Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Real Madrid (Quarter-final, 2nd leg)

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    No way Thiago doesn't start, we were so abysmal first leg because we didn't have a single mid who can pass the fucking ball and you're advocating more of the same, Jota was fucking shite in that game too, i'm actually tempted to go Mo Bobby Mane and hope Jurgen does
    I'm advocating a robust midfield to keep it tight, using the players who've proven themselves most consistently.

Milner on merit has contributed more than thiago, same goes for Gini and Fab.

I'd have Salah playing 90 and thereafter not too bothered about which 2 partner Salah. Bobby for his disruptive capacity probably a good shout to start as I would set the team up.

Key is to aim to disrupt their midfield unit, protect the defense and have something on the bench if we manage to achieve our early doors objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I'm advocating a robust midfield to keep it tight, using the players who've proven themselves most consistently.

Milner on merit has contributed more than thiago, same goes for Gini and Fab.

I'd have Salah playing 90 and thereafter not too bothered about which 2 partner Salah. Bobby for his disruptive capacity probably a good shout to start as I would set the team up.

Key is to aim to disrupt their midfield unit, protect the defense and have something on the bench if we manage to achieve our early doors objectives.
    Keeping it tight and not having anyone who can make sure we keep the ball and who can pass it won't work against Real

For me we need to set up as we did v Leipzig

Forwards not looking to press quite as high, but blocking the lines to stop their defence playing into their midfielders or forwards and in doing that setting traps to nick the ball in midfield rather than the final third as they try to play out, to then release our forwards already in brilliant positions between their midfield and defence because of where and how they're pressing to attack Real quickly with whatever we can and whoever we can

In that press it will be absolutely key that there is however the instruction to rapidly press Kroos or Modric if/when they drop between their 2 CBs to receive the ball, that will surely have been learned from the first game when Jota stood off Kroos to disastrous effect

It will be crucial to stop Real getting their 3 midfielders on the ball easily and playing long to their forwards easily, we failed to do either of those things in the first leg

Fab has to be a lot better too, in the Villa match thread someone posted about us having 5 or 6 back against one or 2 and still not defending situations, a big part of that is Fabs love of and want of a tackle, he runs into situations when we already have 2 or 3 defenders and mids combined to deal with them easily and in doing so gifts that player an easy ball into a player arriving in the space he's left who in turn can play in their forward

He's done it the last 2 games, ran into a situation he didn't need to instead of staying with Modric, giving the Real player who was going nowhere an easy ball to Modric with all the time in the world to tee their lad up to score their third

He did it v Villa too, ran into a situation that he didn't need to, giving their lad an easy ball to McGinn arriving in the space he just left, who then teed up their forward to score

He really needs to show a lot more intelligence, understanding of and reading of the game and stop charging into situations when we already comfortably outnumber the opposition player(s), because he gives that player an easy ball far too often by doing it, it's exactly what I meant when I spoke about him needing to learn and understand when to press or try and go to make a tackle and when to stay in his area or with his man, for all his other undoubted qualities, his decision making in that respect is absolutely fucking abysmal, it's under 18 level
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Lucas Vázquez won't be available for them.

So we could really do with Robertson, whoever plays to the left of our midfield and whoever plays to the left of our attack all being bang on it.

There should - SHOULD - be opportunities down that side.

Dutch Ref. No nonsense shenanigans.
    Good.
    Once a Red,
    you'll never walk alone

Milner is the man for the occasion 19.

He'll lead by example and set a marker or two where needed.

Alison Trent Philips Kabak Robertson Jones Fabinho Wijnaldum Salah. Diogo. Mane.

Quote Originally Posted by worldpanel View Post
    Dutch Ref. No nonsense shenanigans.
    Good.
    From what I've seen of them it doesn't seem to matter who the referee is as they always tend to buy Real Madrid's theatrics.

I’d play Bobby and let Sadio sit this one out. I think he has some form of long Covid, he’s not been right since.

Bobby’s job should be to be a nuisance to Kroos and give him no time to settle. He should be able to manage that, leave the goal scoring to Jota and Salah.
    My midfield would be Milner, Fab and Gini.
    Thiago is a mystery to me, he should have shone in the first leg when he came on but made no difference at all. We have to stop them playing we can’t allow them to score it’s going to be a tough old night.

All the lads are on Twitter saying they’re going to give it everything so I think we’ll be fine.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    All the lads are on Twitter saying they’re going to give it everything so I think we’ll be fine.
    That probably means we'll concede in the first few minutes and will go out with a whimper.

I do wish they'd keep quiet and stay well clear of social media.