Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: England watch - Southgate watch

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I thought Rice was good too and unlucky to be subbed. The second half was just chasing shadows, they just couldn't keep the ball for more than a pass or two. Thats something they gave to work on but they also need to change the Rice Phillips combo. Its good to a point but then it's limitations in terms of creativity are a hamstring.

Disappointed for Hendo, had little effect lasnite.
    Harry Kane was shite all through aside from the Ukraine game, the whole set up is about serving him and its wrong.
    Ref was good aside from the Jorginho yellow, that's a red allday.
    Agree with all your good points. It'll be interesting if Bellingham (or a.n.other) becomes a step up from hardworking but less talented Rice/ Philips combo in next couple of years. Hendo was disappointing when he came on but not the worse.

Henderson isnt really fit and its obvious to see I mean how can he be with zero footy for 4 months.

Phillips/Rice did a solid job but Italy had 3 very good technical players in midfield England dont have any so they are likely to see less of the ball against teams like Italy Spain France etc.

I mean if you were a top manager you wouldnt go near it as you are on a hiding to nothing.....3 days ago they were heroes today 3 of lads wake up to vile abuse makes you question is it worth the hassle.

I'm sure the bank accounts make it worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I'm sure the bank accounts make it worth the hassle.
    Club footy yes not sure they get paid for national duty.

If I was Saka id tell em to f**k off just play club footy

At the highest level, sitting off players, with men behind the ball only looking to press them when they become active in your own half simply isn't good enough and will never be good enough, the passing ability, vision, movement and chain reaction movement of top players is simply too good to afford them the time you do playing Southgate's/Hodgson's/Allardyce's way, by the time that pass is played to its recipient by the time you've tried to press him 'active in your own half' he's already moved the ball on to the next player and is looking for the return and others are creating other possibilities

That was England all over throughout last night's game and Rice or Phillips charging way out of where they were supposed to be playing to try a one man press an opposition player Kane or one of the other forwards should have been pressing, God knows what half arsed, half baked thinkning that was based on
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Club footy yes not sure they get paid for national duty.

If I was Saka id tell em to f**k off just play club footy
    Being an england international makes players more money than being an Irish, Jamaican or whatever international. Same with France and their plethora of players who could represent african teams.
    It comes in image rights and agents advise players in that respect.

Playing for a big football nation, increases your profile, more likely to qualify for tournaments, more likely to progress to latter stages, more likely to win a cup, and all these realities lead to more image rights and cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    England's best team with the best players at Southgate's disposal playing as they do at their best for their clubs in an aggressive pressing game with runs in behind and attacking full backs

Prickford

Trent Stones Maguire Shaw

Ward-Prowse Henderson Mount

Sancho/Foden Kane Sterling/Foden

Foden and Mount also being the best false 9 options
    If you had to pick an england side in a 4231 to press aggressively and take advantage of the personnel at England's disposal who would you pick ?

I'm amazed Southgate is getting such a easy ride considering the blunders he made during the final.
    It just shows the English love a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    If you had to pick an england side in a 4231 to press aggressively and take advantage of the personnel at England's disposal who would you pick ?
    England's best players are all better suited to a 433 or 343 so I wouldn't pick a 4231

Used in a 3 up top Sterling, Kane, Sancho, Foden, Mount, Saka

Used in a 3 in midfield Hendo, Ward-Prowse, Phillips, Mount, Foden, Saka

Used in a 4 with attacking full backs (and including) Stones, Maguire, Trent, Walker, Shaw Trippier, Saka

Used in a 3 with attacking full backs (and including) Stones Maguire Chilwell, James, Walker, Trippier, Shaw, Saka

Only players England have that play a 4231, excluding the defenders as it really isn't important to what they're required to do, are: Rashford, Grealish and Rice

I wouldn't play a 4231 under any circumstances with the players England have at their disposal, they have Kane as Captain, he isn't a No9 who is suited to being the one up top as comprehensively demonstrated throughout this tournament, Rashford and Greenwood both absolutely suck at playing No9 in that set up, the only other 9's worth an international call up (Calvert-Lewin not good enough) England have are not always plays as a false 9 or a 10, but are used there fairly frequently and successfully by their clubs or have been in the season just gone and they are Foden and Mount
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”