Thread: ‘It’s an exciting time to be at LFC Women - I can’t wait to get started’

‘It’s an exciting time to be at LFC Women - I can’t wait to get started’

Leanne Kiernan admits she can’t wait to get started at Liverpool FC Women and repay the faith shown in her by manager Matt Beard.
    After playing for West Ham United under the tutelage of the Londoner, the 22-year-old was more than happy to reunite with her former boss on Merseyside.
    The Republic of Ireland international forward becomes the first signing by Liverpool FC Women during what promises to be a busy close season as the team begin a new era in Beard’s second spell as manager.
    Read on as our new signing talks about her career so far and hopes for the season ahead…

On signing for Liverpool FC Women…
    It’s crazy, a big step in my career and I’m really looking forward to it. Beardie got back in contact with me and I’ve worked with him before and really enjoyed it. So it’s exciting to be back under him.
    On growing up in Ireland and aspirations of being a professional footballer…
    A lot of people ask me that and I suppose in the back of my mind it was a big dream of mine, but back then it was a dream and that’s all it was. I signed my first professional contract three years ago and it was a dream come true, and I’ve carried that on and I’m really excited. It’s a bit mind-blowing [signing for Liverpool] but when you work hard you get far.
    On her spell at West Ham after leaving home in Ireland…
    It was crazy going from County Cavan to London, a big city, but it was great. I met great people there and I learned a lot.
    Video: Leanne Kiernan signs for LFC Women
    On the qualities she can bring to the Liverpool team…
    I’d like to say that I’m here to score goals, I’m quite quick, so hopefully I can help this team. I’ve played as a winger for the last three years and I play as a striker for my country. I just can’t wait to get back out there on the pitch with my new teammates and settle in with my new family here at Liverpool.
    On the challenge to play for Liverpool FC Women…
    The club is a great name and it definitely has great ambition. I really enjoyed the phone call with Beardie, and it grabbed me towards Liverpool and it’s just an exciting time to be here. We want promotion and that’s the big challenge this season. That’s what our main focus is and I’m really looking forward to achieving that goal.
    On the influence of Beard…
    I had just finished my first year at college when Beardie phoned me to ask whether I would be interested in coming over to West Ham United at the time. I had to come over and have a look because it was a big opportunity for me and Matt has that family feel to him and he’s quite welcoming. So it’s great for me to be back working with him again.

More...

Great stuff.