Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your England team v Denmark

Your England team v Denmark

Well, not what I expect Southgate will do, based on what I believe and in part what I think Southgate will do, as in play the 4231 but Mount drops into make a 3 when needed anyway

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Mount Henderson Phillips

Sancho Kane Sterling

The stakes are getting increasingly higher, Hendo's approaching full fitness, I'd say he's probably half a yard further off players in his press positioning than we're used to right now, but even with that he's closer to the player, in the right place than either Rice or Phillips have been so far and those 2 have relied on being fitter and covering and making up more ground to get to players.

I say the stakes are getting increasingly higher, because England haven't played another really top team in the competition yet, and if they are successful against Denmark as they should be and I expect them to be, I just don't believe that Phillips Rice pairing has enough quality with the ball and massive game experience and management ability that Henderson brings, so for me the Denmark game is definitely the one to now start Hendo in, because he will need those balls in behind and first time balls knocked to one of our players in a great position in his pressing and counter pressing we see every week and Hendo showed tonight.

In half an hour tonight, Hendo showed just how much higher his level of ability is above Phillips and Rice, nearly a third goal for Kane from the second ball from one of Hendo's trademark balls over the top neither of the others can play, nearly an assits for Sancho from another, lots of just nicking it in front of a player and knocking it first time to one of the England players in a great position where Rice and Phillips always take a touch before looking to pass it and a goal. more than either Rice or Phillips have produced in 6 games in 30 minutes

Now is the time for Southgate to ramp it up, work with the 2 inside/wide forwards on making those run in behind immediately when they see the ball is going to Hendo in time and space in the positions he plays them from (Rashford never made one of those runs after he was introduced, despite Hendo looking for them) and Mount, Kane and the other forward it's not been played to looking to quickly get into great positions for the second ball immediately after Hendo's played the ball for either inside/wide forward

I think it is vitally important now, as although we may not especially need that for the Denmark game, if we progress as we should, we will absolutely need that extra quality and those balls in behind and to win the second balls if we face italy or Spain in the final
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Agree on Phillips and Rice. The former offers very little for me. Barely had a touch all game. Hendo came in and was involved straight away.
    We made the Ukraine look decent in the first half, something they are not. Much better second half though. The defence ( aside from Walkers inevitable gaffs) is playing well it has to be said.
    I'm personally gutted for Trent, he'll be wounded not being involved in this. He'd be playing every game.

Denmark have reappeared supercharged since that injury to Eriksen in the opening game.
    Akin to a good PL team on an inspired run.
    This game will probably be more difficult than the final.

Don't really agree with that, italy and spain have much better squads.

Then again italy picking up injury's and spain struggling

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Don't really agree with that, italy and spain have much better squads.

Then again italy picking up injury's and spain struggling
    They may well have better squads but that collective team spirit is hard to beat sometimes - as you know well!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    They may well have better squads but that collective team spirit is hard to beat sometimes - as you know well!
    Don't you think italy have that too? spain not so much, Italy have Looked great but Spinozolla (however it's spelt) has been there player of the tounry probably, and he's out for a few months now.

Can see england beating Denmark, won't be very easy though like Ukraine, but we're at wembley again, and have a chance against Italy in the final because of that, once again at wembley (I'll just assume italy will beat spain but who knows)

I'm still waiting for the usual goalkeeper howler, still hasn't happened yet surprisngly, there's still time for pickford to make it happen.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 4th July 2021 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Don't you think italy have that too? spain not so much, Italy have Looked great but Spinozolla (however it's spelt) has been there player of the tounry probably, and he's out for a few months now.

Can see england beating Denmark, won't be very easy though like Ukraine, but we're at wembley again, and have a chance against Italy in the final because of that, once again at wembley (I'll just assume italy will beat spain but who knows)

I'm still waiting for the usual goalkeeper howler, still hasn't happened yet surprisngly, there's still time for pickford to make it happen.
    Denmark are supercharged.
    England should win and the final too and maybe put an end to that 'football's coming home chants'.
    They have failed abysmally since the inception of world football.
    Either through not partaking due to arrogance or just being dire or a few times bad luck or poor choice of managers and poor management by the FA
    Uruguay is more the 'home' of world football

Denmark are supercharged.
    England should win and the final too and maybe put an end to that 'football's coming home chants'.
    They have failed abysmally since the inception of world football.
    Either through not partaking due to arrogance or just being dire or a few times bad luck or poor choice of managers and poor management by the FA
    Uruguay is more the 'home' of world football
    Uruguay world cup 1930 link
    https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/11/24/how-uruguay-lifted-the-1930-world-cup/

Brilliant. Love reading stuff like this.

England absolutely should beat Denmark, if they do that and make it to the final without improving the press and having the balls and runs in behind as an extra string to their bow and a different way of beating either Spain's or Italy's press and stopping them playing their game in the process, I think they'll very likely unstuck

Playing decent international sides with mid to lower table Premier League or Championship level midfields, forwards and defences as they've played so far using Phillips and Rice is one thing, taking on a top international side with top class defenders, midfielders, forwards and keepers is another thing entirely

If England give a top side the time and space they've afforded lesser sides through the No6 dropping off rather than being an integral part of the press I think they could very well come unstuck and the pressing of both Italy and Spain has been much better so far and Rice and Phillips haven't been creating anything in their 6 games, I don't think they have anywhere near enough top level experience to match up against Koke and Busquets or Barella and Verratti which is who they will be faced with in the positions they have been playing should England reach the final
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”