Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: CL and EL places

Really good points Sid

Good points perhaps but it’s not correct to say that it is “100%” “not a real season.”

It is 100% a real season just not a normal one. It is an exceptional one in fact.

Our own 19x is a real person right? Not normal granted - but that is probably what makes him special. Normal is usual - normal is boring but not being normal is not the same as not being real.

Saying it isn’t real is like the child who loses a game but can’t accept it - preferring to close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and say ner ner ner ner neh.

If it’s not a real season then why are we even bothering? Why are we trying for top 4? If it ain’t real then Let’s just stop now - and perhaps play the ressies. Rest the first teamers for the next league season which will be real until we aren’t close to winning it
    Last edited by Steveo; 9th May 2021 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

If it’s not a real season then why are we even bothering?
    We aren't!

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

Premier League + Bundesliga - both these Leagues do have a dominant team, but even City and Bayern took a while to get going in the first half of the campaign and have had shock results, as opposed to wiping the floor with the opposition from the off. Both sides have huge disparities over teams in their respective Leagues financially and in terms of squad depth.
    We've also had West Ham, Villa, Everton, Tottenham and Leicester looking like contenders at various points this season.

And you can say Leicester won it recently but they've basically just slid along doing nothing exceptional this season and that's enough for Champions League football. It's been a passionless affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    We aren't!
    Possibly true. Personally I would go with that from here on in. Just bum it off. Rest the first team and get back on track next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Taksin View Post
    We've also had West Ham, Villa, Everton, Tottenham and Leicester looking like contenders at various points this season.

And you can say Leicester won it recently but they've basically just slid along doing nothing exceptional this season and that's enough for Champions League football. It's been a passionless affair.
    Indeed - a few sides have shown strength this season.

In another attempt to provide some context, Southampton finished 8th with 46 points in 16/17 and Everton finished 8th with 49 points in 17/18 - Leeds are in 10th place with 50 points already plus 3 games to spare - it looks like all of the top 8 sides could finish on 60 points this season, which is a pretty high bar really.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Good points perhaps but it’s not correct to say that it is “100%” “not a real season.”

It is 100% a real season just not a normal one. It is an exceptional one in fact.

Our own 19x is a real person right? Not normal granted - but that is probably what makes him special. Normal is usual - normal is boring but not being normal is not the same as not being real.

Saying it isn’t real is like the child who loses a game but can’t accept it - preferring to close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears and say ner ner ner ner neh.

If it’s not a real season then why are we even bothering? Why are we trying for top 4? If it ain’t real then Let’s just stop now - and perhaps play the ressies. Rest the first teamers for the next league season which will be real until we aren’t close to winning it
    Yep. Theres so many bollox excuses for how shit we've been.
    We haven't been good enough. We have gone from one of the best teams we have seen in our lifetime to 2 home wins in 11. Theres lots of shit thats gone against us but that stat is shameful and indefensible. Its not good enough and the hard work starts next season, can we recover?
    I've said a few times now that I've never seen us as a long term success. We've had 3 good seasons, I think that's all we'll get.
    I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be ( don't mean that to sound arrogant either). Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Its not good enough and the hard work starts next season, can we recover?
    Well, we all have our own ideas Tees, all put forward players we like and think would help, I 'm probably as bad as anyone else for it, he's not a player I've followed and thought we should be in for prior to any interest or anyone really hyping them or talking about them like Havertz and Konate, but if we land the lad from Udinese for our midfield I think we're instantly back in business, never really encountered a player that has absolutely knocked my socks off that I have thought would be absolutely perfect and take us to an entirely new level, but this lad, fucking hell mate, just absolutely made for our team and absolutely perfect to breath new life into everything we already have.

So fingers crossed
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Very hectic over here @19/Sid what are the potential outcomes.

As usual we look like we need to win all 3 games left to get 69 points.

Chelsea play Leicester and each have one other game to play.
    Leicester in 66 points
    Chelsea on 64 points
    One side must drop points in their game against each other.

A draw and wins in their last game sees
    Leicester 70
    Chelsea 68

Leicester win both games
    Leicester 72
    Chelsea 67

Chelsea win both games - and Leicester win their remaining game
    Chelsea 70
    Leicester 69

How will it be decided if us and Leicester ended on 69 points?
    Gd or head to head ?
    Think the pl switched to head to head results deciding it very recently over gd

I don't care about the possible permutations, as far as I am concerned with have 3 Cup finals left to play, in which we need to display the same intensity, mentality, focus, hunger, drive, decision making and desire we showed v the filthy, we need to win each one, and making the right decisions rather than anyone thinking about golden boots is absolutely crucial, as we need to score as many goals in those 3 games as we possible can, so need to be absolutely ruthless and clinical as a team, with no glory hunting, starting with our visit to West Brom on Sunday

One game, one cup final at a time, all that matters to my mind is that if we win those 3 games, one game at a time, giving each one our absolutely everything and do all of the above, scoring a number of goals, we WILL be in next season's Champions League
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”