Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your team v Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Is mane not still in the left of the front 3?
    Not as he was, very clearly moved to hold a more constant position in the inside forward and not hanging out wide nearly as much to link up with Robbo, that change happened ages ago, keep up
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

And 19 I do know a thing or 2 about the this game.
    Stupidly I used to think you did too.

I can’t speak for Kev - but I would love to see where I suggested Jota was anything other than more likely to score goals than Bobby - not too difficult it’s true - but them’s the facts.

We must be short on numbers, even Woodburn is in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Not as he was, very clearly moved to hold a more constant position in the inside forward and not hanging out wide nearly as much to link up with Robbo, that change happened ages ago, keep up
    Why doesn’t he tell him to play 5 yards wider so that we can win again?

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Why doesn’t he tell him to play 5 yards wider so that we can win again?
    I think his plan with Jota is him playing with Mo and Mane and all 3 being narrower and interchanging, it looks like that's what he trying to do, it's not materialised yet

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    And 19 I do know a thing or 2 about the this game.
    Ooooh that's a classic

I would love to see where I suggested Jota was anything other than more likely to score goals than Bobby - not too difficult it’s true - but them’s the facts.
    I said the same, but I also added a note of caution if you remember, saying that how we tweaked things when bringing him in, looked to me like it could badly affect Mane and Robbo, and well, I called that one right too, so if his inclusion has meant Mane and Robbo are less productive, we're not scoring more goals as a team and our press and link play isn't as good

What have we gained if anything?

Facts:

Of our 9 league losses - Jota has only featured in 3 - and 1 of those as a sub for 28 minutes (loss v Chelsea).

So with Jota:
    17 games: won 9 lost 3

Without Jota:
    17 games: won 7 lost 6

I don’t personally believe these stats tell that much but they don’t appear to back up your claim. When Jota was out injured we were at our most abject this season - coinciding with our terrible run.

If Robbo and Mané get upset or their game goes to pot when another player is introduced - that doesn’t speak highly for either.

I think there is something more here.

Facts:

Of our 9 league losses - Jota has only featured in 3 - and 1 of those as a sub for 28 minutes (loss v Chelsea).

So with Jota:
    17 games: won 9 lost 3

Without Jota:
    17 games: won 7 lost 6

I don’t personally believe these stats tell that much but they don’t appear to back up your claim. When Jota was out injured we were at our most abject this season - coinciding with our terrible run.

If Robbo and Mané get upset or their game goes to pot when another player is introduced - that doesn’t speak highly for either.

I think there is something more here.
    I wanted Jota, I watched him for 2 seasons like I watched Konate (when he was bloody fit that is) Werner, Havertz, Brandt, I absolutely agree he will provide more goals than Bobby, any stats on with or without are pretty meaningless to me, because when we were without after he had been brought in, we'd already played Mane and Robbo out of their brilliant early season form by bringing him in, so again, we didn't actually gain anything

I don't think it's a case of Mane or Robbo getting upset, it's a case of having a brilliant and consistent onfield relationship and link up that was formed through the continuity of positioning and movement of both over 3 seasons AND, our left hand side was our most productive and threatening side.

I know you're often pedantic with me, but I know, that whatever you write at times, you full understand how valuable that consistency of positioning and movement is and how important players understanding of where each other will be and what runs they will be making and what they're likely to do is. it's priceless

I do understand that mate but honesty it just can’t last forever. You have to have other options and when they come in the team should be able to work.

We needed that extra forward a year earlier. I swear Bobby And Mané would still be like they were in 2019. Options does 2 things - affords rest - and they all need a break at times and it affords competition, crucial in staying competitive. Otherwise you rinse the few and they burn out.