Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: England watch - Southgate watch

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Name one player in the England squad who can actually play?

That’s not running like a lunatic and constantly throwing themselves on the floor as Grealish does - but actually playing?

Yet again - it’s young - quick and physically fit.

We got no ballers...
    Do England have players who are more than capable of delivering the right passes to find players who have the movement, awareness control and finishing ability to score goals from them? That's what playing football is, we beat a Barcelona team including Messi, Coutinho and other players you would call 'ballers' and post youtubes of them to try and illustrate that, yet we beat them 4-0 without a single baller in our line up

Do we have a manager who can use the players at his disposal to the best of their ability as their club managers do? No
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Well yes but we had Fabinho - Shaqiri, Wijnaldum and Mané all playing in and around the midfield and attacking areas - and we did get beat 3 nil in the first game in the tie.

That was a bit of a miracle of a game that one with an Anfield crowd to boot. Wouldn’t expect Engerland to be following that template

Tuchel presents a problem for Southgate, Tuchel got Chelsea players, who hadn't been playing that front foot aggressive, coordinated pressing game and the more direct passing to the 2 inside forwards from his first game in charge, those players not having operated that way under Frank or their previous managers for the players who have been there a few seasons, and he won the Champions League - Southgate has no excuses after how Tuchel transformed Chelsea from his very first game, no needing time to gel or any of the other excuses

It should be far easier for Southgate if he has any ability as a manager whatsoever, the players he has are almost all used to playing a certain way, the spaces they use and need and how they operate at their best and how that compliments other players and could all slot together very nicely like a jigsaw puzzle and really work is all very clear, is Southgate smart enough of brave enough to use the players as they play at their best? very probably not

There's some geunine exciting young players for england right now, wouldn't say it's a bad team, pretty much most of them are the best players at club (if not at top club) -- or at a top club.

That has to mean something right? maybe or 1 or 2 exceptions. like shitford, but he's not exactly playing in championship or under like wales have players from.

It's just a shame about the manager, it would be interesting if we had a actual attack minded, good playing football manager but yeah, lolers england's a joke, just like the eurovision

Shame about the manager indeed and you never know - it could just click. They will score plenty from set pieces as in 2018 that much is a given

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Do England have players who are more than capable of delivering the right passes to find players who have the movement, awareness control and finishing ability to score goals from them? That's what playing football is, we beat a Barcelona team including Messi, Coutinho and other players you would call 'ballers' and post youtubes of them to try and illustrate that, yet we beat them 4-0 without a single baller in our line up

Do we have a manager who can use the players at his disposal to the best of their ability as their club managers do? No
    Your last paragraph, nearly every manager has gone to a tournament and not been able to get the best out of his players, if they had have done, we would have won it more than once, or at least come closer than some of the squads have. This one will be coming home early too imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    There's some geunine exciting young players for england right now, wouldn't say it's a bad team, pretty much most of them are the best players at club (if not at top club) -- or at a top club.

That has to mean something right? maybe or 1 or 2 exceptions. like shitford, but he's not exactly playing in championship or under like wales have players from.

It's just a shame about the manager, it would be interesting if we had a actual attack minded, good playing football manager but yeah, lolers england's a joke, just like the eurovision
    Well, his options for lining the players he has up to perform at their best levels are:

433 or 343/3412 with the two being the players who regularly play as inside forwards who freely move between inside left or right positions and taking up wider positions AND make fucking runs in behind, massive part of how these players all operate at club levels is the inside forwards making runs in behind

Southgate's most likely to play 3412, but just doesn't seem able to coordinate a well coordinated front foot pressing game

I reckon Kane will be managing as much as Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyLFC View Post
    Southgate allowing their "star" player, Kane, to ignore what's best for the team and play anywhere he likes. Poor and boring as usual from England. Grealish and Saka - quality.
    What's best for the team is Kane playing the role he's played so well for Spurs the last 2 seasons, dropping off to get possession right across the line, spreading play before getting in the box, with two inside/wide forwards making runs in behind and ahead of him, just as Southgate using all the other players how they play at their best for their clubs is, rather than having them all playing differently from that so they can't perform at their best and in the space each other like to use and play at their best using so crowding each other out

I also don't see where Grealish fits in, yes he is talented, but how he plays doesn't fit in with how the other players play at their best for their clubs, it's worse than the Gerrard/Lampard England debacle, in which is was clear that Gerrard should have played as a No10 in the team England had back then, and no matter how good Lampard's club form was, he should have been second choice behind Gerrard for that role and to make England's best side, you couldn't play both of them.

Southgate isn't using his best players in their best positions and for me, he wants to include Grealish as he gave him the No7 shirt to make that pretty clear, and that's also why he's trying to play the 4231 that is nothing like the best system for the rest of the players

For me, players in their best positions in order of who should start from left to right (I'm including Trent)

Henderson/Prickford

Trent/James/Trippier/Walker Stones Maguire/Mings Chilwell/Shaw

Rice/Henderson/Bellingham Henderson/Phillips/Rice Mount/Foden/Bellingham

Sancho/Foden/Sterling Kane/Mount/Foden Foden/Sterling/Rashford

The other players should just be subs to try something different if England are chasing the game, I went for henderson as keeper because he's a very good keeper and has better distribution than Prickford, I think Prickford probably edges it on the keeping front, but only just, but his Everton long ball distribution simply isn't good enough