Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: European Superleague teams to be announced today

I've read it would be a 20 team league beforehand, does anyone have a good link on the matter ?

Tbh no sympathies for UEFA or Fifa and wouldn't be adverse to the concept of a super league.

UEFA announcing tomorrow that there'll be an extra few team in the CL and 10 group stage games as opposed to the current six with another double header ko fixture round before the last 16 stage. Another 6 games each season to be packed in to the schedule.

Read on a ssn piece that fifa & UEFA will ban any clubs players from international football competitions like the euros and WC if they compete in a new super league.

Be interesting to see if that would occur, I have my suspicions it wouldn't as it would be a tentative case.
    Perhaps this release prior to the UEFA/CL announcement is just a part of the bigger clubs negotiation strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    It doesn't sound like it's replacing the Premier. It's to replace the CL. I think it's the likes of LFC and Utd basically trying to force the Premier leagues hand into giving them a bigger ( and what they see as fairer) share of the money. They generate the majority of the cash so think they're entitled to more.
    The Premier league will be shitting bricks about this.
    FSG need to be careful. This isn't what LFC fans want.
    That is my understanding of it as well.

I dont think it will take off personally but I knew when project restart was being argued this ESL would be brought up.

Big six are greedy everyone says yes they are but let us not forget this time last year smaller premier league teams wanted to void the season so they didnt go down.

Many pundits and fans were also happy for void as it would stop us winning the league Klopp spoke openly about this and you can bet our owners wouldnt be pleased either.

I think its abit of bluff myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    That is my understanding of it as well.

I dont think it will take off personally but I knew when project restart was being argued this ESL would be brought up.

Big six are greedy everyone says yes they are but let us not forget this time last year smaller premier league teams wanted to void the season so they didnt go down.

Many pundits and fans were also happy for void as it would stop us winning the league Klopp spoke openly about this and you can bet our owners wouldnt be pleased either.

I think its abit of bluff myself.
    Premier leagu have already said clubs competing in any breakaway competition will be banned from domestic compete trained away and uefa have already said the same about international club competition and international competition. Thing is who even bother watching the euros or WC without any of the best players.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Premier leagu have already said clubs competing in any breakaway competition will be banned from domestic compete trained away and uefa have already said the same about international club competition and international competition. Thing is who even bother watching the euros or WC without any of the best players.
    Well exactly if Messi or Ronaldo were banned from a world cup how do you sell that ??

Its typical of the world in all aspects of life greed takes over.

That's seems like a bigger bluff. The premier league would be stupid to risk losing its bigger teams to protect UEFAs CL.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    That's seems like a bigger bluff. The premier league would be stupid to risk losing its bigger teams to protect UEFAs CL.
    This!

Both of these.
    It's a bigger bluff by UEFA, the Premier League and even FIFA to ban the teams from their competitions and players from the World Cups respectively.

UEFA and the Premier League now their respective leagues/competition would be finished without the big teams in terms of attracting big advertising and broadcasting money.
    And as also rightly pointed out, who's going to want to watch a World Cup that's missing the likes of the Ronaldo's, the Messi's, the Trashfords, the Benzemas et al?

I would imagine there are serious backchannel negotiations going on now to try to stop it, because if it's really serious and they go ahead and launch it, and UEFA, FIFA and the PL and the likes are forced to go ahead with their threatened bans, then it's going to hurt them more than these clubs.
    (there's effectively going to be a bidding war for broadcasting rights and Exclusivity to those games, particularly by streaming giants like the Netflix's and Amazon's who haven't been shy to throw around Billions of pounds in recent years for "content". So however it shakes out, they'll make out like gangbusters, the clubs. Especially with no PL or UEFA middle-man)

It would also effectively make the Champions' League (in the aftermath) a three team competition with Bayern and PSG (as no French or German clubs are joining this) and City as the only "big" clubs in the competition.

Again, who wants to watch a competition that's pretty much a foregone conclusion (more than it is now) between three clubs?

But at the end of the day, I still don't see it going through.
    Lots of backchannel furious negotiations, probably money changing hands, a crap-ton of concessions for broadcasting rights money by the aforementioned UEFA and PL, and possibly even concessions by FIFA on the international calendar (THIS I would welcome) to peel away a couple of the club and stop the efforts in their tracks with the hard bluff having worked for them.

Can't say I have any sympathy for any of them (PL, UEFA, FIFA, the rest of the league) given how many times they've screwed us over in the last several years.
    Last edited by Crimson Dynasty; 18th April 2021 at 07:28 PM.
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

City listed as being involved. Taken from the BBC.

“Uefa and the Premier League have strongly condemned 12 major European clubs, including the 'big six' from England, signing up to a breakaway European Super League.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are part of the group.

La Liga's Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid and Serie A's AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus are involved.

Uefa said it will use "all measures" possible to stop the "cynical project".

Senior figures at European football's governing body are furious about the proposals.

None of the clubs involved have commented yet but it is thought a statement is likely to be released later on Sunday.

BBC Sport was told last week of plans for some sort of confirmation about a European Super League.

Uefa had hoped to head off plans with a new-look 36-team Champions League set to be confirmed on Monday.

The European governing body released a joint statement together with the English Football Association, Premier League, Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) as well as Serie A, on Sunday.

They said they will "remain united" in trying to stop the breakaway, using both judicial and sporting measures if required.

They also reiterated Fifa's stance that players taking part in the Super League would be banned from all other competitions at domestic, European or world level and could be prevented from representing their national teams.

In a separate statement, the Premier League said it condemned the proposal as it "attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart" of domestic and European football.

The UK government also criticised the plans, with Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden saying in a statement "we are concerned this plan could create a closed shop at the very top of our national game".

He added: "We have a football pyramid where funds from the globally successful Premier League flow down the leagues and into local communities.

"I would be bitterly disappointed to see any action that destroys that."

Juventus owner Andrea Agnelli, Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and AC Milan chief executive Ivan Gazidis would all have had a significant input into the Champions League discussions on Friday.

However, those clubs are among those to have broken ranks, to the fury of Uefa, whose president Aleksander Ceferin wanted to stave off a Super League threat.

The Premier League said a European Super League would "destroy" the dream of fans that "their team may climb to the top and play against the best".

It added such a league would "undermine the appeal of the whole game" and that they would work with the FA, the English Football League, Professional Footballers' Association, League Managers Association and fans to "defend the integrity and future prospects of English football".

The FA said it will "not provide permission to any competition that would be damaging to English football" and will "take any legal and/or regulatory action necessary" to stop it.

Bundesliga sides are opposed to the plans because the German model means commercial investors cannot have more than a 49% stake in clubs, so fans hold a majority of their own voting rights.

It is understood French Ligue 1 side Paris St-Germain are not part of the group.

Uefa said it thanked "those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up" to the breakaway league.

"We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced," they added.

"This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough."

Quite when the European Super League would start is unclear.

However, world governing body Fifa has already said it would not recognise such a competition and any players involved in it would be denied the chance to play at a World Cup.

Serie A has called an emergency board meeting to discuss the matter.

The Football Supporters' Association said it is "totally opposed" to the plans, which it said were "motivated by nothing but cynical greed".

They added: "This competition is being created behind our backs by billionaire club owners who have zero regard for the game's traditions and continue to treat football as their personal fiefdom."

France's President Emmanuel Macron said he "welcomes the position of French clubs to refuse to participate" in a European Super League "that threatens the principle of solidarity and sporting merit."

A statement from the French presidency added: "The French state will support all the steps taken by the LFP [France's professional leagues governing body], FFF [France's football association], Uefa and Fifa to protect the integrity of federal competitions, whether national or European."

It has been agreed the new-look Champions League will involve an initial phase where every club plays 10 matches each rather than the current group phase.

In addition there would be play-offs, followed by a knockout phase.

The most controversial aspect of the proposals surround the allocation of the four additional places, with two being reserved for the clubs ranked highest in Uefa's co-efficient table who fail to qualify for the Champions League through their domestic competition, but do secure some kind of European football.

At the moment, Liverpool and Chelsea would be the clubs who benefited from that system if it was in place this season.”

UEFA have released a damning statement taking aim at clubs who are reported to be plotting a European Super League breakaway.

Liverpool are said to be among an initial 12 sides who have 'signed up' to the deal.

And the Daily Mail has even suggested a formal announcement could follow this evening.

Reports claim the "closed shop" competition would see teams offered £310m to join.

And there is talk Reds owner John Henry may be one of several 'vice-chairmen' overseeing the controversial tournament.

But for English clubs, their Premier League status could be under threat if they agree to enter.
    UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League.

If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we – UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations - will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.

We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.

Premier League statement in full:

The Premier League condemns any proposal that attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart of the domestic and European football pyramid.
    Fans of any club in England and across Europe can currently dream that their team may climb to the top and play against the best. We believe that the concept of a European Super League would destroy this dream.

The Premier League is proud to run a competitive and compelling football competition that has made it the most widely watched league in the world. Our success has enabled us to make an unrivalled financial contribution to the domestic football pyramid.

A European Super League will undermine the appeal of the whole game, and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member clubs, and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper.

We will work with fans, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA, as well as other stakeholders, at home and abroad, to defend the integrity and future prospects of English football in the best interests of the game.

Strange, I was reading an article yesterday on the BBC Sport website that mentioned a change to the Champions League format - 36 teams with each side playing 10 games before qualification and knock-out stages (if I remember correctly).
    This decision regarding the European Super League raises all sorts of questions:

How's it going to be financed?
    TV coverage?

If, as mentioned, there will be 20 teams then it's going to be in direct competition to the current national Leagues (Premier League, La Liga etc.).
    Presumably if it went ahead then the teams involved would be unable to participate in domestic knock-out competitions and also be ineligible for the Champions League, Europa League.

Diabolical. Don't agree with it at all.
    To be honest I'm not keen on the Champions League format being changed either.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief