Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 145457585960616263646566 LastLast

Thread: European Superleague teams to be announced today

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    As far as I’m aware, FFP was not instituted to stop the petrol dollar, it was instituted to stop bankruptcy, which it has demonstrably succeeded in doing (thus far - lockdown may yet prove to be a bigger obstacle than previously imagined possible)

Man City’s owners can still inject as much money as they like, they just can’t claim that it constitutes part of the income stream. They have to be gifts and therefore cannot be balanced against expenditure, like players wages.

The fact that they were let off their abuse of the rules is actually one more argument in favour of a breakaway league or comp.
    We all know why it was envisioned and set up and it is much needed but the reality of its policing the dopers is clear to see. Surely you would have to be very naive to think that the financial muscle of Abu Dhabi and Qatar - literally building entire community spaces and resources across Europe - the huge numbers of employed tax payers that they are directly responsible for would in the end mean that regardless of flouting of any rules - they would go unpunished.

Seemed to work to a degree with Chelsea - while Roman was a Russian at least but would be tougher now.

Untouchable.

As for a breakaway league in light of this - well perhaps it would seem logical but why not simple expose the corruption? If it isn’t exposed the same thing will happen over and over again in whatever guise... a rebranded league or a new tournament etc.

Which is called begging the question.

You may as well call this the Steveo forum and anyone who disagrees is a wanker
    Fair point.

This ESL idea won’t just go away people with deep pockets aren’t used to being told no.

They will try and find another way but it HAS to be a far better idea than they came up with.

I don’t know how easy it is but could they cut out the middle man (UEFA) ? You keep the rules exactly the same so if Wolves finish 4th they go into the ESL/CL whatever you call it but the money UEFA would get would go to the clubs ?

I bet most clubs wouldn’t disagree with that as if they had a good season like Leicester/West Ham they could earn more money that way and we all know West Ham love the money as they were a mouthpiece for void last year as they were terrified of the drop as Covid would have crippled them.

What you do, as it appears to me, is rail against the owners and arrogantly call those that disagree with you names - claiming they don’t support the club, they love the Americans or other emotional jibes.

What this leads to is confusion about what you are saying, what your claims are, and whether there is any way of testing the truth of what you’re saying without running the gauntlet of insults.

It’s either join the emotional hyperbole or we are ‘deluded’. In this approach you align yourself with the hyperbolic media and enemies of the club, ironically. I’m not saying you are the enemy of the club but unless you can see FSG as in some way friends of the club you are limited to these argumentative tactics.

Trying to tease out what is actually happening is far more interesting in my opinion.
    Steveo's just pissed off thing haven't gone as we would have liked this season due to unforseen circumstances bar not replacing Lovren
    He conveniently forgets that we didn't improve after the Champions League win because almost everyone here and Jurgen thought Origi and Shaq should be given another season after their Champions League exploits rather than selling both perennial underachievers while their stock was as high as it would ever be as i suggested
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We all know why it was envisioned and set up and it is much needed but the reality of its policing the dopers is clear to see. Surely you would have to be very naive to think that the financial muscle of Abu Dhabi and Qatar - literally building entire community spaces and resources across Europe - the huge numbers of employed tax payers that they are directly responsible for would in the end mean that regardless of flouting of any rules - they would go unpunished.
    Building infrastructure is a good thing though. Its leaving the club in a mess that was the problem.

Interestingly, Everton fans think FFP is designed to keep the big clubs big - that no one would be allowed to come in and make the smaller clubs competitive with external investment. I believe that’s incorrect but it just shows how complicated all this big money versus fairness or ‘football is for the fans’ rhetoric actually is.

That’s why I challenge your assumptions. They seem incorrect to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Steveo's just pissed off thing haven't gone as we would have liked this season due to unforseen circumstances bar not replacing Lovren
    He conveniently forgets that we didn't improve after the Champions League win because almost everyone here and Jurgen thought Origi and Shaq should be given another season after their Champions League exploits rather than selling both perennial underachievers while their stock was as high as it would ever be as i suggested
    Yes I agree. The claim of ‘underinvestment’ was knee-jerk in my opinion

As far as I’m aware, FFP was not instituted to stop the petrol dollar, it was instituted to stop bankruptcy, which it has demonstrably succeeded in doing (thus far - lockdown may yet prove to be a bigger obstacle than previously imagined possible)

Man City’s owners can still inject as much money as they like, they just can’t claim that it constitutes part of the income stream. They have to be gifts and therefore cannot be balanced against expenditure, like players wages.

The fact that they were let off their abuse of the rules is actually one more argument in favour of a breakaway league or comp.
    Going back to 2012 I remember having the same debate with N4C. I said that City could effectively plough as much money in and justify it by saying its part of their business as a whole. Like an RnD facility on a pharma plant? Quite often won't make any money dedoite costing a lot but the benefits are seen elsewhere in the business.
    He disagreed and said FFP was basically money vs money out.

On a side note, I see Lady Brady has crawled out from under her rock again.

BT and Sky need to shut the fuck up and stop acting all righteous about the failed ESL bid now, those fuckers need regulating, they need to be made to offer much lower cost team specific football only packages and stop ripping the fans of and milking them for every penny they can get, including making them pay for other sports and services as part of packages they do not want to give them billions to play with to invest in other sports

'Football is for the fans' the very height of hypocrisy coming from anyone working for either of those 2 broadcasters, they need to wind their fucking thieving necks right in
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    This ESL idea won’t just go away people with deep pockets aren’t used to being told no.

They will try and find another way but it HAS to be a far better idea than they came up with.

I don’t know how easy it is but could they cut out the middle man (UEFA) ? You keep the rules exactly the same so if Wolves finish 4th they go into the ESL/CL whatever you call it but the money UEFA would get would go to the clubs ?

I bet most clubs wouldn’t disagree with that as if they had a good season like Leicester/West Ham they could earn more money that way and we all know West Ham love the money as they were a mouthpiece for void last year as they were terrified of the drop as Covid would have crippled them.
    I agree - UEFA are part of the problem not part of the solution.