Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2021/22 Pre Season

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    How often do you see lacklustre performances from players when given the opportunity to show what they can do?

Not tonight, that was an excellent effort from all 12. No one had a bad half, everyone played their part. Gomez looked good, played with confidence and didn’t put a foot wrong. Tsimikas does still have a mistake in him at the back but going forward he looks an excellent alternative to Robbo.
    Ox looked as fit as …well an Ox, really energetic, driving forward at every opportunity. Had one excellent effort from the edge of the box well saved by the keeper.
    Bobby looked sharp, scored two and looked fit. Minamino looked stronger in possession, made some excellent runs and took his goal well.
    Young Kade Gordon got involved, making several good runs down the right.

Only a pre season friendly but the reds had a fantastic half.

H/T
    Liverpool 3-0 Osassuna
    Very much appreciate these updates from preseason from you, and others.

Saw what you meant regarding the ox rumour, didn't pick it up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I had to go out earlier so missed the game. I take it we played half decent?. Now bring on Saturday need a good start thats for sure.
    I know everyone is at different levels of confidence right now after the difficulties we faced last season and I can understand that.

If I can attempt to offer a crumb of comfort to folks, it's to do with our team and how footie works on the most basic of levels. Concede less than your opponent/score more than your opponent.

In terms of a defensive unit of goalie, centre-backs and defensive screen, we have an excellent set-up in terms of Alisson, any two of Matip/Gomez/Van Dijk (and Konate looks good) and the protection offered to them by Fabinho. I'd back that collective unit to concede one goal (or keep a clean sheet) more often than not.

Then I look at an attacking, counter-pressing trident of Firmino, Salah and Mane (supplemented by Jota) that get opportunities from the counter-press, counter-attacks, individual brilliance and the creative output of our excellent full-backs and I back that unit to be capable of scoring once or twice in a match more often than not.

The capacity to score regularly whilst keeping the goals against column under control will bag a side a lot of positive results, irrespective of whatever else is going on in the League - and this should be an encouraging thought, for anyone who might need it right now. Last season (and Pandemic life in general) understandably weighs heavy, but we have a lot to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Saw a video of it in super slow mo. It’s hard to see how he could have avoided some significant damage the way it rolls. Nearly goes 360 and back to where it started. So unlucky. The ball hits his foot after the guy tries to cross it and moves his foot into a compromised position at the instant before he plants it with his full weight coming behind it.
    That sounds like a nasty one, here's hoping it's nothing too serious.

Sounds like Robbo will miss 3-4 weeks which is a relief

Having become accustomed to us evolving towards a more possession-based team, it's been really interesting to see the press come back with a vengeance.

Are we going to be seeing some 17/18 style footie this season? As it sure looks it.

Robertson was taken off on the cusp of half time of Sunday's 1-1 draw with Athletic Club after hurting his right ankle.

A scan on Monday subsequently showed minor ligament damage, with Robertson pictured leaving a local Merseyside hospital in a protective boot that is standard practice for Liverpool with such injuries.

Klopp believes the Reds were fortunate not to be without their influential left-back for longer as he offered a small hint of when Robertson may be able to make his comeback.

"It could have been much worse. You saw the footage and it didn't look well but I think we got lucky.

"I am not sure [if he will return] before the international break or after, it is difficult in this situation, but [it won't be] too long.

"But yes, we have Kostas Tsimikas at the back, which is nice as well."

"I am not sure [if he will return] before the international break or after, it is difficult in this situation, but [it won't be] too long.

"But yes, we have Kostas Tsimikas at the back, which is nice as well."
    It's selfish, but in terms of our best interests, I hope if he is fit (just) prior to the break we insist he ain't going. Players having to do international duty when recovering / just freshly back is a disaster.

Kane Gordon’s run found this time and he doesn’t see the flag as he shoots wide.
    The way he broke through he looked like a taller Michael Owen. And what a player he was for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's selfish, but in terms of our best interests, I hope if he is fit (just) prior to the break we insist he ain't going. Players having to do international duty when recovering / just freshly back is a disaster.
    If you are selfish so am I the tricky part is if he is fit after 3 weeks it means he is available for Chelsea.

If we play him against them its fair to say he plays for Scotland.

You are right it can be a disaster especially if they have special training methods at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGS View Post
    If you are selfish so am I the tricky part is if he is fit after 3 weeks it means he is available for Chelsea.

If we play him against them its fair to say he plays for Scotland.

You are right it can be a disaster especially if they have special training methods at the club.
    True - unless we take a leaf out of Fergie’s book.. “Robbo plays a blinder (after coming back from injury) against Chelsea but gets withdrawn on 85 mins due to a twinge with the reds 3 goals ahead.