Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your England team v Italy

After tonight's inept pressing and midfield display from Rice and Phillips and Italy struggling desperately to get their press working effectively against Spain's false 9 and 2 inside/wide forwards it should be an absolute no brainer to:

Start Hendo ahead of Phillips or Rice for greater leadership, experience, ability, coordinating of an effective press, passing and crucially his ability to release England's inside/wide forwards Sterling and Sancho in behind and Shaw in space advanced left given he's our only midfielder with that ability

Allow Kane to play in the same role he played for Spurs all season and which he has dropped into for all the limited parts of his England displays in this tournament and warms up games in which he has produced very good things, dropping off in the hole, making play, looking to release players and get in the box or assist directly from there and have the 2 inside/wide forward making the runs in behind with Hendo in there who can actually find them to give Kane more time and space

Allow Shaw to bomb on a lot more when it's on with Walker sitting all game essentially as a third CB

Not rocket science, Sterling and Sancho both inside/wide forward who absolutely WILL make the runs in behind, and who also have England's best ability at creating something from nothing and running at defenders and defences and beating them or drawing 4 or 5 players to them before laying it off simply to Kane or another to release another player to score

Prickford

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Mount Henderson Rice

Sancho Kane Sterling

Is comfortably and easily England's best team to beat Italy, all the players attributes complimenting and enabling each others and doing all the thing to the Italy team they're not very good at
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Exactly. Though maybe needs to sub earlier. Phillips had a great game. Hendo brings more control when hes introduced
    The Anfield plaque is there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against

Quote Originally Posted by g-man View Post
    Exactly. Though maybe needs to sub earlier. Phillips had a great game. Hendo brings more control when hes introduced
    Lol Phillips and Rice were both like headless chickens and completely and utterly clueless and completely outclassed for 100 minutes against the might and experience of those incredible big game, Champions League regular leading lights players Delaney. Hojbjerg, Damgaard, Dolberg and Braithwaite tonight and you'd have that pair start against Barella, Veratti, Jorginho, Insigne and Chiesa on Sunday?

I cant see Southgate changing it in midfield if he did it and lost he would get slaughtered.

Sancho is a bold move but I think he goes for Saka who is an excellent young player who isnt scared of grafting.

Saka has had a great tournament. Arsenal will be worried about offers coming in for him, they won't be able to keep him if they can't finish in the top places.

To be honest, at this stage, because Southgate has given one of the only 2 players at his disposal who were absolutely integral to their club sides winning numerous trophies the cold shoulder in favour of inexperienced players who haven't won anything in top level football, one being Hendo, the other being Sterling and Sterling hasn't even landed the games biggest prize despite City's embarrassment of riches and 2 top quality first 11's, it's too late to change it.

A finely tuned, top class pressing game doesn't happen over night, Italy's is pretty good, but Mancini has been having his players play that for 3 years now, you can see it in the communication, in all their players and key players communicating where each and every one of them needs to be so they're in the right position for their press.

It starts with having one or two players who are integral to it and them directing the other players with the visual and verbal cues letting them know where they need to be, then over time, the other players start doing it naturally and all the players start giving each other the verbal and visual cues on their positioning.

Southgate's had a lot of time to initiate this process with the player who should be England Captain leading it and orchestrating it, but he hasn't, when Hendo comes on his positioning and how and where he takes his positions instantly improves England and makes them more solid and he's the only player England have who can play high quality switches and balls over the top perfect for the array of talented forwards they have who make runs in behind, BUT when he verbally and visually directs the other players, they don't do what he tells them they need to be doing anyway

England fans will just have to hope for the best, go with the woefully inexperienced Rice and Phillips who can't even coordinate an effective press through good positioning between themselves in their area, are hopeless when pressed in tight areas as Italy will press them and who don't have the passing to release England's forwards or play high quality switches, which are 2 of the best ways to beat the press.

Southgate might get very very lucky again as he did last night, the ref might be a real homer, they might get a plethora of soft fouls from England's continual diving and score from another non penalty or other set piece and somehow manage to scrape a win, carried to it by the home crowd.

At international level players can only perform at their very best if their manager realises exactly what that player brings to the group and how to use it, I don't think Southgate understands that with most of the England players, he doesn't use them anywhere near as effectively as he should be doing, but with Hendo, he has a Champions League, Premier League, WCC and Super Cup winning Captain who was absolutely integral to those successes who was the orchestrator and leader of the best pressing and counter pressing game I have seen in world football

Alisson and VVD were the main reason we got those trophies, if they hadn't been here, neither would the trophies.

John Barnes on Sky said that the performances of both Phillips and Rice in protecting the defence had been the biggest factor in England's progress to the final.

Hard to argue as there has been very little midfield inter play yet - just the one goal conceded.

It’s like a screen in front of the back line - then get it wide for the runners to run & dive - run & dive…. and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by skyebo View Post
    Alisson and VVD were the main reason we got those trophies, if they hadn't been here, neither would the trophies.
    You obviously don't appreciate the incredible value and strength or our pressing and counter pressing game, without it we could have had 2 Alisson's in goal and 2 Virgil's at CB and we still wouldn't have won a damned thing.

The reason we won trophies is our pressing and counter pressing system makes the players incredibly finely tuned to each others actions and interactions with and without the ball and how Jurgen uses the players plays to all the players strengths, making the strength and power of our team greater than the sum of it's parts, when we don't have the ball all the players are in great positions and when we win it back all the players are in great positions