Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Racism

I would say the British, or English empire was likely a reaction to viking invasions.
    Having been ransacked and pillage by the nordics, the British developed a strong ethnonationalist identity. As have every tribe of man throughout history.

This led overtime in the conquest of large swathes of territory, using many of the systems that have been prominent throughout human history.

They did indeed play a part in the slave trade and in the end played a large role in the abolition of slavery. Same way the blacks had their share of responsibility in the slave trade.
    Slavery still occurs around the world. I'm no expert on the colonies, but it would appear to me that former British colonies are better off than colonies of other peoples.

The legacy of the British and the general scientific revolution however has led to an undeniable human flourishing.

Do you think I am owed money on the basis of my ethnicity ?
    Do you think the Irish should get more than the everyone else bar the native Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    You quite often do not reply but rather pose a further question. When I have replied you pose a further question.
    It is a bit reminiscent of Dougal from Father Ted.
    I started this thread with the hope that people could freely express their perhaps very different views and perhaps learn from them.
    I do not think I have learned anything from you whereas you have learned a lot of my and others viewpoints
    Interesting, what questions have you felt I evaded answering.
    If you post them again, I'll do my best to reply.

I found this thread to be a bizarre take from you trying to argue there are no black and white people, then heralding the introduction of black history in Welsh schools iirc.
    A history of peoples who you spent a lot of time trying to say did not exist.

Otherwise most of your statements seem to revolve around an obsession with the far right and bojo, which support your sense of self and superior status.

I wonder what do you make of Sanders views, are these opinions fuelling the far right ?
    Do you consider labour leave voters to be far right ?

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I would say the British, or English empire was likely a reaction to viking invasions.
    Having been ransacked and pillage by the nordics, the British developed a strong ethnonationalist identity. As have every tribe of man throughout history.

This led overtime in the conquest of large swathes of territory, using many of the systems that have been prominent throughout human history.

They did indeed play a part in the slave trade and in the end played a large role in the abolition of slavery. Same way the blacks had their share of responsibility in the slave trade.
    Slavery still occurs around the world. I'm no expert on the colonies, but it would appear to me that former British colonies are better off than colonies of other peoples.

The legacy of the British and the general scientific revolution however has led to an undeniable human flourishing.

Do you think I am owed money on the basis of my ethnicity ?
    Do you think the Irish should get more than the everyone else bar the native Americans?
    The Normans came after the Vikings.
    The Normans did not approve of slavery but rather a master/servant policy.
    The French aristocracy persisted for centuries after
    The finer parts of their language still persist today if you want to add a little polish e.g. touché.
    Because England played a major part in the abolition of slavery does not excuse them from their involvement
    It is not so easy to rewrite history these days.
    Too many scholars since probably Norman times
    War was a way or fact of life for many countries until the last 30 years. Still so unfortunately for quite a few.
    Sometimes aided by British science
    You may say the American civil war ended slavery but it still persisted for a further 100 years if not still to this day.
    There are still slaves in England.
    I would like the former British colony called the USA to be returned to its native inhabitants but unfortunaty they pretty much wiped them all out and their way of life too, which incidentally was a way of living without destroying the planet.
    Similarly Australia and NZ.
    Now we are attempting to reopen trade deals with such countries whilst simultaneously appearing to commit to reduce greenhouse gases etc.

Other former British Colonies?
    Singapore? Flourished because they did not let England back after WWII. We failed to protect them.

Ireland history you should know far better than me.
    The 'united' in the UK was brought about by brute force IMHO and remains quite fragile.
    Are you owed money?
    Perhaps but you need to present a case like all others - good luck with that.
    30 years seems to be enough time for this present government to forget whatever happened.

The Normans came after the Vikings.
    The Normans did not approve of slavery but rather a master/servant policy.
    The French aristocracy persisted for centuries after
    The finer parts of their language still persist today if you want to add a little polish e.g. touché.
    Because England played a major part in the abolition of slavery does not excuse them from their involvement
    It is not so easy to rewrite history these days.
    Too many scholars since probably Norman times
    War was a way or fact of life for many countries until the last 30 years. Still so unfortunately for quite a few.
    Sometimes aided by British science
    You may say the American civil war ended slavery but it still persisted for a further 100 years if not still to this day.
    There are still slaves in England.
    I would like the former British colony called the USA to be returned to its native inhabitants but unfortunaty they pretty much wiped them all out and their way of life too, which incidentally was a way of living without destroying the planet.
    Similarly Australia and NZ.
    Now we are attempting to reopen trade deals with such countries whilst simultaneously appearing to commit to reduce greenhouse gases etc.

Other former British Colonies?
    Singapore? Flourished because they did not let England back after WWII. We failed to protect them.

Ireland history you should know far better than me.
    The 'united' in the UK was brought about by brute force IMHO and remains quite fragile.
    Are you owed money?
    Perhaps but you need to present a case like all others - good luck with that.
    30 years seems to be enough time for this present government to forget whatever happened.
    The Native Americans were mostly wiped out by new diseases and not having immunity.
    Disease and the division they sow within a society are 2 evolutionary reasons for why foreigners are distrusted. Its evolutionarily adaptive to have strong positive and negative ethnonationalist traits.
    Same way under more natural circumstances people settle into areas within their own tribes/races etc.

Thomas sowell has an interesting hypothesis, a nature of paradox, whereby the all men are created equal line fuelled the racism and fuelled the abolition of slavery.
    Whereas in other places without that line, there was no idea present that stated they were equal, and no idea they should be freed.

If nearly every culture had slaves and ending slavery in the modern world is synonymous with one tribe, surely they deserve every bit of credit for ending slavery.

I've posted quite a bit elsewhere about global warming. Not overly concerned about it tbh for numerous reasons, the actual projections, where/when the impacts occur, means of carbon capture like allen savoury ted talk or other systems, at present we are set for about 0.5 degrees Celsius of warming by 2100 and I suspect we'll reduce that significantly.

The benefits of advancement in terms of reduced infant mortality, disease, literacy, education, technology are far greater.

I come from a multicultural city ie Bradford. if you read through the old messages on here I know full well black people suffer racism ie footballers and so on.. And its sickening. All im arguing for is that its not wide spread among English people to. I just dont think the UK is ultra racist..
    My original start of this current debate is people making jokes and the being cancelled for it. Its gotten to the point everything is classed as racism. even though there is zero intent . The"comedian" who told the joke recently..Knew by saying the joke he would be fired/cancelled and degraded.And it turned out that way..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I come from a multicultural city ie Bradford. if you read through the old messages on here I know full well black people suffer racism ie footballers and so on.. And its sickening. All im arguing for is that its not wide spread among English people to. I just dont think the UK is ultra racist..
    My original start of this current debate is people making jokes and the being cancelled for it. Its gotten to the point everything is classed as racism. even though there is zero intent . The"comedian" who told the joke recently..Knew by saying the joke he would be fired/cancelled and degraded.And it turned out that way..
    I have never liked stand up comedians. Their fall back seemed to be always lots of swearing and racial stereotypes backed up with bullying of those who did not find them funny.
    What I found about them more disturbing was that it was not 'stand up' and truly improvised comedy but rather well rehearsed and sometimes in front of a mirror, at home and alone. Saddoes!
    If that is your biscuit then you are welcome to it of course.

I have never liked stand up comedians. Their fall back seemed to be always lots of swearing and racial stereotypes backed up with bullying of those who did not find them funny.
    What I found about them more disturbing was that it was not 'stand up' and truly improvised comedy but rather well rehearsed and sometimes in front of a mirror, at home and alone. Saddoes!
    If that is your biscuit then you are welcome to it of course.
    I dont watch stand up comedy either. But the comedy i do watch wouldnt be allowed anymore. basically comedy is NOT allowed.
    Comedy attacks one person or another. Like mother in laws.. I have a joke that goes like this.. I took the mother in law out last week.. Damn I love being a sniper..

What i cant stand is people that look for faults that arent there. to make themselves feel superior. when in reality they have their own dislike of some people and so on.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I dont watch stand up comedy either. But the comedy i do watch wouldnt be allowed anymore. basically comedy is NOT allowed.
    Comedy attacks one person or another. Like mother in laws.. I have a joke that goes like this.. I took the mother in law out last week.. Damn I love being a sniper..

What i cant stand is people that look for faults that arent there. to make themselves feel superior. when in reality they have their own dislike of some people and so on.

What do you call 50 white men chasing a black man ? The US PGA.
    Funny or racist ?

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The Native Americans were mostly wiped out by new diseases and not having immunity.
    Disease and the division they sow within a society are 2 evolutionary reasons for why foreigners are distrusted. Its evolutionarily adaptive to have strong positive and negative ethnonationalist traits.
    Same way under more natural circumstances people settle into areas within their own tribes/races etc.

Thomas sowell has an interesting hypothesis, a nature of paradox, whereby the all men are created equal line fuelled the racism and fuelled the abolition of slavery.
    Whereas in other places without that line, there was no idea present that stated they were equal, and no idea they should be freed.

If nearly every culture had slaves and ending slavery in the modern world is synonymous with one tribe, surely they deserve every bit of credit for ending slavery.

I've posted quite a bit elsewhere about global warming. Not overly concerned about it tbh for numerous reasons, the actual projections, where/when the impacts occur, means of carbon capture like allen savoury ted talk or other systems, at present we are set for about 0.5 degrees Celsius of warming by 2100 and I suspect we'll reduce that significantly.

The benefits of advancement in terms of reduced infant mortality, disease, literacy, education, technology are far greater.
    You have some curious history books CCTV.
    You perhaps deny this genocide ?
    Your version of events is a story often given for the demise of South American tribes.
    Have you ever heard of 'Bury my heart at wounded knee'?
    Have you ever heard of Buffalo Bill?
    Have you ever seen that iconic picture of
    him atop 100s of dead buffalo?
    What was that all about?
    Perhaps after massacring whole swathes of red Indians the US government was offering huge bounties to anyone who slaughtered those beasts per heàd to avoid any resurgence of that red Indian species as they had realised that the buffalo was their 'Raison d'etre'(sorry but do not have the correct e accent on my keyboard).

Are you aware of the 'dormant' English sub- culture that persists in english culture?
    There will always be a dormant sub culture in every walk of life. At least it's better dormant than active . Sadly we'll never get rid of extremists but who are in the minority.