Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: England watch - Southgate watch

England have had a problem for a long time.
    Pick the best players (e.g. the golden generation) or pick the best team.
    The media shouts most-times and the manager buckles.
    I think Sven tried a team mentality and was our most successful manager results-wise and also made the England manager job very well paid and sought-after compared to previous eras when no-one wanted it. He messed up.
    Southgate? What is his best team? I don't know, injuries prevail at present but I think they can win this with the youth and experience combination.

The problem with the England is always the same problem. They are not fluent has a team. The Spanish Dutch Croatians and other countries are brought up playing with the ball and how to control games.The French not only have skilful players they have very strong physical players.England have good forwards. Just the opposition stop the forwards by controlling the ball in the midfield.England may play with 3 at the back and try and keep possession deeper. It worked in the world cup against lesser sides.. Against the Croatians they came unstuck. because the Croats are jus technically better.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    England have had a problem for a long time.
    Pick the best players (e.g. the golden generation) or pick the best team.
    The media shouts most-times and the manager buckles.
    That's long been England's problem

A new addition to that is that we now have the 3 top teams in the Premier League, Liverpool, City and Chelsea all playing a very similar style, City's more possession based in trying to pass through teams with possession, although not nearly as possession based in the last few seasons in that they have tried to be more like Jurgen's 19/20 Champions and play a lot more direct when it is on and happily and readily take shots on from distance now also

If you look at the players Southgate has to pick from, the majority of the very best players are from teams who all play a very similar front foot, high energy coordinated aggressive pressing and counter pressing game 2 play this way in a 433, 1 plays this way in a 343 2 of those teams however have all non English players who make their midfield engine room tick and release the full backs and 2 inside/wide forwards, so Southgate's most obvious set up should have been to play a 433 or a 343 game as most of his very best and successful players operate in and both formations that Kane, whose game in the past 2 seasons hasn't been operating as an out and out No9, but frequently dropping off into the positions a false 9 plays in, receiving the ball, making play and then getting in the box

The only keeper he has who is used to trying to play out from the back and not playing hoof ball in Henderson, the forwards he has are all ideal for the system, the full backs also, but only one of the Cbs and one of the CMs

Henderson

Trent Stones ?????? Chilwell

Ward-Prowse Henderson Mount

Sancho Kane Foden

Could easily play Grealish at LFWD and Mount or Foden at LCM, Southgates main issues are Cb's who are used to playing this way and CMs who can provide the passing the full backs and inside/wide forwards making the runs in behind and inside out runs or outside in runs thrive on, Hendo and Ward-Prowse are the only 2 who offer that, one isn't fully fit and he didn't take the other

Common sense should have dictated for the best possible outcome from the tournament and to use the players to the best of their abilities how they play and in a system they play in or very similar to the one they play in for their clubs

I saw France's friendly tonight, all the players front foot pressing as they do at their clubs when they don't have the ball and all their best players used in their best positions, I wouldn't give Southgate's rabble a hope in hell of taking on France in the 4231 without the coordinated front foot pressing and with just Kane up top who likes to drop off and no runs in behind
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Justme is right - it’s the lack of technical ability. None of them are good with the ball at their feet - Paul Scholes was the last one I saw who was truly comfortable. They all want to run. They are all physical specimens picked for strength and speed. It gets you so far.

Every country has media pressure on the national side but when a nation with with a joke domestic league and only 4 million people - has more technique in its squad than a nation with one of the top leagues on the planet and over 55 million - you have to face reality.

The English don’t know the finer details of the game.

If they want to do better than usual - ‘this time’ - Grealish and Foden have to be used in the starting 11.

Even if Grealish doesn’t open up the gaps he will get the free kicks his flailing-armed-leaping shall warrant.

Well, much better from Southgate and England today

Used employed something of a 433 hybrid, with both inside/wide forwards getting in advance of Kane regularly and making the runs in behind, how most of England's best players operate at club level and that made a huge difference

I thought Phillips had an excellent game, but Mount was probably MOTM, he was more or less given a free role as the attacking midfielder in the 433 hybrid, he played it superbly and with great intelligence, supported all 3 forwards without ever getting in their space or in their way, dropped into midfield then Phillips looked to get ahead of Kane when he was allowed to play his now natural game of dropping off and making the play to then try to arrive in the box having done so

Walker was England's worst player, Stones had to bail out his poor positioning at times it was so poor he couldn't correct it with his pace and that against a very poor Croatia outfit and going forward, released in great space wide 3 or 4 times with Kane arriving in the box, his delivery was absolutely piss poor, Trent would almost certainly have had 2 assists in today's game and Trippier or James would have likely had one and none of them would have needed to be bailed out by Stones.

I've never rated Walker, why the pundits think he's exceptional in any way is beyond me, there's nothing exceptional about having great pace and making up for piss poor positioning and reading of the game by using it and having to do that numerous times in games, that's an accident waiting to happen, and when it does happen, Walker frequently compounds that by making poor and rash decisions, I think he's given away 4 pens this season doing just that, England need better if they want to go a long way in this tournament, A LOT better, Trippier or James would both be better used at RB than Walker, they'd support the RFWDs runs in behind better too and put better quality into the box for Kane also.

Rice was solid enough, but every single pass was sideways or backwards, again if England have aspirations of going a long way in this tournament they need to get Hendo into that role to help make the play and look to release the inside/wide forwards with his trademark quality balls for them, balls that for all Phillips' talents he doesn't have in his locker, as well as having his greater leadership, experience and know how

Decent improvement and tweaks to the set up from the friendlies, I was impressed by the 433 hybrid and Mount and Phillips looking to get ahead of Kane when he dropped deep to make play and Mount's support of all 3 forwards and covering Phillips when he got ahead of Kane

Walker and Rice aren't good enough, "It's like a band aid, you just need to rip it off" get the right players in at RB and DM to support the improvement with the tweaks made and look to build momentum and understanding as quickly as possible
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

England are the Spurs of International football.
    Last edited by vin; 14th June 2021 at 11:37 AM.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    England are the Spurs of International football.
    I agree really, the hype has already started like usual neville trying to make out southgate is the best manager ever.

Realitiy is soon as we meet a top team we're probably out

apparently it's better to come 2nd in our group or something for a easier r16 game?? Doubt that'll happen, can't see us struggling v scotland and Czech republic.

I doubt england get as lucky as the world cup fixtures wise.
    Last edited by vin; 14th June 2021 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    I agree really, the hype has already started like usual neville trying to make out southgate is the best manager ever.

Realitiy is soon as we meet a top team we're probably out

apparently it's better to come 2nd in our group or something for a easier r16 game?? Doubt that'll happen, can't see us struggling v scotland and Czech republic.

I doubt england get as lucky as the world cup fixtures wise.
    This gem stood out "..the rest of the continent would have taken notice" - I thought he was referring to Italy

Same as last world cup - smashing the likes of Paraguay is great for most fans in their beer gardens etc, but it's the same every tournament. I care very little about International football but watching the "hype" pushes me over the edge with England.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

At least fix my spelling if you're going to edit my post vin, ffs!