Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your England team v Italy

If Sterling and Grealish both start England are bound to get at least one penalty

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    John Barnes on Sky said that the performances of both Phillips and Rice in protecting the defence had been the biggest factor in England's progress to the final.
    Oh John, he seriously said that after watching that game last night, when that pair were absolutely destroyed by Denmark's front fours pressing and movement and the defence bailed them out

Mancini and the Italian players must have been rubbing their hands in glee watching how desperately inept that pair and any of England's defenders were in their pressing, being in the right positions to press and keeping the ball and being able to work it out of tight areas under pressure from a very average press from just four players

Culminatively Rice and Phillips got done, in really bad really dangerous areas that needed the defence to bail them out through getting the ball robbed off them in tight areas, not reading the game at all well so not being in good positions to press, then quickly sprinting to players to try and make up for it and getting done or from getting too tight to a player at least 6 times each

Neither offered any form of constructive forward passing, there were four occasions when they supported an advanced player on England's right, the ball was played back to them, with England having a 3 v 2 overload on their left begging for a first time quality Hendo cross and what did they do, took a touch then played the ball backwards

This was Denmark for fucks sake, that pair have looked ok to an extent because England haven't played a single top side yet, Denmark were the best side they've played so far and had they had forward like Chiesa or Insigne to release when Rice and Phillips got done so frequently, they'd have likely scored at least 4

On Sunday, rather than playing against a decent press from well organised workmen like players and a team without the top quality forwards to capitalise on errors and loss of possession caused by them folding against the press, these players will be up against Insigne, Chiesa, Veratti, Barella and Jorginho
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I don't want it in any way, shape or form, but I can see Engerlund fluking it, possibly through a dodgy penalty (hopefully without laser assistance).

Another reason Kane should never have been England Captain, top level football in the modern era is dominated by teams who press and counter press incredibly well, Enrique didn't not select any Real Madrid player because he's a Barca man, he didn't pick them because Real don't play or have a good pressing game, that Spain side are a top class forward short of being a side that could dominate, everything else is there

In top class football, the 433 and 343 are the 2 most effective systems played with a pressing game, sometimes, in either of those formations it is going to better suit your needs to play a No9 in the centre of the front 3, sometimes it is going to serve you far better to play a false 9, although Kane drops of into the false 9 position a lot and that's become his natural game now, he doesn't have the mobility and pressing you would need from that false 9 along with his forwards ability.

Kane just looks to get the ball played into him, to feet or in the air and dive for fouls, he doesn't get away from players with speed and agility and guile like Olmo did so many times against Italy for Spain, or Foden did for City when played there, or Mount did for Chelsea when played there

It's like Southgate's thinking on the forwards, Kane goes off, play Rashford of the Everton diver through the centre.

England have had the easiest run to the final of a major tournament I have ever seen any side have in my lifetime of watching them, they have played a string of second rate outfits, Southgate might get lucky and win it, is he using the players at his disposal to get the very best from all there combined qualities and abilities to start building something that could challenge for major honours over the next 10 years? No he is not

If England score first and get a homer of a ref who keeps awarding their diving and cheating they might just win it, and I'll be happy because people might stop singing that fucking annoying song then too, but it will be through diving and cheating and having had incredibly good fortune rather than being the best side in the tournament, this England side and set up are a long long fucking way from ever being anywhere near that

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    I don't want it in any way, shape or form, but I can see Engerlund fluking it, possibly through a dodgy penalty (hopefully without laser assistance).
    There's bound to be a UEFA enquiry into the laser incident. Probably not enough time to result in sanctions v England for the Final, like a fan ban!
    I find it amazing that such s stunt could be pulled off in a relatively full stadium without detection or apprehension of the instigator(s)

I'd hope Southgate would make changes because many of England players looked knackered by the end. He's got a large squad he needs to use it. For 60 mins - Rice and Philips lost nearly every tackle and the ball. When they review that game, they've got to put that right. And don't get me started on Prickford.

We shouldn't be surprised at how Southgate plays and how desperately 1990's and limited his thinking on the game is, the vast majority of the players he picks are from Premier League teams who try and keep it tight and have a Kane, Grealish, Calvert Lewin, Rashford or Sterling when City's passing game isn't working out for them who can't play football, keep it tight, look to be very direct and get it to these players as frequently as possible for them to dive to win free kicks and penalties

I pray for a Prickford error to cost Ingurlund the match.

Would be just sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I pray for a Prickford error to cost Ingurlund the match.

Would be just sublime.
    Well, I want Hendo to win it, so I hope that doesn't happen, but there would be a certain poetic justice about it were it to happen and a real sense of Karma coming back to bite the FA and English football establishment in the arse for what they did to our club and players last season

The reason Southgate didn't have a fully fit Henderson is because as in the first meeting v the bitters, Mike Riley's Manc hatchet man ref Kavanagh of this occasion let them (several other sides too across the season) scandalously persistently foul our players throughout the entire 90 minutes, fouls that if they committed in a normal game against any other opposition, never mind against a diver like Grealish, Kane, Sterling, Calvert-Lewin, Rashford who throw themselves to ground constantly and get fouls for the slightest contact God knows how the officials would react if they were actually fouled as they allow our players to be

Henderson was playing at CB because we were without Virigl because of how Everton players were allowed to foul our lads in the first game

From CB Henderson was trying to drive the ball forward, the Everton lad starting fouling him, pulling him back by his arm and with one arm around his midrift fully 10 seconds before Kavanagh blew up, these persistent fouls had been allowed to be continued to be made our lads the entire game and Kavanagh only blew up when he saw Hendo pull injured as a result of him letting him be persistently fouled, he also gave the bitters a pen for diving cunt Calvert-Lewin, running into trent lying prostrate on the floor and throwing himself to ground, Trent having slid across to cover/block an area of the goal so Calvert-Lewin couldn't put the ball past Alisson that side

So yes, there would be an incredible degree of karma coming back to bite the corrupt English football establishment if Prickford did gift Italy victory

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    England have got lucky with the draw no doubt but had Spain won their group they would likely have been QF game.

I guess had they had to beat Germany Spain Italy its not that easy on paper.

The format as myself and Steveo have said is a joke and clearly unfair to lots of teams how it was organised.

Im not surprised England got to a SF / final as they have been at home and they do have good bunch of forwards to select.

Italy will be their hardest game but you'd be mad to say they will win it ...over the years Denmark Greece Portugal all won the Euros whilst not being the best watch or team on paper.