Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1252555657585960616263646566 LastLast

Thread: European Superleague teams to be announced today

Just reading what Neville has said about "murder" on English football. Really Gary.
    Hes trying to make himself some kind of spokesman on this. He and Carragher need to put a sock in it.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Just reading what Neville has said about "murder" on English football. Really Gary.
    Hes trying to make himself some kind of spokesman on this. He and Carragher need to put a sock in it.
    Totally agree going way OTT on this.

Coming from the 2 biggest clubs in the country, they are the voice of Football.
    Well in sky heads anyway.

Not that there was any “self serving” element to these two highly paid Sky employees looking after their employers best interests or anything....

They’ve gone so far over the top defending their cash cow that they’d almost make you wish a super league was happening. Haven’t given sky a cent in 12 years. Dodgy boxes of different sorts since and tbh haven’t missed it a bit. The quality of current illegal stuff is unreal

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Aye, I think people need to have a good look at how they define greed

I categorically do not want and never will want a European Super League, but from the owners point of view, I can see why they did this to try and force the hand of the Premier League and UEFA to revising how they award the TV money

Is it really greed to try and get a fair slice of the cake for your business?

To me greed is more about people coining an absolute fortune of the back of somebody else's work or business without giving them their just rewards, Sky and BT collectively charging fans the price of a season ticket to watch their team over a season for being able to watch far fewer games live is greed and being able to make them pay for them to invest in other sports and expand their empires is greed

The sort of hysteria whipped up by Sky and BT and demonisation of these clubs looking to get their fair share of the money their clubs actually generate is greed

I'll reiterate, prior to the incredible TV money arriving, all these clubs had survived and managed themselves perfectly well when they only had match day attendances and prize money, the Premier League and UEFA football pyramid runs contrary to how pyramid schemes usually work, normally the people at the very top of the pyramid make the most money and the amount of money they make decreases the further down the pyramid you are, in this pyramid Sky, BT, the Premier League and UEFA make the most money and are at the top of the pyramid off the back of other peoples hard work

Edit: It could also be argued that clubs gambling and overstretching their finances to try and get into the Premier League or Champions League is born out of greed too
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 24th April 2021 at 07:21 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Please stop defending the ESL or any club owner who was driving it.

FSG bought us for £300 million ( half price ) - we have increased in value 5 times - ironically less than Spurs have over the same time scale.

However - despite this, record profits and the very modest net spend they were part of the driving force behind this crazy scheme.

4 years in the planning remember.

This was no attempt to force anyone’s hand - it may do just that but that was not the intention. The intention is crystal clear.

Anyone trying to defend it is missing the point entirely or perhaps has shares in the Boston Globe?

We know the Sky response is hypocritical - and that would be a first? Come on - one wrong does not negate the batshit craziness of another.

This is predominantly led by US predatory owners trying to sow up a cash cow regardless of the true cost to the sport

“A fair slice of the cake for your business” come on. They are fucking rip off merchants.

I task any of you who has a club membership (we have 2 in my household) to try and cancel. Not suggesting you do cancel but see if you can. These shysters have made it all but impossible. A fair slice of the cake. Bugger me they have already eaten the cake and the petit four - they want an endless supply of money delivered at the expense of “legacy fans”.
    Last edited by Steveo; 24th April 2021 at 08:11 AM.

I've emailed John Henry to ask him if he will lead the campaign to reign in these unscrupulous broadcasters and lobby the Premier League, UEFA and the UK Gov to better regulate them and ensure that as part of the contractual agreement of any future securing of Premier League or Champions League broadcasting rights they are obliged to offer all fans a football only package.

I don't and will never support a European Super League Steveo, I also don't and will never support the fucked up UK football pyramid and how much fans are made to pay to watch televised games and how much of the money I pay as a Liverpool fans solely to watch my team goes to other clubs, other sports and to Sky and BT to invest in growing their enterprises

Bottom line Steveo, away from the hysteria, the really big football TV money is only relatively recent, it wasn't that big until the turn of the millenium, yet all these clubs managed their finances and survived through their match day revenues, merchandising and prize money for over 100 years without it, and managed properly and professionally, there is absolutely no reason they can't do that again with lesser TV revenues coming in also that are more proportionate to what they generate.

FFP does need to be introduced in all leagues and stringent FFP that clubs like City can't get around through creative accounting, because the plain truth is that the incredible spending of the City's and Chelsea's and escalating of transfer fees, agents fees and wages through that is a far bigger threat to football and other teams being able to compete

But for Jurgen's miracle working we'd currently be in a one team league, just as we were for over a decade when United were lightyears ahead of all other Premier League clubs in developing their worldwide marketing and merchandising and stadium

I knocked Parry and Moores for years about their ineptitude and lack of foresight in failing to develop the clubs incredible global marketing and merchandising potential and Anfield and falling so far behind United and other clubs for that reason, Hicks and Gillet were equally useless in that and every other respect, so let's not forget that FSG have actually done an incredibly good job in securing the future of the club and the long overdue development of all of that, there was a genuine threat the club could fold entirely before they took it on Steveo
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I know you are not supportive of the ESL mate - just saying that regardless of UEFA, the Premier League or Sky I can see no justification for ANY of these clubs to try this with such huge revenues.

FFP does indeed need to be implemented- but I will eat my hat if it ever is. So much dirty petrodollar cash owning so much of Europe on the one side then on the other - we have the US predators waiting to franchise the sport.

What an absolute shitshow
    Last edited by Steveo; 24th April 2021 at 08:42 AM.

Nineteen x points out the media hysteria on the subject and Steveo goes into hysterical mode to stop him from in any way defending the owners.

On the issue of value, seeing as Steveo thinks the value of Spurs tells us something (he doesn't feel the need to say what exactly), let's consider why.

They've just spent nigh on a billion pounds on a new, albeit impressive, stadium. The club is in debt to the tune of £1.17 billion, the biggest debt in world football (as of 2020). There's a chart in the article that does not even register Liverpool's debt as it is too low, being below Brighton's.

So, debt is a tool. It's one way of doing things, but clearly it will distort the financing of the club, both in terms of it's value, it's ability to go into the market for players, pay their wages and potentially its ability to avoid bankruptcy under certain circumstances - see the problems Barcelona are having.

If Spurs were to be bought at their new value, much of the fee would go on clearing debt, which is a different way of milking that cow.

None of these things are a final argument for anything, but they do suggest Steveo is fond of using an argument in his favour without care for detail.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/daniel-levy-tottenham-stadium-debt-19804839

In 2020, by the way, Liverpool announced a record pre tax profit of £42 million. 42 million. It isn't actually that much. They've subsequently spent much more than that on players. But the clever net spend, used as evidence of their evilness, has kept the club from going into debt - OBVIOUSLY. 42 million is narrow margins though. I would think Nineteen x is right that the ESL was a straightforward answer to the question of how to increase profits, in part to the previous question of how to spend more on players. After all, more success creates more value.

Here's how it's reported in the article from Goal.

"The European champions continue to thrive both on and off the field, with unprecedented player investment and rising revenues
    Liverpool have announced a pre-tax profit of £42 million ($54m) in its latest annual financial accounts."

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liverpool-announce-record-turnover-and-42m-pre-tax-profit-in/lekwnydyc64v1wce83d1eac0q

If you read that article you might be fooled into thinking FSG are doing a brilliant job of managing the clubs resources.

p.s. Steveo has since erased and rewritten the post I was referring to (before reading this one as well)