Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Thread: European Superleague teams to be announced today

For all thats good about the German model its rendered useless by the fact their league has been dominated for 30 years by one team who are pretty much untouchable.
    It's good that fans own the clubs but aside from Bayern it doesn't do them any good in terms of prospective success and keeping a team together.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Dynasty View Post
    I'm hoping it doesn't go through, but even without it doing so, the scare of almost happening will (hopefully) be enough to put the fear of God into these corrupt and shoddily run organizations (the PL, UEFA, FIFA et al) to clean up their acts and get their houses in order.

As I mentioned in the Champion's League thread, this year's semi-finals are going to be contested by 3 Oil Baron owned clubs with the other effectively being the plaything of a monarchy - and one of the Oil Baron clubs only just fresh out of having successfully appealed against their justified ban from a couple of years ago for trying to skirt the rules, and that being a ban that would have seen them miss this year's competition as well if they had served their punishment in full like they were supposed.

If anyone doesn't see there's a problem with that or with what the impact on the game in general is, then I really don't know what to say.
    Absolutely. UEFA have been getting away with it for far too long.
    You're bang on about those 4 clubs,the irony will be lost on UEFA though.
    They have been shithouses for decades, right back to when they washed their hands of any responsibility over Heysel.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    For all thats good about the German model its rendered useless by the fact their league has been dominated for 30 years by one team who are pretty much untouchable.
    It's good that fans own the clubs but aside from Bayern it doesn't do them any good in terms of prospective success and keeping a team together.
    Exactly.
    Bayern dominate the league because they have the biggest fanbase (being located in the biggest city and having the deepest history), which means they have more resources than other clubs.

That model, as nice as it sounds, wouldn't exactly change much in the Premier league which would still end up being dominated by the big 6 plus 2 (possibly Leicester and the Bitters), who have large fanbases.

I see the only benefit is in being able to stop owners from pulling crap like this without fan's consent.
    But it would also mean having to have elections for the positions of running the club like they are at Barcelona at the moment, and who the hell needs that mess on top of everything else (and as you can see, it's worked a treat for Barcelona having "politicians" in sheep's clothing running their club over the past several years, with the Messi mess they ended up with).
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Another worrying thought is that something like this could see Klopp walk away from LFC.

one thing's for sure.....Old Rat Boy's got the proper hump....lol

I'm hoping it doesn't go through.
    But regardless, even without it doing so, the scare of almost happening will (hopefully) be enough to put the fear of God into these corrupt and shoddily run organizations (the FA, the PL, UEFA, FIFA et al) to clean up their acts and get their houses in order.

As I mentioned in the Champion's League thread, this year's semi-finals are going to be contested by 3 Oil Baron owned clubs with the other effectively being the plaything of a monarchy - and one of the Oil Baron clubs only just fresh out of having successfully appealed against their justified ban from a couple of years ago for trying to skirt the rules, and that being a ban that would have seen them miss this year's competition as well if they had served their punishment in full like they were supposed.

If anyone doesn't see there's a problem with that or with what the impact on the game in general is, then I really don't know what to say.
    Agree, I've read before that this movement gained a lot of traction around the time Qatar got the world cup, Platini was implicated, blatter too, PSG and city were skirting the ffp rules.

Still I'm glad the French and Germans have decided to stand strong for the little clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Another worrying thought is that something like this could see Klopp walk away from LFC.
    To where, though?

All the other potential suitors would be part of this superleague.
    And while going back to Germany might be the most likely bet given that German clubs (thus far) are not part of this, Bayern, who are almost certainly losing Flick to the national team, seem more hot on Nagelsmann and will do everything under the sun to get him.
    Maybe a return home to Borussia?

France as well seems like a no-no since PSG seem set with Poch. (especially if he can take them all the way and finally win them the Champion's League this time).

He's too young to retire from the game permanently.
    I always felt the next stop for him after managing us was either the national team or trying his hand at taking charge at Bayern.
    I don't see him ever managing in Spain or Italy which would have seemed like a logical next step for the "looking for a new challenge" type.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

SSN saying there is a further Statement that 15 Funding Clubs to definiteley go ahead with this as soon as is possible

Founding Clubs to recieve 3.5 Billion for their Commitment
    Last edited by shminkyred; 18th April 2021 at 11:28 PM.

To where, though?

All the other potential suitors would be part of this superleague.
    And while going back to Germany might be the most likely bet given that German clubs (thus far) are not part of this, Bayern, who are almost certainly losing Flick to the national team, seem more hot on Nagelsmann and will do everything under the sun to get him.
    Maybe a return home to Borussia?

France as well seems like a no-no since PSG seem set with Poch. (especially if he can take them all the way and finally win them the Champion's League this time).

He's too young to retire from the game permanently.
    I always felt the next stop for him after managing us was either the national team or trying his hand at taking charge at Bayern.
    I don't see him ever managing in Spain or Italy which would have seemed like a logical next step for the "looking for a new challenge" type.
    Might make him walk away from football completely. This kind if thing seems to go against pretty much everything he stands for and the opposite of his values.

This appears to be confirmed tonight. Arsenal have tweeted patting themselves on the back after the statement