Page 75 of 248 FirstFirst ... 256568697071727374757677787980818285125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Agreed that was the killer. Suarez tears said it all. Win that game and City had it all to do. FFS still makes me sick thinking about it. 3:0 at Palace... Bloody hell.

@ Kev we had Gerrard and Sturridge and Suarez. We had a dangerous winger in Sterling AND a very skilful rookie in Coutinho. We were good but - without Luis - we aint close.. Scored over 100 goals\

On Stevie G...he did carry us for many years and dragged us to win trophies - that is why comparisons with Hendo are laughable.
    Suarez is the best player I’ve ever watched playing for Liverpool

Obviously Gerrard was the superior player.. Henderson is the much better captain (in my opinion) every time you see Gerrard giving interviews theres never a hair out of place.. everything has to be perfect
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    Henderson doesn't have Gerrard's ability but he's mentally stronger.
    How so ?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

That England Scotland game was the first euro game I watched, pretty dour watching imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Bloody hell , Lee Dixon reckons Gilmore is struggling with the pace of the game all ready.
    Not good for a centre midfielder.
    Considering Gilmore got MOTM, that statement from Lee Dixon aged well.

They're discussing Pogba with France v Pogba with the filthy, I think the reason Pogba struggles in the Prem is because the best Prem sides are better than the best national teams, he's pressed a lot more, he isn't given the space to do what he likes and he struggles when he's pressed and he doesn't have Greizman, MBappe and Benzema to try and pick out the runs of either

deschamps doesn't get enough credit for France, he has some very good players, but he puts them into a team so they can play as they do at their best for their clubs, I think he's the only manager in these Euros who is doing that. Just common sense really, which is why it beggars belief almost all national managers don't do the same, pick your best players to make a team based on the similarities to how the best players operate at club level, put them into a team and set up so they can play as they do at their clubs, not rocket science

I think given the 3 best teams in our league play 433 (2 of them) and 343 (1 of them) and attacking full backs and inside/wide forwards making runs in behind, inside out runs, outside in runs with their No9 being a false 9 and they all play a high intensity front foot pressing game, it is absolutely criminal neglect for Southgate to use England's players as he does in a 4231, it isn't a system that will ever get the best out of his best players and has most of them having to play very differently from how they play at club level, as they play at their best
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Considering Gilmore got MOTM, that statement from Lee Dixon aged well.
    Happy Gilmour brought the steel

most players can play well when they have protection.. Gilmour like anyone would struggle if the game was open.. I tend not to get carried away with one performance to be a great midfielder you have to play well under all different circumstances
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    We played on the edge for all of that season, which is what got us into such a good position. He/we weren't going to change it and play for a draw.

Hendo is a very good player. He's not the second coming of christ as 19 thinks but he's far from being the Glenn Whelanesque plodder that I think quite a few on here think he is.
    Agree.
    I've said many many times that it was City who almost threw that title away. Like Arsenal in 89. We shouldn't have been near them with a few games to go. We won 13 games in a row, it was a phenomenal achievement to even be in with a shout and we would have had to win every game and it was never going to happen. City were always winning that league title.
    Heartbreaking and amazing at the same time as that run of games was just unreal.

Gerrard edges Suarez as the best I’ve ever seen as he was the best player on the pitch whatever position he played and did it for so long.

The difference between Gerrard and Henderson as captain for me is that Henderson makes everyone around him play better when he’s on the pitch, whereas players often raised their game in Gerrard’s absence. A combination of some being intimidated by his presence and some believing Gerrard would do it all anyway and not pushing themselves that extra 10%