Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: CL and EL places

This isn’t a real season

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    So maybe the change in how we play as you see it was to combat the inevitable burnout? The breakdown in relationships on pitch forced on by injuries?
    We surely couldn't carry on at that level with the squad we had?
    Robbo and Mane are doing more running as a result of the changes and more fruitless running, where they don't get the ball or there is no-one for them to link up with
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Liverpool peaked
    2018 to march 2020.

All players at their utmost level.
    No, we didn't do nearly enough with the full backs, which was the obvious next step in continuing our evolution and progression, they've both been brilliant, but there were and remain very obvious things we could have worked with on both to make them even better and it hasn't been done

Could have worked on playing them through the channels - That hasn't been done

Could have worked on earlier delivery from positions they get into and don't put the ball in early when it's on too many times - That hasn't been done

Could have worked on them going to the byline and creating differently from there - That hasn't been done

Could have worked on the finishing and shooting of both, given the positions they frequently get in - That hasn't been done

Could have worked on them playing the percentages far better and stop wasting chances trying to pick a player out in crowded boxes where it's like trying to pick out a needle in a haystack when the best option is for them to shoot across the keeper - That hasn't been done

Could have worked on both of them playing crossfield switches from deeper to find the others run on the opposite side - That hasn't been done

To make even more annoying, Baldy Guardiola has done all the things I've been crying out for us to do with our full backs for 2 seasons with Cancelo this season (Edit) Along with a great many other things
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 7th May 2021 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    This isn’t a real season
    We would not be saying that if we were top
    Once a Red,
    you'll never walk alone

Quote Originally Posted by worldpanel View Post
    We would not be saying that if we were top
    I would. Who gives a shit about the Champions League final played in an empty stadium? Where's the glory?

Why we need to have 2 commanding CBs who are great in both boxes in all our Prem games

Among current practitioners of the flick-on from corners, both Power and Dewar pointed to Liverpool, which is no surprise given that they led the top-five leagues in set-piece goals last season.
    The expected main aerial threats do score a fair few of ours (when we have them fit and available) but we scored plenty through analysing how teams were trying to stop Virgil and Matip scoring and if they were overcommitting in trying to do so and where there might be a gap in their defending of corners for us to find another player to score

I'll say it again, I believe the absence of any genuine aerial threat in so many of our games this season and the space and gaps their presence creates for others that can be briefed to the players at half time by the analysis team for us to profit from can absolutely not be under estimated

just imagine the Super Cup being a manc derby

This isn’t a real season
    How very true.

This isn’t a real season
    100%

To further emphasise the point, let's look around Europe.

Serie A - Juventus won a 9th Serie A title on the spin last season. They are now 4th and 16 points behind new champions Inter Milan.

Ligue 1 - PSG won their 7th League title from the last 8 seasons (albeit 2019/20 was by default) last year and now are 4 points off Lille, closely followed by with Lyon and Monaco.

La Liga - Atletico are top and a mere 7 points separate the sides in the Top Four, with usual suspects Real Madrid and Barcelona on course for fairly average points totals compared to recent seasons.

Primeria Liga - Porto and Benfica have utterly dominated for two decades, but Sporting Lisbon currently sit 8 points clear at the top, which is quite a margin - and could win their first League title since 2001.

Premier League + Bundesliga - both these Leagues do have a dominant team, but even City and Bayern took a while to get going in the first half of the campaign and have had shock results, as opposed to wiping the floor with the opposition from the off. Both sides have huge disparities over teams in their respective Leagues financially and in terms of squad depth.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay