Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finishing training

I dont think our style helps the midfielders. with having no natural width someone who can go around the sides and to the
    byline. So our midfielders are always having to play behind the striker..who is often a midfielder ie Firmino. If you can turn the defenders around and have them facing side on. makes it easier for a midfielder to get in the box.
    We tried a 4/4/2 in a sense yesterday with Firmino and Jota.. Left midfield wide open for counter attacks.
    Another solution is if your having a technically gifted midfield who can run at the opposition backline and put them on the back foot..
    We neither have an out and out wide man or a tricky attacking player. we have become very bland in our attacking play.
    we should score more goals from the chances we create.but sometimes we are pressured into missing.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Every skill is teachable, work on first time finishing and one touch out of feet and finishing and on playing the percentages A LOT better, I'd rather our players all did that and took the shots on when they're on, rather than take 2, 3 or 4 touches and then the chance has gone or the possibility of scoring has been significantly reduced

Robbo's shot for Mo's goal v Villa is a good example of what I'm talking about, one touch out of his feet, whacked it hard across the keeper early knowing Mo would be arriving in that area and have a chance of putting in any parry if the keeper saves it and Mo obliged

We need to be a lot smarter in how we move in our great situations to put one on a plate too, we're not smart enough in making runs to take players away and open up space, we often end up with 2 players in the same area effectively crowded each other out and making defending the situation easier
    You're right every "skill" is teachable. Finishing is a talent that's inherent and "natural" not really a skill which is a learned ability that can be practiced and repeatable. This isn't even a controversial - its Messi and Ronaldo (natural talents) versus... well almost everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    You're right every "skill" is teachable. Finishing is a talent that's inherent and "natural" not really a skill which is a learned ability that can be practiced and repeatable. This isn't even a controversial - its Messi and Ronaldo (natural talents) versus... well almost everyone else.
    You can learn it by studying youtubes of great finishers, really studying their technique, how they create the half yard of space to finish, their movement, what they see to arrive where they do when they do to learn better anticipation of where and when to arrive and the picture they see

One touch out of feet to finish is an essential skill to develop because you must first develop this before you can even begin developing the greatest of all Messi's skills, the art of disguise, that first touch consistently putting the ball in a position in which you are able to strike it and finish it a few different ways and in the motion of striking it refine your technique so you are able to give the appearance of attempting one type of finish only to apply another with a last split second slight change
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Training your brain to see a picture using all your accumulated vision, awareness and anticipation is also vitally important, a lot of the best finishers aren't natural in my opinion, they learn how to see pictures of what will happen and where the ball will most likely arrive and where opposition players will be when they arrive to the ball and know what they want to do and where the best place to put the ball to score will be before they arrive at the ball

It's a bit like driving in a sense and timing when and where you arrive in the box and scoring a goal is like arriving at a roundabout, a top finisher will be looking at the traffic flowing around the roundabout as he approaches it, often speeding up or slowing down to arrive at it when there is a gap and they can go straight onto the roundabout without stopping

An average finisher who may waste numerous chances will arrive at the roundabout, stop, then look what's coming

He does, but he should have put a lot more work and emphasis into making sure our forwards were more clinical and made the most of the numerous opportunities to put one on a plate with good coordinated movement and decision making in those situations 2 seasons ago, because we've been missing 4 or 5 golden opportunities to score in every game since the 2018-2019 season

There used to be a saying, I don't know if it's still used, about the players trying "to walk the ball into the net" - it's something I believe we are guilty of. I call it over-elaboration. We need to stop fannying about and become "more direct" in trying to score. Can't believe for one moment we haven't the ability, just need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    There used to be a saying, I don't know if it's still used, about the players trying "to walk the ball into the net" - it's something I believe we are guilty of. I call it over-elaboration. We need to stop fannying about and become "more direct" in trying to score. Can't believe for one moment we haven't the ability, just need to use it.
    Like we used to before we tried to go tappy crappy you mean? Small sided games, 5 or 7 a side might help, focusing on being better at driving the ball into areas to move players to create space for other players and timing when and where we arrive better

There are loads of times we waste great chances through not doing that well and we aways end up with all 3 forwards in the six yard box when if one hung back just inside the area to make a late run for a ball cut back as the play develops we'd score about 30 more goals a season

Dear 19x
    Practice does not make perfect.
    I can try to run faster but will never be an Olympic champion or even a local champion. It is not a skill but rather innate. Similarly with being a striker.
    McManaman spent much time trying to improve his finishing after training with much help from his mate Fowler.
    Perhaps he was good in those training sessions but when it came to match situations he was still pretty useless.
    Robbie Keane (amongst others) was a decent striker when he joined us but amassed an enormous amount of 'missed sitters' in less than a full season of which any one of them would rank alongside Ronnie Rosenthal's effort v Aston Villa.
    Perhaps there becomes a huge pressure on a striker when they join Liverpool that sometimes overwhelms them, not just physically but also mentally and emotionally.
    You ought to know this.
    That is why you never played at top level despite your practice.
    You were right about how a top striker needs acceleration over a few feet.
    I posted a link to Jimmy Greaves on a different thread. I did not see a reply.
    He was a genius of a striker. If you want me to find that link again please ask and I will gladly resupply.
    To sum up golden strikers are truly golden!