Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Weekend’s Other Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedNoodle View Post
    I think it's a combination of the two things. Upton park had a great atmosphere, whilst the Olympic Stadium does not. The fans are exactly the same ones as those who frequented the Boleyn.
    My first ever away game was at Upton Park about 1990. As we got off the bus we got pelted with coins it was bloody mad.

I don't want us to become another soulless football club. Anfield isn't perfect, but there are reasons why " magical European nights under the lights at Anfield" is a thing and talked about by those who have witnessed it either live or on tv/the radio.
    Yup. There are plenty of former managers and players that will attest to the impact that Anfield under the lights with supporters can have. I’m absolutely gutted that that won’t be the case tomorrow.

It’s a magical stadium that we’re blessed to have. I wouldn’t swap it for anything else and I miss it so badly.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    My first ever away game was at Upton Park about 1990. As we got off the bus we got pelted with coins it was bloody mad.

I had a few scary moments at Upton Park in the late 80’s I can tell you. Quite an intimidating ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Deary me - the joke about Sarah Ferguson/Alex Ferguson was aimed at justme - it was directly in response to justme - pretty obvious..no? I even stated it went clean over “his” head..

And the sacred cow is Wenger - again, I assumed this was obvious.

Also yes moving stadium definitely comes with some risk. We don’t need to move - we just need to make Anfield a 70/80k monster...

Make it happen...
    Ok fair enough on Wenger he did overstay his welcome they just didnt replace him with good enough managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    You won’t get a better night than St Etienne - and every stand has been changed since then.

People are struggling a bit on this issue. Yawn.

Please - to those who want to talk - go to the ground and sit in the Anny road or on the Kop or the centenary - even the posh seats - tell me they are fit for purpose in 2021... We are Liverpool football club - we can do better. New man in stand is great - just need 2 more...!

The club improved every stand already - when you watch the great European nights of Shankly’s era they are different stands.

Don’t be so stupid as to now want to stop. That is what FSG did in summer 2019
    Where did I say that renovations/improvements should stop? I want Anfield to be 'improved', especially when it comes to having a bigger capacity, though whilst I would want that all to be for 'normal' fans at 'affordable' prices, I suspect a lot of it is going to be catering to this corporate **** that has infiltrated the modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Yup. There are plenty of former managers and players that will attest to the impact that Anfield under the lights with supporters can have. I’m absolutely gutted that that won’t be the case tomorrow.

It’s a magical stadium that we’re blessed to have. I wouldn’t swap it for anything else and I miss it so badly.
    This place is a hoot at times..

Nobody has suggested swapping it.

Why the hell would we? But it would benefit hugely from improvements to at least 2 more stands and you as a regular should know this.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I bet that was a frightening experience. Unfortunately every club has its nutters.

Where did I say that renovations/improvements should stop? I want Anfield to be 'improved', especially when it comes to having a bigger capacity, though whilst I would want that all to be for 'normal' fans at 'affordable' prices, I suspect a lot of it is going to be catering to this corporate **** that has infiltrated the modern game.
    Quite right - wasn’t suggesting you had Noods - just making the point to those who want to make out Anfield is perfect.. it really isn’t - the crowd is fantastic - sometimes - not always - but it needs to be bigger!!

Enough corporate accommodation already - as you say we just need more seats for real fans. Old Trafford at 76,000 makes our 53,300 look puny.

Fix it

Anyone who has been on the Kop or Annie Rd know there's a problem with people standing. It's ok for the young and fit of for supporters knocking on a bit bloody hate people standing up in front of them blocking their view.
    I know it's a subject close to the clubs supporters but maybe safe standing is a possibility in the future.

Yep it’s so tight when sitting down you have to stand at times - even though there are loads of teats who just stand for most of the game..

Both stands were built in the days of standing - Anfield road was re done in 92 but a shocking job. - to be fair FSG seem committed to rebuilding it - desperately needs it.