Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: CL and EL places

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Werner does a lot more than run around mate
    Like what???
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Oh yeah its your agenda with Jota. I forgot so you have to mention Werner being more than hes actually showing.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

What were we hoping for when so many wanted to sign Werner and were so disappointed he ended up at Chelsea?
    I thought it was to be a top striker.
    Ok give him another year but Tuchel seems to have frustrations with him.
    Giroud gets goals given the playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Oh yeah its your agenda with Jota. I forgot so you have to mention Werner being more than hes actually showing.
    On a point of information, I watched both players, Jota and Werner in numerous full 90 minute matches over 2 seasons and was a big admirer of both, I also watch Konate and Havertz over that time and tipped both as great potential signings before they were on any Premier League clubs radar or anyone here had mentioned them

I am a huge fan of Jota's and was probably the most pleased person here that we signed him, I have never had any issue with Jota, I did have an issue with the needless fucking about with our forwards positions when bringing Jota in, because it was needless and it affected both Mane and Robbo's form severely. For anyone with half a brain cell, that's very obviously not an issue with Jota, it's an issue with whoever decided to tinker with something needlessly that should have been left well alone.

You should try actually really watching and paying attention to games you watch, you'd develop a greater appreciation of the game and enjoy it more and you'd maybe even start to appreciate how valuable what some players do is to the team dynamic and effectiveness as a whole

What does Werner do?

Makes great runs to open up space for other players the entire game
    Takes the ball in incredibly tight advanced areas under extreme pressure and lays it off to other players
    Sees very quickly when an opposition press has left his team with no options and gets back rapidly to give them one
    Links play incredibly well and intelligently
    Sprints back frequently to nick the ball of an opposing players toe to one of his teams players, turning to move immediately into space to give that player an immediate option

'Just runs around a lot' embarrassing lad - Mind you, you show how you view the game with your comments on Bobby and others, in your limited appreciation of the game, if a player isn't scoring or assisting directly, they're 'Just running around a lot'
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 17th May 2021 at 05:41 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

On a point of information, I watched both players, Jota and Werner in numerous full 90 minute matches over 2 seasons and was a big admirer of both, I also watch Konate and Havertz over that time and tipped both as great potential signings before they were on any Premier League clubs radar or anyone here had mentioned them

I am a huge fan of Jota's and was probably the most pleased person here that we signed him, I have never had any issue with Jota, I did have an issue with the needless fucking about with our forwards positions when bringing Jota in, because it was needless and it affected both Mane and Robbo's form severely. For anyone with half a brain cell, that's very obviously not an issue with Jota, it's an issue with whoever decided to tinker with something needlessly that should have been left well alone.

You should try actually really watching and paying attention to games you watch, you'd develop a greater appreciation of the game and enjoy it more and you'd maybe even start to appreciate how valuable what some players do is to the team dynamic and effectiveness as a whole

What does Werner do?

Makes great runs to open up space for other players the entire game
    Takes the ball in incredibly tight advanced areas under extreme pressure and lays it off to other players
    Sees very quickly when an opposition press has left his team with no options and gets back rapidly to give them one
    Links play incredibly well and intelligently
    Sprints back frequently to nick the ball of an opposing players toe to one of his teams players, turning to move immediately into space to give that player an immediate option

'Just runs around a lot' embarrassing lad - Mind you, you show how you view the game with your comments on Bobby and others, in your limited appreciation of the game, if a player isn't scoring or assisting directly, they're 'Just running around a lot'
    Is that what you expected of Werner if he had joined us? Or are you just changing script to state what is now obvious. Yes he has provided that dimension to his game but I do not think that is why he was signed.
    As an aside Peter Beardsley was signed as a striker by Kenny and was for a time an equal provider and scorer but domestic tensions arose and he found himself increasingly cast aside. Bad management by Kenny. Silly really.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    It’s probably better for us if they win anyway isn’t it?
    Leicester winning is better for us (than Chelsea winning) as it opens the possibility of only needing a win and a draw now.

Under no circumstances should we give much thought to that though - beat Burnley, beat Palace.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Leicester winning is better for us (than Chelsea winning) as it opens the possibility of only needing a win and a draw now.

Under no circumstances should we give much thought to that though - beat Burnley, beat Palace.
    It would be s nervy end to the season Sid if it came to basically a shout-out on the final day. How are your nerves? Hold tight if it ends up that way!

We ain’t going to make it fellas. Don’t do it to yourselves. We needed a miracle from our keeper in the last seconds to beat relegated West Brom. We are shocking.

Accept that we are not in the CL next season and then IF by some miracle we do make it - it’s like winning a trophy...

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Is that what you expected of Werner if he had joined us? Or are you just changing script to state what is now obvious. Yes he has provided that dimension to his game but I do not think that is why he was signed.
    As an aside Peter Beardsley was signed as a striker by Kenny and was for a time an equal provider and scorer but domestic tensions arose and he found himself increasingly cast aside. Bad management by Kenny. Silly really.
    Werner is on the evidence of this season anyway, a good example of why players shouldn't choose where they go based on money alone

I watched him in several games over 2 years, so I already knew he had all those qualities, he displayed them week in week out for Leipzig, I expected if we signed him he would do all those things, which would fit into how we play perfectly, AND that he would score goals, lots of goals. Our 433 set up would have been perfect for him so lot into perfectly and continue where he left off in Germany, Chelsea's set up and how they play doesn't suit him perfectly, although he's still very productive for them.

He was signed for all the reasons I've listed, or if scouts did their job thoroughly and studied all aspects of his game and how they would compliment the rest of the team and team play as well as scoring lots of goals it would be.

I don't know how thorough scouts are, I imagine they're very thorough, but whenever I look at a player I consider how that player will interact with the rest of the team, does he have all the elements we need that will help us improve

I obviously ended up watching Konate when watching Werner, so although the considerations of all round game aren't the same as they are for a forward as they're different positions, what I look for when I'm looking at any is all the elements that would make a good CB for us, what we need them to be good at and because of one of my dispositions I have our patterns of play and mechanics engrained in my head, so when watching any player I can clearly visualise them in any given position and what they do from there in our team to think how good a fit they'd be and how quickly they might hit the game running

The reason I tipped Konate as a potential top future signing was easy

he is very good and comfortable defending one v one
    he reads the play very well and takes good positions individually and off the other defenders
    he is very good in the air in both boxes
    he is a good passer and like Virgil and Matip can hit long diagonals, long balls over the top and even quality RCB to left switches
    he is very comfortable stepping into midfield and driving the ball forward
    as part of his reading the game very well he also steps into midfield to tackle and dispossess forwards looking to receive the ball in the space between midfield and CBs
    he is powerful, athletic, agile and quick

So, even when I first saw him play over 2 years ago, I was like wow, this lad has absolutely everything we need, why is no-one talking about this lad, the only thing that was a slight issue for me is that he went to ground a little too much when for me he should have been standing the player up, forcing him into an area and then making a block tackle or nicking the ball off him rather than sliding in, but from his footage this season, he seems to have improved a lot on that and now mostly does just that

I look at players in intense detail, I don't see a player like Haaland banging loads of goals in and think hey this guy scores lots of goals lets buy him for 150m as most people seem to, I think how he would fit into how we currently play, if we were paying that kind of money out of a player to be a focal point of our attack do we have the players to support him playing at his best, how would we have to change how we play to accommodate a player who operates mostly in the box and doesn't contribute greatly to the overall team play, what other players would we have to look to bring in and move on to make it work

So despite him scoring loads of goals, the amount of changes it would require to fit him into our team, tells me no matter how many goals he scores at Dortmund, he doesn't really fit our team, we'd need to change formation to 4231, we don't have the players to play 4231, whereas I look at Malen and think hey this lad would fit in, will contribute to overall team play, will be able to play at least 2 possibly 3 positions for us, will score all kinds of goals, so I'd rather we signed Malen than Haaland, because for me he's a much better fit
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 17th May 2021 at 08:15 PM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Werner is on the evidence of this season anyway, a good example of why players shouldn't choose where they go based on money alone

I watched him in several games over 2 years, so I already knew he had all those qualities, he displayed them week in week out for Leipzig, I expected if we signed him he would do all those things, which would fit into how we play perfectly, AND that he would score goals, lots of goals. Our 433 set up would have been perfect for him so lot into perfectly and continue where he left off in Germany, Chelsea's set up and how they play doesn't suit him perfectly, although he's still very productive for them.

He was signed for all the reasons I've listed, or if scouts did their job thoroughly and studied all aspects of his game and how they would compliment the rest of the team and team play as well as scoring lots of goals it would be.

I don't know how thorough scouts are, I imagine they're very thorough, but whenever I look at a player I consider how that player will interact with the rest of the team, does he have all the elements we need that will help us improve

I obviously ended up watching Konate when watching Werner, so although the considerations of all round game aren't the same as they are for a forward as they're different positions, what I look for when I'm looking at any is all the elements that would make a good CB for us, what we need them to be good at and because of one of my dispositions I have our patterns of play and mechanics engrained in my head, so when watching any player I can clearly visualise them in any given position and what they do from there in our team to think how good a fit they'd be and how quickly they might hit the game running

The reason I tipped Konate as a potential top future signing was easy

he is very good and comfortable defending one v one
    he reads the play very well and takes good positions individually and off the other defenders
    he is very good in the air in both boxes
    he is a good passer and like Virgil and Matip can hit long diagonals, long balls over the top and even quality RCB to left switches
    he is very comfortable stepping into midfield and driving the ball forward
    as part of his reading the game very well he also steps into midfield to tackle and dispossess forwards looking to receive the ball in the space between midfield and CBs
    he is powerful, athletic, agile and quick

So, even when I first saw him play over 2 years ago, I was like wow, this lad has absolutely everything we need, why is no-one talking about this lad, the only thing that was a slight issue for me is that he went to ground a little too much when for me he should have been standing the player up, forcing him into an area and then making a block tackle or nicking the ball off him rather than sliding in, but from his footage this season, he seems to have improved a lot on that and now mostly does just that

I look at players in intense detail, I don't see a player like Haaland banging loads of goals in and think hey this guy scores lots of goals lets buy him for 150m as most people seem to, I think how he would fit into how we currently play, if we were paying that kind of money out of a player to be a focal point of our attack do we have the players to support him playing at his best, how would we have to change how we play to accommodate a player who operates mostly in the box and doesn't contribute greatly to the overall team play, what other players would we have to look to bring in and move on to make it work

So despite him scoring loads of goals, the amount of changes it would require to fit him into our team, tells me no matter how many goals he scores at Dortmund, he doesn't really fit our team, we'd need to change formation to 4231, we don't have the players to play 4231, whereas I look at Malen and think hey this lad would fit in, will contribute to overall team play, will be able to play at least 2 possibly 3 positions for us, will score all kinds of goals, so I'd rather we signed Malen than Haaland, because for me he's a much better fit
    Dear 19x,
    There is a lot of chaff there.
    And you turned the major subject from Werner to Konate
    You would make a good politician!
    Let me make more direct questions.
    Did you want us to sign Werner as a striker?
    If Werner was our signing who would he have replaced?
    How would he have contributed to our strike rate?
    And on your lengthy digression....
    How many games will Konate feature for us next season?