Page 51 of 248 FirstFirst ... 4144454647484950515253545556575861101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    We might be looking to change though. What won us the title at a canter the other year may not do it now. Especially as our main men up front are getting older every year. All our best players are getting on really bar the full backs.
    For me in the modern game, the 433 beats all other formations, with the 343 the second best

As well as injuries last season, despite Jurgen always talking about coaching players he has, our biggest problem was not evolving what we already had

There is so much room for improvement in further developing how we use our full backs, detailed pretty thoroughly in the 'I'm backing Trent and Robbo thread' which although he won't have read it as my usual joke on the subject infers, is to a slightly lesser degree than what I was looking for, exactly everything Baldy did with Cancelo, we didn't do any of that. If you play 4231 it hugely restricts what your full backs can do and you have your LAM and RAM getting in the space the full backs use and need to play at their best

We tried to change to tappy crappy last season in a 433 and the results were disastrous in that spell, overplaying, tempo too slow, not one midfielder (including Thiago) with that right type of passing and even Baldy abandoned tappy crappy and started being more direct, going keeper to front CB to front, switches and more crosses into the box and shooting from distance and playing the percentages and more focus on pressing and counter pressing and it won him the league and got him into his first Champions League final in 10 years

As I detailed at the end of the 19-20 season, the way to evolve was never to change everything, it was to keep what made you successful, evolve the full backs, evolve the interactions between the full backs and inside forwards, educate the full backs and inside forwards on playing the percentages far better, including early balls in from deep inside/outside left and right to turn defences and to add that better attacking midfielder with better passing, crossing, shooting and dribbling than all our other midfielders

Ideally, as our squad is ageing, we need 2 CMs and another 2 young forwards of incredible potential this window, to start the process of building the next team

Malen looks a very good option as he can play anywhere in our front 3, maybe Daka is Leicester bound and we're looking to land Malen and Vlahovic

2 CMs isn't out of the question, we're rumoured to be looking at EUro U21 player of the tournament Viera at around 15m with Grujic going the other way, which could be the attacking midfielder done, and then there's the Neuhas interest for all midfield positions, got to remember Millie's age and Jones is nowhere near ready and perhaps will only make a decent squad player judging by what we've seen so far, so 2 CMs is pretty much a minimum requirement this season, as hendo will be a year older next summer and Millie might hang his boots up, so we might well be looking to go big the following summer on say Gravenberch for instance, as we'll need another one in for sure

Our budget is allegedly 50m after signing Konate plus money from player sales, Shaq, Origi, Minamino, Keita, Wilson, Davies, Woodburn, Awoniyi, Grujic all to go
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Lol Just lol so when we signed Virgil, for how Jurgen wanted our CBs to play, we didn't look to see if he had all the attributes and abilities Jurgen was looking for in players to play at CB? You don't half talk some shite at time, that's what scouting is Steveo, that's their job, to identify players who fit and have the attributes the manager wants to operate in a certain system and how he wants to play.

You love ballers, but a lot of ballers don't have the work rate, the pressing and counter pressing skills and may well not be suitable in other ways for how we play, a player can have the best stats in the world, look like a 50 million player in another team who play very differently from how we do and however good he might be in another team, simply isn't what we need

'Foil for Thiago' , he is an exceptional player, but only found form by playing the passes Hendo did in 19-20 only not as well, to much whip, too flighty, to difficult to get under control from the top spin he frequently put on them too much of the time as opposed to backspin, you just get all warm and fuzzy because his technique makes them look sexier, I focus on the efficiency of them and his Hendo passing was not surprisingly, not as good as Hendo's. Maybe learn to focus not on whether a players technique gets you aroused, but whether or not it actually fulfils it's required purpose as efficiently as it should do
    Haha… Another belter from the melter.

This should be held up as a genuine example - as hard evidence that empty vessels make the most noise. Prattling on and on….and on but not actually saying anything at all.

Thiago really should watch Hendo much more closely….. …..for insight into the finer details of the sport.

You are a right larrrf pet:
    Last edited by Steveo; 18th June 2021 at 07:25 AM.

Nineteens long drawn out comments go immediately on my ignore function in my brain
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Here showing why he will in future need to stop making these mistakes and instead use Henderson as a benchmark.

Needs to learn how to pass too - play a more incisive through ball.

Seen here getting closer… Good to see him grafting and toiling away.

if anyone wants to fall asleep or have a nap or whatever, watch sweden v slovakia

Breaking, Savage is saying more quality is needed, christ I should be working for this bbc team

Alex scott, -Need more fizz to break the lines, with tempo and they need to do a bit more

Oh really?

Isak with some lovely play and nearly scored

he'd probably score 20+ here.
    Last edited by Kev0909; 18th June 2021 at 03:28 PM.

Sweden 1-0 penalty, done better 2nd half.

Looked like a defo pen there for Slovakia - not given

Sweden look quite well organised. Not so much finesse but good collective team spirit. They could prove difficult opponents later on if they progress.