Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brighton home draw - postmatch discussion

Brighton home draw - postmatch discussion

Could only listen via redmentv YouTube today. So wondering what ye made of it today and my impression from listening to commentary.

We got a nice 2 goal cushion and the game should have been done.
    At that point Brighton dropped off with their pressing and sat in more, looking for the occasional counter.

We obliged by playing some daft fancy football around the halfway line, instead of taking the sting out of the game, and gave them some counter attacking opportunities. Then they got a goal back and pretty much dominated the rest of the game. We had a few chances though.

They outnumbered us in midfield with their 4231, I thought they'd do the same with a back 3 setup.

Klopps halftime chat didn't go too well and he made a few subs later on but didn't change the setup.
    Both Matip and Gomez stayed on the bench, when either could have been brought on to add some bite to our defense or even midfield.

Facts....
    a 2 goal lead squandered, 2 more points dropped from a winning position and it seems that while we have had good energy this season, the mentality isn't close to where it was in our title winning seasons.

Hope Nabys not out for long and I hope Jurgen finds a way to overcome the deficit of available players in midfield.
    I'd start Gomez alongside Hendo v Atleti if others aren't available.

Trent in midfield gomez on the right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Trent in midfield gomez on the right?
    what are our midfield options, bearing in mind the number of injuries?

Henderson
    Jones
    Ox
    Minamino
    ?
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Think that’s pretty much it for midweek

We are well stocked - or so said the resident experts.

And if not then we have been hit with an unprecedented injury haul like no other team suffered - ever… Honest..

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

And if not then we have been hit with an unprecedented injury haul like no other team suffered - ever… Honest..

Didn’t the same experts say the same last season with the centre backs?

“We don’t need to replace Lovren, there are at least 10 players who can play that position”.

Did people say that, well, it wasn't me, Hendo and Fab have both had medium term injuries over the past 2 seasons and Gini was our only other midfielder who could play at No6 so it was always glaringly obvious we needed another No6 who could also play the controller role at LCM or RCM
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Defo not talking about you 19, you were as vocal as any about the folly of letting Gini go without replacement

We have Gomez Matip Konate Van Dijk and Philips, apart from Van Dijk, peoples views differ on the others. But apart from a few freak results our defence is very good. I think 5 centre backs are enough for a team. Bringing others in to add to numbers, means less and less game time. They should sell one on if they are to bring someone else in. Last season was a one off with so many injuries, I'm sure it won't be as bad again. I'm not bothered who gets to partner Van Dijk as long as the results are the right ones. But he's been a part of those drawn games too so it's not all down to someone else.

Defo not talking about you 19, you were as vocal as any about the folly of letting Gini go without replacement
    Some thought we had his replacement first in Keita, then Thiago, both way off the mark for me, not consistent and never fit. Totally unlike the man we sold.