has to happen to win what we have!

It simply does not happen unless they are pushed that hard and for that time. It’s called a chase - a race. You try to win the league - you end up in a CL final. You lose it.

You promise to come back next year and win it. You do just that and take 97 points into the bargain missing out on the title by... drum roll... 1 sodding point!

You then get told you cannot buy any more players because you have to... wait for it... “pay the bills”..

So no new signings but the drive is there to take a title. The squad is capable IF only we can just escape another season without any majors injury...

And we go on a run from the start of the season until we’ll into February where we make the league in winnable.

Then the team crashes..

These are the hard facts.

Klopp could have tried to take it easier on the squad - no argument but we likely miss out on both number 6 and number 19.

He needed backing.. he needed far better backing than to have to do all this from the sale of Coutinho.

Those citing injury and we have had some rotten luck this season following huge luck the last 2. May I remind you - if we win today it will be our first win at home in 2021!

Is this the level we can expect while missing Gomez and Virgil?

Come on - the team has run out of gas.
    raymond verheijen (remember him) likes this.

He did have a point to be fair. Klopp isn’t blameless

Soo exactly the same as dortmund? who'd of thought it

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    He did have a point to be fair. Klopp isn’t blameless
    He's won us everything with a limited squad and spending power. I'll give him a pass on making the odd boob this season.
    As has been said by everyone, this wouldn't of happened if the owners had put their hands in their pocket and backed him.

Absolutely..And he has made plenty of mistakes..

Nobody could expect the relentless winning to continue indefinitely. This is not my argument.

The issue for me is why the huge drop? The crash in levels starting with the loss to Atletico then Watford, then Atletico again and Chelsea following 2 below par 1:0 performances against Shrewsbury and Norwich.

4 losses in our last 6 games before lockdown - which prevented what could have been another potential run like we have had this year.

After a long pause - the restart sees a different game for all and we are middling at best. Yes the title is all but won but we fail to beat Everton and need Chelsea to do us a favour to win the title.

Summertime sees the belated arrival of Jota and Thiago BUT only after the loss of Brewster - Lallana - Hoever and crucially Lovren... that latter without any replacement!

2 genuine first team additions in summer 2019 could have spared us the worst of the affects witnessed this season and the latter part of last. The 2 losses to a very beatable Atletico for instance. Doubt we could have challenged Bayern but who knows.

What a conundrum for wed and for today - who to start and who he wants on at the 90 (or 120 min mark). The better players are the more tired ones which also adds to the puzzle. Id give the greek, ox and jones a start today and hope to win without needing to use subs for more than 30mins. Could qlso see ox and jones getting mins on wed with the xtra subs in cl. Anyway lets hope for 3pts, a few much needed goals at home, no injuries and then watch madrid tire themselves out against barca

Long term it's better if we qualify for the champions league next season but if we don't we should be able to give the league a good crack. You can save the best XI for the league and FA cup and play the reserves in the Europa league and league cup. Silver linings I guess...

Also the comparing us with Barca is harsh, they've spent over £1 billion on 32 transfers since 2013 and had Messi along the way as well. Like Man Utd they've no one to blame but themselves.

I'm just hoping we spend big on the right players in the summer. Though I doubt it.
    Also I'm sick and tied of reading about us pulling masterstrokes about getting players on the cheap . Whoever signs the likes of Haaland is hardly going to worry about that !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Soo exactly the same as dortmund? who'd of thought it
    Mad season that. Basically relegation form for half a season, then Top-Four form for the other half of a season.

It's insane how slim the margins are at the top. Rafa in his last season with us for example was just 7 points off Top Four - only a 3-game swing, which really isn't a lot. Also one step away from a Europa League Final, which these days is now a play-off match for both a trophy AND a Champion's League spot. Never got to finish his work.

Equally as someone who enjoyed watching Dortmund I would have loved to have seen Klopp's next Dortmund cycle, just as I'd have liked to see Rafa's new cycle under FSG.

Glad it worked out the way it did as I love having Klopp as manager and we ended the 30-year wait, but I find the ruthlessness of Football mad at times - especially when Managers have a lot of credit in the proverbial bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Probably comes from the same place as our resident pyskick Clinton Baptist.
    is that your dad?