Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool v Newcastle Match Thread

Whatever happens in West Ham v Chelsea game we will be at least 1 point behind West Ham.
    Last season we finished 60 points ahead of them.
    Difficult to get one's head around that.

Wow that is a sobering thought

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Well if he’s not finished he’d want to buck up his ideas in time for next season because all the signs are pointing right now to a massive decline in this teams collective ability to dig in and bust a gut for each other. How many times today did we misplace or under hit a simple 10 yard pass in midfield. Ok it happens but previously both the giver and receiver of that pass immediately spring into action to win it back instantly almost turning the give way into a counter attack. This season everyone leaves it to the other. We aren’t working hard enough in these games and klopp is doing nothing different. Send us out with a high line and the same slow dull tactics over and over again and if it works great if it doesn’t then shrug the shoulders. It’s not good enough. Why didn’t he use the last sub when we got the free for the var disallowed goal. Should have wasted out that final minute and gathered the thoughts. Not good enough.
    Totally bang on about the midfield. We gave the ball away so much today. I'm not having fatigue being blamed for everything. Theres some players putting half a shift in and its not on. They are letting him down. Wijnaldum was horrendous today.

At Dortmund he won the title twice, DFB Cup and got to the CL final. Seemed to reach the top of the mountain but couldn't stay there. Obviously competing in a one team league much like now so its hard to hold it against him much, I love the guy but he needs to rebuild this team as its race is run.
    It's not unfair to say that he really lacks tactical nouse. The Jones sub today cost us the 3 points and it was a total sentiment substitute to give Jones some minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    The hunger is gone in a lot of them. Have their CL championship and a PL title on their resumes and now they just have no fire in the belly to do any of it again. I didn’t think they deserved the bad champions label earlier this season but now many of them look like it.
    I think you're right. Personally I expected the "dip" to be last season after the CL win but obviously I was wrong. There was always going to be a dip but this has been a nosedive of epic proportions. We've swung one way to the other in a season.
    Its maybe unfair to write some off but we cannot have another season anything like this, the worry is we look so far away from last seasons team its unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I think you're right. Personally I expected the "dip" to be last season after the CL win but obviously I was wrong. There was always going to be a dip but this has been a nosedive of epic proportions. We've swung one way to the other in a season.
    Its maybe unfair to write some off but we cannot have another season anything like this, the worry is we look so far away from last seasons team its unreal.
    Honestly, I think a few are out of form, we've missed Henderson organising the team and leading on the pitch, not one of the other players does it in his absence. I think the whole VAR saga after the owners attempted power grab earlier in the season affected results when we were still playing well, that led to a dip in confidence and form and several players losing their form.

Above all, for me, what did for us this season was that awful spell of crappy tappy overplaying, it just destroyed so many onfield relationships and understandings built up over the past 3 years and played several players out of form and as I warned when I first saw it happening, players lose confidence, you lose the automation of it all and it was never going to be as simple as putting those players back in their same positions asking them to revert to what had worked brilliantly for us the last 3 season and at the start of this season

The lack of leadership, communication and organisation when it's been desperately needed in Hendo's absence has been absolutely shocking

I'm still absolutely gobsmacked at the final 5-10 minutes of that game today, we played half decent first half, failed once again to put our chances away, lots of them, missed 2 or 3 second half without conceding any chances, weren't creating much but looked solid and were keeping the ball well enough, then that last 5-10 minutes we just completely stopped playing, lost all shape and discipline, had that spell that led to the goal of having 9 of our outfield players all in a line on the edge of our box, with only Mo upfield, inviting them to put it into our box, what the FUCK was that? Where was the leadership and game management, where were the outlets to clear it to and run it upfield or into an area to win a throw to see out those final few minutes? That last 5 minutes was an absolute fucking shambles
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Totally agree on the pints about todays game. There's not one leader on that pitch.
    The return of VvD and Hendo will make a difference for sure but we still need players to return to form and its a lot to expect when it looks like so many of them are off their levels.
    Genuinely starting to feel like some of them have just had purple patches and its come to an end.

Typical Liverpool performance (for this season). Dominated the game, dominated possession, created loads of decent chances but failed to put enough in the net. To top it off, sat back at the end of the game and conceded a late goal that has set us back in our top four quest.
    It's happening too often and it's become a serious issue. Can't wait to see how we perform against United. We seem to play better away from Anfield.
    Is it down to this season being such a screw-up in the pursuit of satisfying the Premier League's money chase?

Absolutely horrible, disastrous calamitous champions. But, we’re we’re champions so that’s softening the blow

Quote Originally Posted by TheDOC1979 View Post
    Absolutely horrible, disastrous calamitous champions. But, we’re we’re champions so that’s softening the blow
    I think too many people are very harshly writing a lot of our players off

We have to remember the following:

Jurgen understands the club and how brilliant our fans are home and away

He has built much of our success from getting all the players to never forget who they are playing for, and our players have absolutely tapped into that, they have used our fans as a huge source of energy, drive and inspiration and they have struggled in their absence, as Robbo put it "They make us feel 10 feet tall"

And the entire Covid debacle can't have been at all easy for any of our players, since Jurgen arrived and those players were brought in, they have been honed tuned and developed to give their absolute everything for the fans every single time they set foot on the pitch, they have worked tirelessly and relentlessly to put us back at the very top of the game for those fans

Then, at the very height of that and greatest achievement for the fans through that, ending our 30 year wait for the League title, remembering the incredible scenes of the homecoming and bus parade for landing No6, they have not had the opportunity to celebrate what they achieved for the fans through all that incredible hard work with the fans, there has been no fitting blowing the No6 homecoming out of the water bus parade with the trophy, there has been no songs and celebrations of our lads winning the title through every game homes and away from the stands

All that work, all that hard graft, all of it, for the fans and not having the chance to share that moment of crowning glory and the ultimate glory the fans desired with them certainly can not have been at all easy

Cut our lads a little slack, they are all brilliant selfless lads who as some people are, seem better at reaching their highest levels through doing what they do at their best for other people and those people not being there and not getting the chance to celebrate the title win with them is a huge deal

We should ask the Premier League for special dispensation to take the trophy on the bus parade we should have had to celebrate with our fans whenever the lifting of lockdown restrictions permit it in my opinion
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

No way 19x. A trophy parade a year after winning it whilst not being champions?
    We'd be the laughing stock of football.
    It's sad and harsh that they haven't been able to celebrate properly but the moment has gone.
    Last edited by teesred; 24th April 2021 at 09:15 PM.