Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finishing training

Finishing training

For FUCKS sake, what the hell do we do in training

Bloody work on moves, the final ball and lots and lots of finishing practice, first time finishes and one touch out of feet to set the ball and whack it finishing, that's it first time or one touch and finish, this taking 2, 3 or 4 touches before trying to get a shot away when the shots on and the best chance in so many of these situations our lads have been wasting is when the ball first arrives to them is absolutely pissing me off now

Work on the percentages too for fucks sake, these are supposed to be intelligent professional footballers, surely playing at this level they must understand that a short cross or 2 or 3 yard attempted centre in so many of the situations they attempt it unsuccessfully is the WRONG frickin option? Honest to fricking God, there are so many situations they waste trying this crap when it is wide open for them to shoot low and hard across the keeper and that is THE best chance of them scoring or the ball reaching a team mate
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Great big arrows over the goals pointing down with the words.. ‘Balls in here’

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I can't remember the name of the Club in question (my gut says a Danish side in the lower tiers, but we'll assume that's wrong) but there was a fanbase that had a couple of hundred fans bring arrows to games and they would run along the concrete seating areas with them pointed at the goal when their side's players had the ball, as the team hadn't scored in something like 13 games.

Brilliant fun.

Hahaha!

Like the one your Mom has on her back?

They all need an education in better decision making as to when playing the percentages is the best option

That's been pissing me off for 3 seasons, it's really really basic stuff players should be taught when they're kids, when you have the opportunity to shoot and early and you have 2 or 3 of your players to your left or right with a raft of defenders looking to block or intercept any attempted pass or short cross to them, the best option is to absolutely drill your shot in early, low and hard across the keeper and you'll either beat him, he'll parry it out to one of our players to tap home or he'll parry it well and they'll clear, but playing the percentages in those situations is something we have always been piss poor at and what I'm describing presents by far our best odds of scoring when in those situations and we waste so many of them

I moaned about Robbo failing to do it in those situations loads of times, he did it once, once ever, the first time he has done it in the game v Villa I think, and hey presto, Mo's there to nod home the keepers parry, it's not fucking rocket science, it is really basic football intelligence we should expect from every professional player

The other element particularly against PTB teams is the full backs and Hendo putting those balls towards the penalty spot far post in early over the first defender or through the channel in behind the CBs fucking early, making sure they have enough whip to not go out of play, or if they do, they only go out for a throw deep deep in the opposition half, they're another thing that when we have done we've been very good at, but have rarely ever done, even though it's on for Robbo and Trent to do them 3 or 4 times a game each at least

It's another form of percentage, but it's another necessary one, the worst thing to do against PTB teams is play tappy crappy, in front of them and let them get settled and comfortable in a pattern of defending and improving in their organisation of defending like that as games go on because you're never trying anything different, when you're not playing early balls like that to make them turn towards their own goal and you're not playing attempted balls over the top and you're not having one of the Cbs drive the ball forward to make one of their line have to come out, you're never doing enough to unsettle or unlock PTB defences

You cant teach finishing to Firmino hes essentially a link player.. Nothing else. Thats why he so weak when he shoots or fails in front of goal. hes expected to pass the ball to person/s who score. He gets away with not scoring..cause again hes a number 9 and is expected to be a link player.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Like the one your Mom has on her back?
    Nah, I'm not having that. That's poor craic 19.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Nah, I'm not having that. That's poor crack 19.
    Well, I was hoping it would have been a little tighter if I'm honest

Steveo and 19 both made me lol

Lol