Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finishing training

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Dear 19x
    Practice does not make perfect.
    I can try to run faster but will never be an Olympic champion or even a local champion. It is not a skill but rather innate. Similarly with being a striker.
    McManaman spent much time trying to improve his finishing after training with much help from his mate Fowler.
    Perhaps he was good in those training sessions but when it came to match situations he was still pretty useless.
    Robbie Keane (amongst others) was a decent striker when he joined us but amassed an enormous amount of 'missed sitters' in less than a full season of which any one of them would rank alongside Ronnie Rosenthal's effort v Aston Villa.
    Perhaps there becomes a huge pressure on a striker when they join Liverpool that sometimes overwhelms them, not just physically but also mentally and emotionally.
    You ought to know this.
    That is why you never played at top level despite your practice.
    You were right about how a top striker needs acceleration over a few feet.
    I posted a link to Jimmy Greaves on a different thread. I did not see a reply.
    He was a genius of a striker. If you want me to find that link again please ask and I will gladly resupply.
    To sum up golden strikers are truly golden!
    Lol ever heard the Rod Stewart song "I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger", I was the best player I had ever been in my life, by a distance, at the ripe old age of 39 not physically obviously, but technique, control with either foot, finishing with either foot.

I literally spent 2 years in which I was never without a ball, I played 5 a side twice a week, I trained for 4 hours twice a week, relentlessly practicing technique, I stretched and reflexed for over an hour every day and I'd play keep the ball up and sevens in the living room of my flat for an hour every day, yes in my flat, that's how good my control was

The thing about hypomania is, you're never ever tired, you have boundless energy, you can sleep for just 3 or 4 hours for months on end and never be tired despite all of that training and going to work and being brilliant for 8 hours non stop every day.

The other thing about hypomania is, if anyone's read the NYT article, is every small success and improvement drives and feeds it and makes you push harder and harder and harder to reach new levels and achieve new and bigger goals, you are quite literally a superhuman absolutely fucking relentless machine, and it is absolutely brilliant
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Lol ever heard the Rod Stewart song "I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger", I was the best player I had ever been in my life, by a distance, at the ripe old age of 39 not physically obviously, but technique, control with either foot, finishing with either foot.

I literally spent 2 years in which I was never without a ball, I played 5 a side twice a week, I trained for 4 hours twice a week, relentlessly practicing technique, I stretched and reflexed for over an hour every day and I'd play keep the ball up and sevens in the living room of my flat for an hour every day, yes in my flat, that's how good my control was

The thing about hypomania is, you're never ever tired, you have boundless energy, you can sleep for just 3 or 4 hours for months on end and never be tired despite all of that training and going to work and being brilliant for 8 hours non stop every day.

The other thing about hypomania is, if anyone's read the NYT article, is every small success and improvement drives and feeds it and makes you push harder and harder and harder to reach new levels and achieve new and bigger goals, you are quite literally a superhuman absolutely fucking relentless machine, and it is absolutely brilliant
    I admire your effort 19x but you never reached the golden level. Seldom do.
    Don't beat yourself up about it. I done many of the things you mentioned whilst still a teenager but my dream was to be a karate champion. I gained a great philosophical outlook on life that persists to this day, courtesy of my great teachers, but it wrecked my body.
    By the way here is another link to that greatest of strikers, Jimmy Greaves, demonstrating his innate gifts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL6xLBVsfqo
    E

There is no one playing i the Premier league who is a better finisher than Greaves, and very few in any era.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    There is no one playing i the Premier league who is a better finisher than Greaves, and very few in any era.
    Thank you Skyebo.
    You cannot teach that sort of finishing and he done that consistently throughout his career - for more than a decade. What a legend!

All the sitters our front 3 have been missing lately, he would have scored most of them.

Fowler was the best finisher ive seen in my time in football. I always felt Michael Owen and Torres always had a miss in them. Fowler was very clinical.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Firmino in the game against Leeds. around the 8th minute mark he was close to their goal and for some unknown reason he lifted the ball high and it was headed away.. he should have controlled the ball on the floor. I didnt get why he needed to do that what he did. Hes just not a natural finisher thats the problem and his ratio of goals to games show that

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Fowler was the best finisher ive seen in my time in football. I always felt Michael Owen and Torres always had a miss in them. Fowler was very clinical.
    Owen missed absolutely boat loads of chances, loads of them, often taking a chance on himself instead of passing to a much better placed player for a tap in
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Firmino in the game against Leeds. around the 8th minute mark he was close to their goal and for some unknown reason he lifted the ball high and it was headed away.. he should have controlled the ball on the floor. I didnt get why he needed to do that what he did. Hes just not a natural finisher thats the problem and his ratio of goals to games show that
    Golden strikers are few and far between.
    We don't have any right now and it might be a long wait for the next one. Many of our strikers (both last and present) have prolonged dips in form or confidence or lack something else attimes or sometimes go completely off the rails and never get back on them
    Greavesy done it consistently at top level for 12-13 years from age of 17 whether it was club football it internationals.
    19x thinks you can be taught that sort of skill.
    If you are younger than 60 you are unfortunatey unlikely to have ever witnessed a striker so profound as Jimmy.
    This is a link to his career record
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Greaves

Great record for Jimmy Greaves .. Haaland (minus) injuries will have a good career..When he first appeared and you hear all kinds of praising I often ignore that. But he scores for fun..get him a team who create chances he will get a bagful.