Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: England watch - Southgate watch

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    At least fix my spelling if you're going to edit my post vin, ffs!
    Ha ha - I was editing my own typos!
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Back to the 4231 with Kane not playing his natural game and no runs in behind and desperately lacking THIS in midfield, passes that make goals, especially considering the forwards England have and how they love to run in behind, England need a master at it to sort their pathetic attempts at a press and counter press out too

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

He's fucking clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    He's fucking clueless
    He is absolutely clueless, see Kane's lack of pace when played as the lone front man throughout, he lost some pace after the ankle injuries, that's why he developed his game to drop off, spread the play and get in the box, that's what he does, that's how he gets on the end of things for the majority of his goals and releases the inside forwards for assists so well

Hopefully if Southgate continues with not using his best players how they play at their best to win league titles and Champions League's and picks the same shite midfield and the same shite 4231 formation they get bummed by the Cech Republic

bring back the waistcoat

ITN News headline "England players under question on their performance" Really? Should absolutely be "Gareth Southgate under question on the use of his players" they may not be the best, they may lack a little technically compared to some sides, but given how their best players play for their clubs, could Southgate put them into a formation and way of playing that would at least give them a shout and like our lads at their best, although not the best football team in the world or the league, the team that no-one wants to play because they are devastatingly effective at what they do, driven, focused, organised, work harder than any other team, believe incredibly in what they do and never give up? You're God damned right he could

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Not a lot here really care, but here goes

The majority of England's best players who if used correctly, as they operate for their clubs could potentially actually give England a faint hope of Euro glory all play a well orchestrated and coordinated aggressive front foot pressing games for their clubs - Their was no sign of Southgate or his coaches using or attempting to use these players high level of ability at this in this evenings games

The majority of England's best players who if used correctly, as they operate for their clubs could potentially actually give England a faint hope of Euro glory are all used to playing with a front 3 with 2 wide/inside forwards of great ability and pace, who make frequent runs in behind to stretch opposition defences and frequently look to release these players early and play very direct to release them when the opportunity to do so is on - Their was no sign of Southgate or his coaches using or attempting to use these players high level of ability and familiarity with playing this way in this evening's game, despite England having a plethora of wide/inside forwards who can operate in this exact way

England Captain Harry Kane, has in the last 2 years developed himself into more of a playmaker forward, he is still devastating and deadly with his finishing in the box and just outside the box, but his game now is most frequently to drop off and make the play before getting into the box, supported by 2 wide/inside forwards or great pace and ability who make runs in behind to be released by Kane - Southgate and his coaches employed Kane as the 1 in a 4231 which hasn't been his game since his ankle injuries that slowed him down a little

Southgate and his coaches set up with a 4231 formation, with no front foot pressing, no runs in behind that rather than play to the strengths of the best players at his disposal, actually made them ineffectual for numerous reasons as follows:

No runs in behind meant barely any opportunities for players with the passing ability to release those players or change the point of attack by using the crossfield pass and switches and diagonals they have in their skill sets and also afforded them less time and space to pick their passes through the wide/inside forwards not stretching the pitch by forcing defenders to run back with them.

Southgate's 4231 saw several players crowding each other out and playing in the spaces other players use frequently to perform at their very best - Grealish and Lindgard were frequently in the space that Kane likes to operate in throughout the entire game - Rather than making runs in behind, Sako and Lindgard persistently came short and blocked the line for passes from deeper, medium and short positions into Kane and were constantly in the space Trent and Trippier use to play at their best and create from, as do Chilwell and James

Pickford playing in a side whose most consistent method of attack throughout the entire season has been the Everton hack man persistently hoofing long balls forward looking for Calvert-Lewin showed up really badly, he didn't once quickly throw the ball short to either full back, on any of the midfielders because, Everton don't have any full backs or midfielders who are very good with the ball in deeper positions

The 2 in the 4231 were literally all over the place and Austria were constantly allowed to find a player in really good space either side of the 2, predominantly on England's left, Bellingham's side, with acres of time and space to try and find a player making a run into the England box on the opposite side, with no midfielder or full back on England's left making any attempt to close the Austrian player with the ball down, another issue with not playing a pressing game.

All in all, on tonights showing from Southgate, for his tactics, formation and understanding of the plethora of highly rated England players he has at his disposal and what enables them to play at the levels they do for their clubs, I can't score Southgate any higher than 2/10 tonight was an absolute managerial disaster class
    Called it, not playing any kind of pressing game in modern football and instead employing an archaic system of 2 sitting midfielders in front of your back four only pressing when a player becomes active in your own half relying on set pieces and the odd decent ball to your forwards and hoping they get the job done will never be a winning formula, faced with a draw and run to the final like England had, it can get you so far, but ultimately when you play a side with a good pressing game and passing game if not pressed, you'll come unstuck

England will never win anything with Southgate and his archaic 1990's tactics

He could have brought on Foden or Grealish for Mount before Italy's equaliser. He brought on Saka who was a headless chicken and left said headless chicken take a penalty. Rash Ford and Sancho take a penalty a minute after being sent on. Clueless

I don't think Foden was available due to injury. I would have taken off Kane. "But you don't take off Kane"... And played Rashford and Grealish behind him. would have stretched the game.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    He could have brought on Foden or Grealish for Mount before Italy's equaliser. He brought on Saka who was a headless chicken and left said headless chicken take a penalty. Rash Ford and Sancho take a penalty a minute after being sent on. Clueless
    Should have brought on Sancho or Foden not Sako, Sako didn't really do anything consistently well in the minutes he had to justify him being included ahead of either of those players