Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Leeds

Your team v Leeds

We all want Champion's League footie next season for a multitude of reasons.

We now have no distractions from our last remaining goal - ensure we're in the Top Four by the end of a season we'll all want to forget.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and most of Monday before we play this one out. Valuable preparation time.

.......................Alisson

Trent.......Phillips......Kabak...Robertson

.......................Fabinho

.............Milner..........Thiago

.....Salah...........Firmino.......Jota

Please win lads. We need something to shout about.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

____________ Allison________ (i thought he was more back to himself this evening)
    N_williams_Kabak ___philips__ Roberston
    ______Fabinho_Wijnadlum__Thiago (fancy passer)

TAA__________Salah________ Jota

I would actually play Trent in the right sided position on Monday evening.. But he wont be played there. because hes a full back and Salah is the inside right and thats it..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Alisson
    Trent Phillips Kabak Robertson
    Milner Fabinho Wijnaldum
    Salah Firmino Jota

Leeds - the team that basically play like we did just with a weaker squad.

When people go on about missing the long switch balls from Virgil, Trent and Hendo they are missing the crucial point. It's that physicality that got us 97 and 99 points and number 6!

It is not sustainable football as Leeds will find out. The serial winners never play that game

It's simply outworking your opposition in all areas. It's great to watch and gets the hairs rising - but it cannot last unless you recycle yearly OR have an absolutely huge squad which we will never be able to afford with FSG.

The time to transition to better, higher quality football was summer 2019.. FSG had killed it off with a profit in August and 6 months later - late February 2020 - it started to crumble. Luckily - the break in play - a bit of rest and we got over the line cause the title was all but won.

Since February 2020 the only time we've managed more than 2 consecutive league wins was the first 3 games games of this season before being crushed 7:2 by Villa.!

Against Leeds - hmm we will be playing against reshuffled Liverpool from April 2019. We need to see some serious upturn in effort OR we will be needing some luck to avoid a pasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

When people go on about missing the long switch balls from Virgil, Trent and Hendo they are missing the crucial point. It's that physicality that got us 97 and 99 points and number 6!

It is not sustainable football as Leeds will find out. The serial winners never play that game

It's simply outworking your opposition in all areas. It's great to watch and gets the hairs rising - but it cannot last unless you recycle yearly OR have an absolutely huge squad which we will never be able to afford with FSG.

The time to transition to better, higher quality football was summer 2019.. FSG had killed it off with a profit in August and 6 months later - late February 2020 - it started to crumble. Luckily - the break in play - a bit of rest and we got over the line cause the title was all but won.

Since February 2020 the only time we've managed more than 2 consecutive league wins was the first 3 games games of this season before being crushed 7:2 by Villa.!

Against Leeds - hmm we will be playing against reshuffled Liverpool from April 2019. We need to see some serious upturn in effort OR we will be needing some luck to avoid a pasting.
    Well said. The owners really need to show up this window. I have been a defender of them but some posts over the months have shown me another side. They will show this window if they are Mike Ashley type of owners. If they sell players and then recruit with a good net profit. That won't always work. So I am really interested in our final net spend at the end of the window.

No matter who we bring in. If they end up making a slight profit or small loss it shows that they are actually stingy and only profiteering of the team and that they have been lucky that they found a Manager that can get that player who is no quite there and then make them world beaters (Van Dijk, Robbo, Salah, Trent, Gini, Bobby) all fit the mold for me. Klopp took a risk on Van Dijk in hindsight it was magic but he was already in his prime age years but at a md to lower team. So his development is also largely down to Klopp and the rest of the management team.

So we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

What physicality Steveo? We were playing practically every game almost exclusively in the oppositions half of the pitch

You really seem absolutely incapable of grasping simple basic logistics and elements of physicality in football

If you play so much of every game in the oppositions half of the pitch, you're doing less running and far less longer sprints than almost every other team

Aside from Mane, we don't really have players who run with the ball, most other teams have a fair few more players who run with the ball more frequently, running with the ball consumes far more energy than making a run without it

The switches, long diagonals and attempted balls over the top didn't involve a lot of running compared to the amount of running other teams do, Robbo and Trent did do more than most of our other players, but Mane's and Mo's runs were mostly 5-15 yards because they were already advanced in the opposition half, the midfielders runs to support those passes and potentially win second balls were mostly only 5-10 yards for the same reason, and our way played at it's best in that run of P15 W15 our players weren't doing loads of the hard running and closing down other sides do a lot of because we were always defending when attacking

Defending when attacking had all our players taking great press and counter press positions while in possession to be able to join attacks when the play required their involvement or being in a great positions to stop the opposition countering (again energy saving) and quickly win the ball back.

You can keep saying it all you want Steveo, your 'musings' on this subject make no logical sense whatsoever, plus last season we had the ball a hell of a lot more a lot of the time and were conserving energy just playing keep ball before springing an attack with one of the switches, long diagonals or balls over the top, and our players got set in their positions for that while we were knocking it around the back
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Alisson

Trent Phillips Kabak Robertson

Wijnaldum Fabinho Milner

Salah Firmino Mane
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Alisson

. ......Phillips Fab Kabak..

Trent ------------- --- Robbo

.............Milner..........Thiago

--------- - Firmino

- ---SALAD-----JOTAD

Fab pushing out when we have the ball, firmino AMC trent robbo down the wings

@19 - I would say I grasp reality rather than the flawed fantasy you keep regurgitating.

The work ON & OFF the ball we were doing is clear for all to see. We out worked most teams in the big games - our own manager has mentioned this.

The constant movement - huge effort and focus - which I do not believe is sustainable long term without a huge squad or no injuries.

One of which is impossible with our owners and the other impossible in the real world.

You would have the same few players doing the same heavy lifting non stop until they drop to their knees and then ask - what’s up??!

It is a means to an end -that is what Leeds will find too unless they can find another way.

Apart from the current run - the only time we have won 3 league games on the bounce in 14 months was the first 3 games of this season. Not opinion but fact. Reality.

Go argue with that not me.

Alison Trent Philips Kabak Robertson Keita Thiago Milner Salah Firmino Mane.