Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: England watch - Southgate watch

Southgate really must get England into a pressing game and start by using the players best suited and experienced at it, bed it in and introduce the others into it gradually over the qualifiers and friendlies

Prickford

Trent/Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Ward-Prowse Henderson Mount

Foden Kane Sterling

I've only included Sterling because Southgate won't not start him, but he's become second choice behind Foden at City because Foden offers better movement, runs in behind and far better intensity in their pressing and is more clinical than Sterling, if it we me I'd start Sancho right and Foden left
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I'm amazed Southgate is getting such a easy ride considering the blunders he made during the final.
    It just shows the English love a loser.
    Yep.

The media (well Gary, Frank and Rio) going on about the exciting young players we had going into the tournament and Southgate leaves most of them on the bench.

How do you get away with playing wingbacks with your best header of the ball doing his best Bobby Firmino impression and playing as a false 9. If you ever get into the opposition half, who are you crossing to? (opening goal aside )

I just want an English manager with a pair of balls and the ability to play with some sort of attacking intent.

If you keep picking managers who prioritise running and lungs over touch and technique then we'll never win another major tournament. If you do have to play with these kinds of players then at least try and press and play in the front foot.

It's a sad state of affairs that Glenn Hoddle (a gifted baller himself) was the last England manager that wanted to play the game the 'right' way.

Sven
    McClaren
    Capello
    The Owl
    Allerdyce
    Southgate

Not an attacking idea between them.

We produce some fantastic technical ability (despite what a lot people think) but we just won't utilise them properly (if at all) . We're still obsessed with pace, power and heart. Until that changes it will be the same at every major tournament.

Sven was a decent manager by most International standards, Capello is one of the greatest managers of all time ( but for the 2 revoked title wins he took 9 titles out of 16 years as a club coach - and Allardyce had one game in charge. It’s the players mate.

And for a nation of almost 60,000,000 England produces an extremely low number of players with top class technical ability. Some might pick out Gerrard and Lampard but they would be wrong. Only top class technician I can think of in decades was Scholes.

Ugly fucker but top - top class.

The standard of managers can vary wildly but the end result rarely does. Face an Italy - Spain - Belgium - France - Portugal or even Croatia again in knockout - last 16 - quarters or semi - and it would have been over..
    Last edited by Steveo; 13th July 2021 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Sven was a decent manager by most International standards, Capello is one of the greatest managers of all time ( but for the 2 revoked title wins he took 9 titles out of 16 years as a club coach - and Allardyce had one game in charge. It’s the players mate.

And for a nation of almost 60,000,000 England produces an extremely low number of players with top class technical ability. Some might pick out Gerrard and Lampard but they would be wrong. Only top class technician I can think of in decades was Scholes.

Ugly fucker but top - top class.

The standard of managers can vary wildly but the end result rarely does. Face an Italy - Spain - Belgium - France - Portugal or even Croatia again in knockout - last 16 - quarters or semi - and it would have been over..
    I think you view technical ability very narrowly, I think you base it mostly on how players move and interact with each other in a short passing game and certain situation. You like ballers, you like the game to be played a certain way and it being played any other way to you means it's lacking technique.

Passing the ball through the eye of a needle requires technique, but it doesn't require sexy technique, it's vision, awareness and timing of the execution of the pass mostly

You slag of hendo's technique constantly, but I watch more football and complete 90 minutes of games than the vast majority of people, I have yet to see a single current player with his ability to consistently play the switches and balls dropped precisely over the top of defences camped just outside their 18 yard box to meet a forwards run so accurately and able to get such a high percentage of them right so frequently. Sure other players technique looks sexier, they are better at other types of passing, but those types of passing, absolutely not.

Take Veratti's ball last night the commentary were raving about, not even close, the defence were relatively high, it wasn't up and down quickly enough and it bounced up way too high and was running away from their forward because it didn't have the backspin and Veratti, for all his other abilities has attempted numerous of those types of passes this tournament, and that was his best effort and only near miss, the rest haven't even been close to releasing the forward or being a top quality up and down ball dropped over a defence to meet his forwards runs

On a technique level, defenders really struggle with those passes Hendo hits, because the technique to hit them to to travel as they do is actually very refined and requires numerous elements to be perfect for them to be successful, so to hit as many so successfully so frequently is obviously a high level of technique, albeit at that one type of ball

It is effectively like using a putting wedge in golf, you're hitting the bottom quarter of the ball with the bottom of your instep and top of your instep simultaneously, where you want to put it and how quickly you want it to come up and down changes how you need to strike it, the degree you go just through the bottom centre of the ball, how hard you hit it, how much and how quickly you retract

Why it's so hard to defend is how quickly and precisely it goes up and down, when it's hit it looks to be going further from a defenders perspective, because of the speed and angle it is travelling, but the back spin if everything, it is the backspin combined with the strength of how the ball is hit that makes it do that, it's driven and during flight, the degree of backspin with overtake the power of how you struck it and that's what makes a ball hit like that come down so quickly and go up at and angle and come down at an angle quite sharply, rather than behave as a football played a different way does, travelling up and down in an even ark, it takes incredible skill to play that ball which is why the vast majority of players are useless at it
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 13th July 2021 at 01:13 AM.

Top class pressing requires a high degree of technique also, it isn't just running about and staying close to a player, it's an art form

The other thing Hendo and Ward-Prowse have to their advantage apart from being better passers of the ball in a way that compliments England's best forwards and full backs and would facilitate England playing an aggressive front foot pressing game through their ability to release forwards in behind and full backs on the opposite side and in their pressing, is that both are very good at covering their right full backs runs forward and both have another skill neither Rice or Phillips have as both demonstrated their absence of having numerous times in the Euros, is when they're the player at RCM and supporting the inside forward wide and the ball goes back to them, both can play top quality early crosses whipped in from deep