Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161959 ... LastLast

Thread: European Superleague teams to be announced today

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Did you get any nice presents for your 50th?
    He got a soapbox so he can share his love of all Premier League Refs
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

How are arsenal still in the big 6 that's what I want to know

but l ike Eggy said, at least something interesting has happened, let the drama commence
    Last edited by Kev0909; 19th April 2021 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    How are arsenal still in the big 6 that's what I want to know

but l ike Eggy said, at least something interesting has happened, let the drama commence
    Arsenal have global appeal. Especially in West Africa they have a lot of support there. Same as Chelsea. This is due to the African players that have been hits at these clubs in the last 20 yrs.

Spurs is the odd one but they same as Atleti have positioned themselves well. They are not superpowers in terms of global support but have acted quickly to be part of the big boys.

Arsenal and Tottenham are in there for all the european/ champions league trophies
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

It cant happen can it really when you think about it properly.

I mean for example will Brazil or African countries ban their players from international duty ?

If we were to play in the premier league if we were well off the pace by November then we just become Burnley get 40 points to stay up job done as you not need to fight for top 4.

If I was a Leicester fan id be fuming they are at the minute around the CL places and did win the title only 5 years ago.

The more you read about it the more dumb it sounds

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    People are letting the media and smaller teams to fool them.

The big clubs in European Football are saying they bring most if not all of the money to the game. Yet they must share it equally with asociations and federations. If you were a business person you would not agree to this. Only reason people around the world know Burnley and the rest is because of the former top 4. Yet Burnley can vote with 13 other teams and control Liverpool or Manchester United, that is bullshit.

Same with UEFA and FA their execs and business are milking money because if 14 or so big clubs.

People can say football would be nothing with the rest, perhaps, perhaps not. Clubs are not saying that they leaving they sayibg they leaving UEFA. Others who are taking side against these clubs will eventually lose. This could see the end of football asociations. Players can sue FIFA to pay for their nations or someone will create alternative world championships that will feature these banned players and it will be more attractive.

The start of the Premier League was motivated by greed. But it took English football and world football to another level fibancially.

This will too.
    And therein lies the problem.

The Old First Division and many other top flight leagues around the world we're competitive (certainly a lot more competitive than now!).

The money in the Premier League and the Champions league has totally skewed that competion, creating a glass ceilling.

This Super League will do away with competition all together. they're painting over the glass ceilling so the other 1 milliion clubs in world football can't even look in!

When the game (and let's not foget it is a game) becomes a persuit of acquiring more money than being a competion then what's the point for the rest of us?

It's near enough like that now...

It's absolutely sickening.

It's one thing these foreign owners coming in and spending ridiculous amounts to get to the top. This I can just about accept, there's always been rich and poor clubs. If the owners have the money to do so then crack on.

But when they're coming in and changing what's been in this country (and many others) for 150 years or more just so they can be richer than they already are then a line has to be made.

I would like to think that the managers/players would be calling the clubs and owners out on this sort of thing.

Do we think Klopp would still be manager if this comes into effect?
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    It cant happen can it really when you think about it properly.

I mean for example will Brazil or African countries ban their players from international duty ?

If we were to play in the premier league if we were well off the pace by November then we just become Burnley get 40 points to stay up job done as you not need to fight for top 4.

If I was a Leicester fan id be fuming they are at the minute around the CL places and did win the title only 5 years ago.

The more you read about it the more dumb it sounds
    As much as I want our club to succeed - I would genuinely not have an issue if FIFA/UEFA/FA/PREM all decided to ban us and the rest from playing in their competitions.

It absolutely kills any sort of competition. And what's sport without competition?
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Having slept on it, a combination of wishful thinking and pure cynicism tells me this is pure posturing from Europe’s elite to get a better deal out of the Champions League and will not happen.

Apart from anything else, the huge money pot comes from drawing in massive viewing figures. I really can’t see this competition getting anywhere near the huge viewing figures they expect and require to finance the venture on an ongoing basis.
    Not going to happen for me and even if it does it will not last.

@ Crimson

It seems you know little about Roman Abramovich - or his story beyond the politicised bollox of the western media lens.

It isn’t that hard to find out about his story. We are all aware that he didn’t make it out of post Soviet Russia with such wealth by being the sweetest of guys. But his story is quite incredible still.

He isn’t this devil incarnate that so many would paint at all.

Also - is he a friend of Putin or Not friends with Putin? We can’t have it both ways. I say he is a pawn.

The fact is he represents a very dangerous situation for the British government due to his links with the shadiest of shady Boris Berezovsky..

You laugh off my point about corruption in Post Soviet Russia being at least part due to the US - but that is 100% the reality. Even basic reading on the subject would lead you to this conclusion.

I just asked how Henry’s wealth accumulation was more noble as you seemed to know.

I was never comparing Roman to Henry myself - and even stated that on an individual basis Henry would likely be more benign. My point is about who is better for the club. I think it is obvious.

You cannot claim that FSG have come close to catapulting Liverpool FC up the global rungs of football might in anything like the way that Roman has done for Chelsea because there is no comparison.

You also state ask why the dirty petrodollar owners bought City and not Villa or Newcastle.

Mansour wanted us. He wanted Liverpool FC. Hicks and Gillett wouldn’t sell.

Abu Dhabi owners - yes I loathe their ability to buy what they like ( a jealousy in truth ) and deplore the way their nation is run ( why do idiots go there on holiday? ) BUT again this is all viewed through the eyes of colonials. Sitting in our wealthy so called stable nations which profited from wars and or control over these regions massively.

As Americans and Brits we are judging the corruption revealed in our media about post Soviet Russia and the Arab world while being completely shielded from our own much more sophisticated kind - also by billionaire media owners totally in cahoots with their respective governments.

So while you seem to be hell bent on comparing the virtues of men who are all billionaires - all from hard work at Tesco’s - let’s assume I am simply looking at their impact on the sport. I don’t like any of it BTW but am judging both and I see one evil as bigger than the other. FFP should have been implemented but as we know money talks.

You mention the fact that Chelsea and City have gone along with this ESL - how could they not.? The whole premise means if you can access the club - you have to access the club or lose ground.

In the end I think there is a misunderstanding here on an epic scale. Chemo therapy is a terrible poison but the only “scientifically” known way to kill cancer - the problem is - it kills everything else too.

The massive wealthy football donor has been around since the very beginning - what we are seeing now is business and business kills football.! Only in the US is business seem as totally benign. It just isn’t - it’s nature is to profit.

Below is a nice piece on Roman - while clearly avoiding any controversy it shows how we see most western equivalents portrayed in the western media. Never forget that.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com...first-fortune/
    Last edited by Steveo; 19th April 2021 at 09:17 AM.

It's going to be interesting to watch it develop, but after a sleepless night filled with anger and disgust, now I'm thinking a little bit clearer, I just can't see it happening. It's a plan to shake up the CL and get more power. Once UEFA get their slice, it'll be reinvented in another form, but at present it just not viable. No fans will watch this dull breakaway league, and it's questionable whether players and managers will want it too - especially if they are banned from World Cups etc.

What will happen if the clubs get more money anyway? Mbappe and Haaland will earn 2m per week, rather than 500k. The agents will double their prices etc. The rich just get richer and there is no benefit for anyone else.