Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: England watch - Southgate watch

Saka should be applauded and comes out of it with huge credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I was amazed (given the stakes on Jorginho's penalty and having watched Pickford stand his ground to save a pen) that Jorginho didn't mix it up for once and just leather it towards a corner a la Gerrard/Milner.
    He went to the other corner from the one he scored against Spain. Maguire had the right idea, just bloody welly it.

Yep other side last time.

What gets me is that they are always the right idea until you miss. So often that Maguire strike is over and goes down as a wild hit. It goes in and it’s a “ fantastic penalty”.

In truth all that matters is that they go in.

Bloody lottery but the game needs a winner and it is better than a coin toss.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    What gets me is that they are always the right idea until you miss.
    That's very true.

I always mentally picture a shape like a school protractor in the goal and if it is within the confines of that shape (ie very reachable for the keeper) then I generally view it at a poor pen.

Players at the top level should be capable of finding the area outside of the "protractor" but within the frame of the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Yep other side last time.

What gets me is that they are always the right idea until you miss. So often that Maguire strike is over and goes down as a wild hit. It goes in and it’s a “ fantastic penalty”.

In truth all that matters is that they go in.

Bloody lottery but the game needs a winner and it is better than a coin toss.
    Rashfords was a cracker 😂 😂

Italy worthy winners no doubt.

England/Southgate were not brave enough Kane/Sterling should not have played 120 mins each shocking use of subs.

Mancini was brave he took Barella off whilst Southgate didnt its simple as that.

Some were suggesting UEFA would favour England that was rubbish as Kuipers was excellent last night masterclass in how to ref a game got everything bang on.

I bet West Ham are delighted as Rice put a few more quid on his price tag he was excellent to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    Italy worthy winners no doubt.

England/Southgate were not brave enough Kane/Sterling should not have played 120 mins each shocking use of subs.

Mancini was brave he took Barella off whilst Southgate didnt its simple as that.

Some were suggesting UEFA would favour England that was rubbish as Kuipers was excellent last night masterclass in how to ref a game got everything bang on.

I bet West Ham are delighted as Rice put a few more quid on his price tag he was excellent to be fair.
    He was excellent, then they replace him with Henderson who did so little, he got subbed himself.

I thought Rice was good too and unlucky to be subbed. The second half was just chasing shadows, they just couldn't keep the ball for more than a pass or two. Thats something they gave to work on but they also need to change the Rice Phillips combo. Its good to a point but then it's limitations in terms of creativity are a hamstring.

Disappointed for Hendo, had little effect lasnite.
    Harry Kane was shite all through aside from the Ukraine game, the whole set up is about serving him and its wrong.
    Ref was good aside from the Jorginho yellow, that's a red allday.
    Last edited by teesred; 12th July 2021 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Rashfords was a cracker 😂 😂
    'Crackers' more like.
    Managed to confuse himself as well as the goalie.

we're more likely to win the fa cup champions league, and the premiership in one season than england winning anything under Southgate.