Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast

Thread: CL Predictions - Semifinals

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    If money played such an important part, why did we get to within a point of the title 2 seasons ago, and won it with ease last season.
    Klopp built a team good enough to scrape into the top 4 - then we sold Coutinho and spent money where we hadn't for eons... we added true world class in Virgil and then crucially Alisson.

That is kinda the point. Just like when Rafa signed Torres and then Mascherano to add to his team. That level of signing makes a huge difference BUT if you only manage 2 players every decade you aren't likely to compete for long - even if you get to the top. Rivals are doing it every few seasons if not more.

Having a pop at Rodgers is easy but he never had a single signing of that calibre. Nobody is coming here because of FSG - they came for Rafa and they come for Klopp..

Manager in place - but where is the cash??

If money played such an important part, why did we get to within a point of the title 2 seasons ago, and won it with ease last season.
    because of how klopp set the team up? ran them into the ground perhaps, as we're seeing this season with injury's and very little energy/motivation.

Helped also salah firmino and mane was in form of their lives

Look at the last 4 in the champions league- Enough said, all have money and good squads

Sometimes suprises do happen, like Leicester, for us it wasn't a surprise but we had some luck, whereas city had some injury's and at the time didn't really have any cover- but they went and fixed that, and now look where they are

We bring in ben davies, and Kabak on loan

Also they've got Foden we've got jones, which just about sums it up no disrespect to jones, but different level.

We sell to buy, we'll never have a squad good enough to compete with FSG in the league and champions league, it's just not sustainable sadly. Klopps done great with what he's had to work with but I feel like he's took us as far as he can under FSG i'm afraid.

Squad's needed to be freshened up and added to it, to mantain us at the top which I said at the start of the season, but yep no fucking hope with FSG.

There's more chance of the likes of everton being on par with us if things carry on as they are, than us actually winning the league / challenging same for champions league
    Last edited by Kev0909; 29th April 2021 at 03:56 PM.

Rodgers can't complain about the amount of money he was given, its not the owners fault he chose to waste most of it.
    In fairness to Rodgers he took over a team that finished 8th....you could argue Klopp did too.

We have done great for two seasons as you say.

He also had to sell Suarez/Sterling within a year as well as losing Sturridge to injury.

Money is clearly a huge factor Sky as I have said dont look at our league take a look at France/Germany they are one team leagues and any half decent manager will win the title.

I dont know the answer to this but take your LFC hat off now imagine being say Norwich fan you have zero chance of the league your aim is to finish 17th or higher is that competitive ?

Jurgen Klopp.
    They had a dip and we had the best season we'll ever have. Doubt those 2 things will coincide again.
    How can you suggest money isn't the defining factor in their success? Its as plain as day.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    In fairness to Rodgers he took over a team that finished 8th....you could argue Klopp did too.

We have done great for two seasons as you say.

He also had to sell Suarez/Sterling within a year as well as losing Sturridge to injury.

Money is clearly a huge factor Sky as I have said dont look at our league take a look at France/Germany they are one team leagues and any half decent manager will win the title.

I dont know the answer to this but take your LFC hat off now imagine being say Norwich fan you have zero chance of the league your aim is to finish 17th or higher is that competitive ?
    Different clubs have different levels of ambition
    Norwich will be quite happy to finish 17th next season so will the other two who come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Klopp built a team good enough to scrape into the top 4 - then we sold Coutinho and spent money where we hadn't for eons... we added true world class in Virgil and then crucially Alisson.

That is kinda the point. Just like when Rafa signed Torres and then Mascherano to add to his team. That level of signing makes a huge difference BUT if you only manage 2 players every decade you aren't likely to compete for long - even if you get to the top. Rivals are doing it every few seasons if not more.

Having a pop at Rodgers is easy but he never had a single signing of that calibre. Nobody is coming here because of FSG - they came for Rafa and they come for Klopp..

Manager in place - but where is the cash??
    I'm not as you put it having a pop at Rodgers its a fact he had money to spend and blew most of it. Shopping at Southampton for a start.

We got Mané and Virgil from Southampton too.

Rodgers nearly got us a title and more goals than we have managed under Klopp - thought he did very well. That crazy fly on the wall documentary ‘Being Liverpool’ didn’t help at all.

But he had to contend with losing Carra - then Suarez and then. Gerrard.. none of whom were replaced.

Few managers have the charisma of Jurgen but we cannot forget the sale of Coutinho. That was pivotal. Without it - it is very doubtful we make a Champions league final at all much less a league title

Different clubs have different levels of ambition
    Norwich will be quite happy to finish 17th next season so will the other two who come up.
    Yes I agree.

We have a team who can just raid a countries bank for anyone they want.

Ok let us say that is fair as nobody can stop that now, why are we having to share money with the likes of Burnley ?

I mean the yapping last week of competitive competitions from the league and UEFA was laughable.

We along with Man Utd generate most of the tv money but we only see 1/20 of it is that fair ?

I mean FSG took loads of stick but they basically went down the path of screw everyone else look after number one...is that any different to what City and PSG are doing cos from where im sitting it isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We got Mané and Virgil from Southampton too.

Rodgers nearly got us a title and more goals than we have managed under Klopp - thought he did very well. That crazy fly on the wall documentary ‘Being Liverpool’ didn’t help at all.

But he had to contend with losing Carra - then Suarez and then. Gerrard.. none of whom were replaced.

Few managers have the charisma of Jurgen but we cannot forget the sale of Coutinho. That was pivotal. Without it - it is very doubtful we make a Champions league final at all much less a league title
    Yes I know we did and they have proved great signings. If we had a decent defence that season, the famous Gerrard slip wouldn't keep being mentioned. We were leaking goals throughout that season thats why we didn't win it.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Jurgen Klopp.
    They had a dip and we had the best season we'll ever have. Doubt those 2 things will coincide again.
    How can you suggest money isn't the defining factor in their success? Its as plain as day.
    Man utd have spent millions upon millions since Fergie left, and never come close to the title. Money helps but there's more to it than just bringing in new players, they have to be the right ones. They are on their 4th permanent manager in 8 years, that suggests they have wasted a lot of it.