Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333637383940414243

Thread: Liverpool v Real Madrid (CL Match Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    It’s definitely not the same for everyone. Arsenal and Chelsea will have found it quite refreshing

They can believe what they want but it is not football. A Utd supporting hedge funder said to me last year that football is the one industry where the producer and the consumer are the same thing. Quite a good point.

And on the subject of Utd, their fans were all saying how shite they were playing early on in the season - Solskjaer and the team would have been under pressure from the crowd earlier this season and that is one other way the crowd affects the team.
    Lets hope they don't learn a lesson from this and they all get back to being a nasty bunch!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I think I've watched two full games this season. Football is finished for me for the time being, it's pathetic.
    That's 2 more than any other season, ya big glory hunting Whopper! !
    I hope you're keeping well mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    Alright, pal. Been v busy. But I’m having trouble finding anything to say about football - I am furious that the stadiums are still empty with no end in sight to this madness. It looks like football and, with the piped crowd noise it sounds like football but it isn’t actually football.

Needing to win 2-0 against Madrid with a full stadium wouldn’t have seemed such a big ask would it? But there were no fans there.
    All the conversations about the game are starting to seem a little surreal to me. It’s like conversing on internet ping pong football or something

It’s not sour grapes either - I accept we have other problems this season - but the effects of empty stadiums is so dominant it’s hard to take the other problems seriously
    My thoughts exactly mate, though it's hard to say whether I would feel the same if we were top of the league and about to win number 20.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    That is unreal and he is a credit to the club. We need to find the next Milner EVEN if he isn’t out of contract.
    Yeah he's a "legacy" or "DNA" player. You have them around for more than just their contribution on the pitch - just set such an example of what it is to be a professional and if you can keep them affiliated with your Club via back-room stuff, coaching, whatever once they're retired, you absolutely do it.

You always want them there to pass it on. You want players like Trent, Gomez and Jones to be absorbing their principles, work ethic, drive and so on so they too pass it on in their later playing years.

Rafa was quite big on having multiple "Captain material" kind of players in a squad. It definitely helps. We have ex-players who will fondly remember the '04/'05-'08/'09 spell and their love of the Club and nostalgia for that time may very well come back to benefit us one day, be it they return to coach, or become managers that are more happy to sell to us than other sides, or whatever it may be.

Milner's definitely one I would love to see coaching or scouting. Alonso is one whose managerial career will be an intriguing watch when you look at the list of managers he has had etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Milner ran 6.85km in the first half against Real.

The guy is such a Machine. He realistically can't be expected to do that week-in, week-out or anything, but his Heart and his fitness are exemplary.
    Hes a man of steel, not sure I agree he couldn't do it as whenever deployed he rarely displays any waning due to age. Similar age to Modric and more mobile whilst obviously not at the technical level of Luka.

The other night for example he showed no signs of tiredness imo, even getting back to nick the ball off benzema in the 6 yard box with a massive interception.

Think his ball playing abilities are underrated tbh. Has a great assist record in the CL per minute, largely boosted by his 9 assists in 1 campaign playing at left back mostly.

Iirc setting a record for the amount of assists in a single CL campaign.
    Robbo wasn't offering much in an attacking sense the other night and I stick by my suggestion/demand that Jota should have come on for Robbo. Milner at left back and a 4231 with Fab & Gini the 6's.

Top man in the preseason bleep tests (running) too

Of players to wear the lfc shirt only Suarez (26) and Sterling (18) have more assists than Milner (17).
    https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/rankings/players/assists/

Two points stand out against Madrid first minute he puts in a cruncher on Benzema.

Ten mins later he gets wiped out no complaints from him at all just gets up and gets on with it you know 99% of players would be rolling around for 5 minutes.

He is a top pro and imo a dying breed not many players around like him.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    My thoughts exactly mate, though it's hard to say whether I would feel the same if we were top of the league and about to win number 20.
    I felt like this when we won it last season, although we had become deserved winners by the time lockdown was imposed. So I was concerned that our victory wasn’t taken away from us (as certain quarters wished it to be).