Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: England watch - Southgate watch

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I don't think Foden was available due to injury. I would have taken off Kane. "But you don't take off Kane"... And played Rashford and Grealish behind him. would have stretched the game.
    I'd have taken off Kane for Foden and Mount for Sancho and put Foden at false where he's excelled in a few games for City and had the 3 rotating and the inside/wide forward making runs in behind, but I'd have also had those players playing an aggressive pressing game from the second I walked through the door with Hendo as Captain helping me and my coaching team whip them into being able to play a strong pressing game as almost all of England's best players do for their clubs
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

England's best team with the best players at Southgate's disposal playing as they do at their best for their clubs in an aggressive pressing game with runs in behind and attacking full backs

Prickford

Trent Stones Maguire Shaw

Ward-Prowse Henderson Mount

Sancho/Foden Kane Sterling/Foden

Foden and Mount also being the best false 9 options
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

When pondering the question of how good a manager Southgate is (or isn't) and using the fact they got to a Final as evidence, just remember that Roy Hodgson took Fulham to a Europa League Final once.

He brought on his most experienced player to tighten things up then brought him off just before the penalties. Then let a 19 year old kid take the 5th penalty when experience was needed.
    We all know he's a useless manager ,but the English whoppers lap him up.

Italy had 2 penalties saved as did England. Rashford missed.

Would you have backed Hendo to score from the spot Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

I would never have had the young lad take the 5th. At least Jordan has experienced pressure.

I'd have backed Jorginho scoring and even he missed. Of course it's a lottery but he could've should've done it differently.

I am glad he didn’t take one - wish he had not declared himself fit like Virgil did and bummed this off.

To be fair to Garreth - if the young lad scores it’s a great bit of management. Sidestepping the bottler Sterling and using the lack of fear of youth. His pen gets saved and that’s the talking point.

Do feel for Saka but nobody is blaming him.

England were not good enough.

As with Croatia in 2018 - they don’t have the midfield to control these games - even with 87,000 fans screaming for every decision.

People think Grealish and Sancho are the answer - against the quality of Italy and Spain it isn’t enough. They just run at pace and move the ball a bit and in grealish’s case go to ground. Works in the Prem but different at the highest level against the best teams.

If Gareth goes more attacking - England get ripped. They don’t have the players. It’s time to finally accept it.
    Last edited by Steveo; 12th July 2021 at 08:26 AM.

I am glad he didn’t take one - wish he had not declared himself fit like Virgil did and bummed this off.
    Definitely, He should be lying up in Austria this morning with Mo and Sadio and the other lads, listening to Jurgens big laugh taking the piss out of Gareth at the breakfast table 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I'd have backed Jorginho scoring and even he missed. Of course it's a lottery but he could've should've done it differently.
    I was amazed (given the stakes on Jorginho's penalty and having watched Pickford stand his ground to save a pen) that Jorginho didn't mix it up for once and just leather it towards a corner a la Gerrard/Milner.