Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: CL Predictions - Semifinals

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Most players are around that bracket though, and when you consider how that inflated the market and how high the fees they paid for Sterling, Stones, DeBruyne, Ederson, D Silva, Aguerro, Walker, Delph, Otamendi, Fernandinho etc etc etc would be in todays market they inflated it's incredible spending
    That’s the thing with them. They’re squad players are 50 to 60m pound players. I concede that point. But did they over pay and inflate the market seen as these player do genuinely look top notch. We are never going to have 2 60 m players for each position. That’s not being disputed. But we rested on our laurels after signing vvd and Allison and bought badly at least twice spending big money in Keita and ox.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    I'd be quite happy having Dias at the back with Virgil De Bruyne in midfield and Foden up top. Never gonna happen I know but nothing wrong with dreaming.
    They've got a hell of a player in Foden and he only gets paid 30,000pw.
    Although they are talking of a new contract so he won't be going anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Maybe wipe your own son, Ian's also pulled you up on the inaccuracy of your deranged ramblings

The vast majority of the money for our purchases of Virgil and Big Bear came from sales, including that of Coutinho, we have the 14th or 15th lowest net spend over the entirety of the time Jurgen has been here
    We're ahead of real Madrid in the net spend table for the past 5-6 seasons.
    Might not catch Everton but at least we're ahead of Madrid.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    They've got a hell of a player in Foden and he only gets paid 30,000pw.
    Although they are talking of a new contract so he won't be going anywhere else
    That's right, they have a gem there if they use him right.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    Dias sold for 68 million
    Alisson sold for 65 million
    Van dijk sold for 75 million
    They are the only 2 players we've laid out that kind of money for and the difference they made illustrates the point perfectly. City are spending money around 50-60m regularly. We aren't.
    Like I've said before nobody is saying Guardiola isn't a good manager but nobody can deny he's in a pretty enviable position as a manager and has been from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    They are the only 2 players we've laid out that kind of money for and the difference they made illustrates the point perfectly. City are spending money around 50-60m regularly. We aren't.
    Like I've said before nobody is saying Guardiola isn't a good manager but nobody can deny he's in a pretty enviable position as a manager and has been from the start.
    It’ll be interesting to see do they drop off when he leaves. Over in red cafe the mancs are genuinely terrified now that they’ll match their 3 Ucl titles before the decade is out. I mean. If us or them don’t pick up and start winning they’ll be on the coat tails league title wise in 15 years. They’ll be on 7 now this year.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    It’ll be interesting to see do they drop off when he leaves. Over in red cafe the mancs are genuinely terrified now that they’ll match their 3 Ucl titles before the decade is out. I mean. If us or them don’t pick up and start winning they’ll be on the coat tails league title wise in 15 years. They’ll be on 7 now this year.
    Absolutely mate. They are a genuine long term threat.
    I remember when Chelsea won their first Pl back in 05 and thinking "these won't be around long". Total flash in the pan I thought.
    The only way Utd or Liverpool challenge long term is by being bought by similar owners. Both clubs are working relentlessly to tap into every possible revenue stream just to keep pace. Utd have blown do much money and the longer they go without regaining the title their reputation gets chipped away and in the long term it will have an effect. Tgry are way behind the likes of ourselves,Arsenal and Spurs in terms of facility development. The ground and training facilities need millions spending on them.

Sounds defeatist but I genuinely think we've had our spell. 3 good years. I never thought it was long term. The future looks good in terms of sticking around but winning the big prizes is a different thing.
    Last edited by teesred; 5th May 2021 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Absolutely mate. They are a genuine long term threat.
    I remember when Chelsea won their first Pl back in 05 and thinking "these won't be around long". Total flash in the pan I thought.
    The only way Utd or Liverpool challenge long term is by being bought by similar owners. Both clubs are working relentlessly to tap into every possible revenue stream just to keep pace. Utd have blown do much money and the longer they go without regaining the title their reputation gets chipped away and in the long term it will have an effect. Tgry are way behind the likes of ourselves,Arsenal and Spurs in terms of facility development. The ground and training facilities need millions spending on them.

Sounds defeatist but I genuinely think we've had our spell. 3 good years. I never thought it was long term. The future looks good in terms of sticking around but winning the big prizes is a different thing.
    When Guardiola leaves, the trophies will be up for grabs. Its up to us to still be around and in contention when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    I don't think they'll be quite as relentless in terms of points tallies, but they'll still be very much "up there" and could very well become the Bayern Munich/Juventus of our League.

I also expect plenty of big sales from them to meet FFP (at face value) done in very dirty ways.

For example Real Madrid buy Raheem Sterling for £85m and City "recoup" that £85m, but what has actually happened is the Saudis have slipped Real Madrid £65m (which is nothing to them) through the back door and Real have only had to spend £20m of their own money.

Chelsea have gotten big fees for departing players before that I found suspicious. £50m or so for David Luiz? Come on!
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

1-0 Chelsea, all created through Kante being the best DM in the league, in the right position, incredibly positionally astute, not looking to steam into a tackle, but waiting and using his vision and awareness to wait for his opportunity to steal possession
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”