Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: CL and EL places

The head to head only comes into effect if points, goal dif and goals scored are equal.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Very hectic over here @19/Sid what are the potential outcomes.

How will it be decided if us and Leicester ended on 69 points?
    Gd or head to head ?
    Goal difference.

It's also worth noting that for Leicester to end up on the same points tally as us (I am assuming purely for the sake of the example that we both finish on 69 points, am not presuming that we will do it) they won't have won their last 2 matches - whereas we will have won 3.

The chances of their goal difference being better than ours are very slim, given ours would go up 3 times - at the absolute worst (three 1-0 victories) improving by +3, therefore I think the prospect of worrying about us losing out on 4th spot due to goal difference is a pretty unlikely scenario unless a Spurs side that are fuelled by a desire to finish above Arsenal/sneak a Europa spot/have Harry Kane setting an example as he tries to get the Golden Boot end up totally folding against a manager who will be on edge about the prospect of bottling a Champion's League spot again.

In terms of having goal difference concerns, the "real" worry to have would be the following scenario -

Leicester beat Chelsea, meaning points-wise we can afford a draw. High risk though due to goal difference. So, for example -

- If Leicester beat Chelsea 1-0 (plausible) and
    - We draw one game (West Brom say) and win the other (Burnley say) 1-0 then the position going into the final game would be -

4th - Liverpool - 64 points, +21 GD
    5th - Chelsea - 64 points, +21 GD

The above scenario would make the final day a real nerve-shredder, so ideally you win all 3 games and avoid the possibility.

To include West Ham, the main headache (points-wise) would be -

Leicester ..... L D = 67 points
    Chelsea ...... W L = 67 points
    Liverpool .... W D W = 67 points
    West Ham .. W W W = 67 points

But West Ham's goal difference is way behind the rest, they'd need to be doing something like winning each game 5-0 to qualify there.

When i say 'score as many goals as we possibly can' i don't mean going out gung ho, i mean keep playing with intensity and make good decisions and make sure we score the 3 or 4 goals based on great chances created that we should do in most of our games
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Despite wanting to catch them
    In the league I am rooting for Brendan today hope the Foxes win.

He has taken plenty of stick - not sure why - his teams play good football and he deserves some reward.

Hopefully a good game.
    Last edited by Steveo; 15th May 2021 at 04:55 PM.

I expect Chelsea to bum them, Rodgers side are quite similar to the filthy in that if teams don't press them or press them effectively and sit off only looking to try and press them when they become active in their half, they are both very good sides, if teams do press them and get after them and attack them, both struggle

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Despite wanting to catch them
    In the league I am rooting for Brendan today hope the Foxes win.

He has taken plenty of stick - not sure why - his teams play good football and he deserves some reward.

Hopefully a good game.
    It’s probably better for us if they win anyway isn’t it?

Never mind. Fa cup doh

My thinking is - FA Cup win makes them potentially softer touches for their last games in the league but could go the other way in truth

22 man melee with 2 from each side being sent off would go down very nicely, like an old hoe