Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858 ... LastLast

Thread: European Superleague teams to be announced today

Well, it's official now, I guess...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4364173/man-unitedjuventustottenham-among-team-to-participate-in-super-league

How does this now work with the likes of Chelsea, City and Real who are still in the semis of this season's Champion's League and what if one of them wins it? (which seems likely)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Klopp in 2019: “I hope this Super League will never happen. With the way the CL is now running, football has a great product, even with the Europa League.” "For me, the Champions League is the Super League, in which you do not always end up playing against the same teams.“
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

The shits gonna got the fan with this. Thank fuck something interesting has finally happened :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool's Knee View Post
    Seems like its UEFA that is their main justification. UEFA utterly ballsing up these negotiations.

"Competition Format

20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.
    Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.

An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals.
    Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions.
    A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue."
    -----------------------

5 teams to qualify each year based on the previous year's results !!
    Shamrock Rovers fans CAN dream of winning it !!

18 games in the group stages!!

A further 5-7 games to win the title !!

These clubs look to be in a strong position, if the respective leagues kick them out they can just double the group stage games and add another ko round.
    Doubt that would happen though.

A seismic shift in the landscape !!
    Will believe it when I see it, but given the coordinated condemnation I'd guess its nailed on.

Rough calculation says that each of the first 15 clubs will get 230m each. That's the initial 3.5bn divided equally.
    Anyone know how much each Premier league club gets now?
    Just reading Nevilles rant, he's kind of missed the point and a lot of others seem to have. Each club isn't and doesn't want to leave their league.
    It seems like its just replacing the CL with the 15 richest clubs with a extra 5 places for newcomers?
    I wonder why the Premier league are so against it? If they agree to it its only going to make them more money even if they have to give the big clubs more. Nobody should have any loyalty to UEFA or FIFA. Laughable that FIFA statement says it doesn't go along with their values etc. Oh what would they be? Greed,corruption,vote fixing etc?

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Rough calculation says that each of the first 15 clubs will get 230m each. That's the initial 3.5bn divided equally.
    Anyone know how much each Premier league club gets now?
    Just reading Nevilles rant, he's kind of missed the point and a lot of others seem to have. Each club isn't and doesn't want to leave their league.
    It seems like its just replacing the CL with the 15 richest clubs with a extra 5 places for newcomers?
    I wonder why the Premier league are so against it? If they agree to it its only going to make them more money even if they have to give the big clubs more. Nobody should have any loyalty to UEFA or FIFA. Laughable that FIFA statement says it doesn't go along with their values etc. Oh what would they be? Greed,corruption,vote fixing etc?

FIFA have been blowing hot air out of their arses in all this with their hollow bluffs.

In what universe do they imagine they're going to ban a Ronaldo, Messi, Dybala, Salah, De Bruyne, Benzema....to name a few,....from the next World Cup and still think they're going to have anything resembling a successful world cup.

As for the Premier League and FA at least, likewise, good luck getting that broadcasting money when you ban your 6 biggest draws and money earners because I'm sure the likes of fans in Taiwan and Auckland and Djibouti are really clamouring to watch Norwich City versus Burnley as the highlight Saturday fixture.

(...with all due respect to Norwich and Burnley)

I realize they're getting a lot of backlash and negative press for it now - and it'll be interesting to see how they extricate themselves from the PR mess once all is said and done and they need to get butts in the seats - but it seems like these Super League folks had them all over a barrel, all along.

Again, it'll be interesting to see how they conclude this year's Champion's League competition given the fact that 3 of the 4 remaining teams are officially now part of it (and if one of them wins it).

Because this,...effectively kills the Champions' League competition, dead!

(And by extension and to some broad extent, the Europa League too.
    I imagine the Scum are winning that now, if all goes according to script per this shitty season)
    'I got told there's an English phrase, 'You don't win trophies with kids'. I didn't know that' ... - Jurgen Klopp
    Stone-Cold Savage!

Aye it definitely does major if not irreparable damage to the Europa. The money involved in it is paltry anyway.
    It renders UEFA useless if they dont agree to it too. What exactly will the be governing? Something that there will be very little interest or money in.
    Last edited by teesred; 19th April 2021 at 03:05 AM.

Well, given how the Premier League FA and refs association have treated our players and club this season and in many others and their corruption and match fixing and appalling misuse of VAR and the laws of the game, they can get to fuck anyway
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Did you get any nice presents for your 50th?

People are letting the media and smaller teams to fool them.

The big clubs in European Football are saying they bring most if not all of the money to the game. Yet they must share it equally with asociations and federations. If you were a business person you would not agree to this. Only reason people around the world know Burnley and the rest is because of the former top 4. Yet Burnley can vote with 13 other teams and control Liverpool or Manchester United, that is bullshit.

Same with UEFA and FA their execs and business are milking money because if 14 or so big clubs.

People can say football would be nothing with the rest, perhaps, perhaps not. Clubs are not saying that they leaving they sayibg they leaving UEFA. Others who are taking side against these clubs will eventually lose. This could see the end of football asociations. Players can sue FIFA to pay for their nations or someone will create alternative world championships that will feature these banned players and it will be more attractive.

The start of the Premier League was motivated by greed. But it took English football and world football to another level fibancially.

This will too.